Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Think you have Bed Bugs? You need Blue! Have Bed Bugs? You need Blue!

(62 posts)
  1. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 29 2012 0:27:34
    #

Login to Send PM

What can I say, I love Bed Bug Blue!

I was given Bed Bug Blue some time ago to run field trials with this fecal spot test kit and all I can say is WOW! It is a MUST HAVE for anyone currently battling Bed Bugs or doing normal basic Bed Bug inspections to ensure they don't have a problem.

Having done literally thousands of inspections for people I can honestly tell you the easiest thing to find during an inspection is fecal traces left behind by Bed Bugs. But how can a person tell if what they are looking at is in fact feces if they don't have the type of experience I do? The answer is simple, Bed Bug Blue. I have tested fecal traces on every possible substrate and the test has never failed. I also made sure to test things I knew were not feces just to be sure the test would not give me a false reading, and I mean everything I could find.

Regulars on this site will agree that pictures of questionable fecal stains get posted almost daily. I'm constantly getting pictures emailed for my opinion but now people can test these things themselves. The kit is cheap, works instantly, is simple to use, and most importantly, it works as it should.

So in short ~ We have a great new tool in the box to help determine if we found fecal traces left behind by Bed Bugs. Nobody should be without this kit. Even the pro's can use it to help explain to their clients what feces looks like, how to confirm it, and how to monitor for it during treatment or during proactive inspections.

I'm not being paid for this review and do not have any connection with this product. I'm just a PCO who loves when good things come to market to help people in the fight agains Bed Bugs.

Thank you David James!

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 29 2012 1:31:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the update. Is there a contest???

I know you are not affiliated but maybe someone else will see it.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 29 2012 2:15:28
    #

Login to Send PM

TAOT,

No contest for this product yet, though we're hopeful. It's not available to consumers at all just yet.

See my latest blog post on Bed Bug Blue.

KillerQueen,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with this product in the field.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 29 2012 4:15:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the update...I would love to try it, but it makes sense to have pros use it first.

5. NeverSurrender

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 29 2012 9:41:28
    #

Login to Send PM

When it becomes available I will be adding it to my arsenal. This is very much based upon KillerQueen's very glowing review.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 29 2012 14:14:10
    #

Login to Send PM

David James has informed me that consumers can buy the pro version. The pro version will contain enough product to do 100 tests whereas the consumer one to be marketed later will have enough for 9-10 tests only.

We'll let you know as soon as stores are stocking this. US Bed Bugs will be among them.

7. djames1921

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 29 2012 14:28:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Their isn't any difference between the pro version sold now and the smaller version coming in a few weeks so both can be used by anyone, just depends how many tests you want/need to do. I've been workin on this one for at least a year. It hit home with me over christmas when me and the family took a road trip and I found a single speck on my hotel headboard, if I had the kit with me it would have made a difference.

Disclaimer I make the new bed bug blue, bed bug beacon and the packtite/packtite closet

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 29 2012 15:43:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Travel flu finally caught up with me and I have been off for a few days.

I just wanted to add that having tested the product we were so impressed that we immediately made it part of our standard operating procedures for confirmation of faecal. Although we are probably one of the few companies in the world who are experienced enough to do visual faecal confirmation this test takes all the personal interpretation out of it and gives an amazing reassurance that it is or is not faecal.

Just the other day I was dealing with someone with advanced anxiety and paranoia about bedbugs and I am 100% convinced that the faecal test gave him the confidence in my assessment and saved me about 20 minutes in convincing him that I knew what I was talking about and that it was not faecal.

Hopefully the rest of the industry will follow suit and start using this amazing product so that customers can have confidence in identification through the use of diagnostics.

Well done Mr James my hat again goes off to you on this one.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  9. bbgirl

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 29 2012 17:20:21
    #

Login to Send PM

There are some black spots on a side table that I have that I think have been there for quite a while but would like to test them. Would it work on an old stain that is really sunken in? It actually looks like it is part of the varnish finish. Also a few on the back of an Ikea bookcase that really looks like magic marker stains......really sunken in.

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 29 2012 17:36:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi bbgirl,

I got confirmation on faecal traces that where over 2 years old so yes its its faecal it will turn blue regardless of the age.

The only faecal traces it would not alert on were ones that had been heavily washed and scrubbed and where clearly not fresh.

Hope that helps.

David

11. djames1921

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 29 2012 20:56:23
    #

Login to Send PM

It will work on old fecal traces.

12. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 29 2012 21:01:26
    #

Login to Send PM

David Cain: How did you know the fecal is 2 years old? Is it from your colony? You already scared me a bit, but it fyou are tracking BB poo age..that's a really scary level of detail devoted to testing...

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 29 2012 21:19:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

We have collections of items with bedbug signs of varying ages held specifically for such tests. Some people collect snow globes I collect all things relating to bedbugs.

The 2+ year old item was in fact a sheet so heavily infested I harvested 300+ bedbugs from it before running it through decon.

Some of the items date back further but at any one point in time we like to have reserve items of furniture to donate to those in need once the infestation is cleared. Sometimes it's even better than what I have at home.

David

14. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 29 2012 21:21:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David! Hope you feel better soon.

15. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 1 2012 13:20:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I had posted this on the blog, but thought readers of the forum comment page should also know the following info.

“While I admire David James innovations and products, damp Q tips have been used for flea and bed bug feces for years, with the exception of in rusty areas. ”
    I’ve got to agree with David Cain (about Winston's comment) and also note that a damp Q-tip is not a presumptive test for blood.
    “Bed Bug Blue (TM) is designed to detect bed bug fecal stains. (In fact, it confirms the trace was left by a blood-feeding insect, as opposed to a cockroach or some other pest.)”
    But have to disagree with part of David James’ statement regarding cockroaches. In certain forensic investigations that I’ve consulted on, cockroaches (and also adult muscoid flies) have fed on blood at the crime scene and their droppings would, indeed, react positively in his test system, since I suspect it is a presumptive blood test rather than a specific bed bug fecal test. The insect droppings in certain homicide situations had initially been identified as blood spatter from a gun or knife wound even in rooms where there were no corpses. Further investigations of cockroaches and cockroach blood feeding demonstrated that the spatter was, in fact, cockroach fecal droppings and not spatter from bullet or knife impact wounds.

And an added bit of info is worth mentioning. Another presumptive test is called the Kastle-Meyer test. It uses phenolphthalein and hydrogen peroxide to test for hemoglobin and is used to test suspect fecal droppings. I posted on it here (with image) some time ago: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/2121938627.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 1 2012 13:31:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou,

Yes you are correct that in certain situations such as roaches feeding on the blood of a crime scene the test would be positive for their droppings but the reality is that this situation should not be that common even in NY. I have worked a few crimes scenes and have to say you are more likley to pick up on other signs such as the left over remains or blood soaked into the carpet/floors and would therefore know its not an appropriate time to use the test.

I still think its the best product in its class as a rapid diagnostic and is certainly safer to work with than some of the blood test kits I have seen out there.

David

17. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 1 2012 13:36:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Actually David it's more common than you think, but I was pointing out that blood spatter does not have to be blood spatter from a knife or gunshot wound. Certain spatter was indeed fecal deposition from cockroaches and flies misdiagnosed as wound spatter. Of course a pool of blood or a corpse are diagnostic unto themselves, but I was talking about fecal drops and blood spatter. I have worked with other forensic investigators in fly dropping morphology, deposition and differentiation between these artifacts and true spatter.

18. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 1 2012 13:39:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I've got to quit reading this blog during lunch...just threw out my salad (David Cain and Loubugs could start a diet plan)...

19. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 1 2012 13:42:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou,

As an odd aside but on the same subject have you heard about bedbugs hanging out on corpses? I had had a lot of conversations over the years about it and interestingly enough have treated a high proportion of under takers over the years.

Thankfully fly droppings and roach droppings even if fed on blood are unlikely to be deposited in the classic bedbug faecal locations. But since its a higher incidence in NY than London I am for once happy I live here and not there, my days of crime scene pest control are long passed but next time we meet I will share a few choice stories with you.

David

20. mindoverbbs

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 1 2012 14:15:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Guys,
    Please forgive my ignorance or let me know if this question is covered in a FAQ or product description elsewhere.

My question is this: would bedbug blue turn flea droppings blue as well as bedbug poo? Or mosquito droppings (assuming there is such thing)? Or is this product somehow isolated to specific compounds in bedbugs?

Thanks,
    MOBB

21. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 1 2012 16:25:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I have the blues.
    What do I need?

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  22. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 1 2012 18:12:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have not tested it on flea poo but that is more because of needing to. Flea poo is always more flake like in appearance and if you wet a q tip and smear it onto white paper you can clearly see it is still red and blood like in colour.

Bedbug faecal remains dark when smeared which is why it's hard to distinguish by eye from other things such as oil and makeup.

Cilecto,

May I suggest cherry juice on ice it's my new guilty pleasure since the EU opened up.

David

23. BedBugMutts

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 1 2012 20:52:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys, I needed that laugh. Sure am glad I don't have a cadaver dog. Ken Hando

24. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 1 2012 21:19:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David. It might look like ice cream.

25. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 1 2012 22:38:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Can someone clarify for me what cockroach poo looks like? Is it a case where, like fleas, you could pretty much say, "that's not from bed bugs" just by looking?

Thanks!

26. bedbugman

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 2 2012 2:41:37
    #

Login to Send PM

How does this differ from the Kastle Meyer kits? Why is this product getting so much love when it seems the same as a product that's been available for years?

27. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 2 2012 2:46:15
    #

Login to Send PM

A comparison of the Kastle-Meyer kits with Bed Bug Blue, from those who've tried both, would be useful.

28. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 2 2012 5:36:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,
    "As an odd aside but on the same subject have you heard about bedbugs hanging out on corpses?"
    --- Actually no, but we had this conversation before. It's very interesting. Of course, you just don't want to knock off your neighbor and use him as an attractant, do you? Body still had to be warm, I imagine?
    Interesting mystery for a book?
    "Thankfully fly droppings and roach droppings even if fed on blood are unlikely to be deposited in the classic bedbug faecal locations."
    --- correct.

29. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 2 2012 5:39:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Typical cockroach and flea droppings are both dry, the latter being much smaller pieces.

30. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 2 2012 5:50:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to let you know. 5 compounds used in testing for blood:
    Benzidine -- Positive result = blue color -- No longer used
    Phenolphthalein -- Positive result = pink -- Some other substance produce colors other than pink (not blood)
    O-Tolidine --Positive result = blue -- No longer used; gradually replaced by TMB
    Tetramethylbenzidine (TMB) -- Positive result = blue-green -- Most common test for blood
    Leucomalachite Green (LMG) -- Positive result = green -- Not as sensitive as TMB or specific as phenolphthalein

Both Benzidine and O-Tolidine considered dangerous and no longer used.

31. djames1921

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 2 2012 13:44:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is the deal, if you want to risk lots of false psitives go buy something off the shelf. It is how we started developing this. I had hoped it would have been that easy, but we purchased every kit you can get your hands on and tested it and we'd get positives on sharpie dots, metal screws, stains, etc. It isn't the whole story, but the concentration is key here. Someone earlier had mentioned hemastix, we got 25 false positives in a hotel room. Everything from wood grain stans to pen marks. We wanted to make something reliable to help people with one of the most common questions on this site, is this a fecal stain from a bed bug?

Disclaimer: I make bed bug blue

32. djames1921

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 2 2012 14:06:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Forgot to mention the best part, we tested all 25 spots with bed bug blue as well and got 0 false positives.

Lou,

What we use isn't on your list, which also has to do with it being more accurate. I'll ask that you email me any other guesses. No sense giving the vultures any help trying to rip me off.

33. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 2 2012 14:26:32
    #

Login to Send PM

> Interesting mystery for a book?

Ahem!

34. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 2 2012 19:21:46
    #

Login to Send PM

So does louse or flea feces cause a positive reaction?

Jim

35. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Mar 3 2012 13:37:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I would think so. I don't know any test that is specific for bed bug compounds in addition to blood components. But, I'll let you know if I come up with anything specific, but from what I can figure out it appears that it will work on "any blood-feeding ectoparasite to which the host mounts an immune response."

36. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Mar 3 2012 17:40:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Blue, Blue, Blue .... Don't be home without it! TM.

PS. Nobody takes my catch phrase without paying for it.

37. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 4 2012 0:46:46
    #

Login to Send PM

But as David and Lou both said, flea and cockroach feces don't tend to look the same as bed bug feces. This will need to be conveyed to consumers, so they don't test flea feces, get a positive, and panic.

They still need to know what bed bug feces look like compared with that of fleas and other blood feeders, perhaps also cockroaches (under the circumstances Lou outlines), etc.

38. bedbuganxiety

Account Closed

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 4 2012 8:11:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Would the product show a "positive" test for blood stains on bed sheets from humans....i.e., pimples, scratches, etc.? Wondering since it sounds like it reacts to the blood in bed bug feces. We see on here so often of people posting pics of blood stains on bedding thinking it may be bed bugs feces and the experts often say that it's from humans. Will this test be able to tell the difference between the two?

39. bugdefcon

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 4 2012 17:02:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Having watched many episodes of CSI, how is this product different from using Luminol?

http://www.nuigalway.ie/chemistry/kitchenchemistry/howstuffworks/luminol.html

40. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 4 2012 19:09:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Luminol is both highly toxic and very restricted use. It detects blood by a light producing reaction so it's not strictly colour change.

I am quite sure due to the toxicity of Luminol and it's restricted access I am probably the only pest controller who has had access to it but it's simply not safe for non forensic staff to use.

We used it for some filming that never aired but it's not a path we felt was safe to investigate for use in people's homes.

David

41. bugdefcon

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 4 2012 23:38:48
    #

Login to Send PM

There are various formulations of Luminol with varying degrees of toxcity. In the US, it is available and is not considered toxic enough to be restricted.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18700499

Also, certain forumulations are non toxic.

"Bluestar Training is non toxic"

http://www.crimescene.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=132

Since the only reason to use the "toxic" formulations is to preserve DNA, the non toxic formulation would seem to be apropos if the goal is bed bug feces detection.

42. djames1921

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 5 2012 9:09:27
    #

Login to Send PM

If you don't believe the testing we did on csi like blood tests do a google search yourself on luminol and false positives, you'll find that it reacts with some metals, plants, paints, cleaning materials, and other substances. You'll also see that you have to mix it in a bottle and spray it on suspect areas, not very convenient for a traveler who just wants to quickly know what that little black mark on the back of the headboard is or isn't. Are there other ways to test for blood which would show a positive for bed bug feces as well, yes, I just wasn't happy with the large proportion of false readings i got when i actually tested them, that is why we developed bed bug blue. We wanted something simple, easy to use, and much more reliable than running around with a squirt bottle or having a hemastix, etc, turn color on nearly every other substrate we tested it on.

Disclaimer: Obviously I make bed bug blue.

43. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 5 2012 10:10:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Having watched many episodes of CSI, how is this product different from using Luminol?

http://www.nuigalway.ie/chemistry/kitchenchemistry/howstuffworks/luminol.

The reason I didn't list it in my earlier post about commonly used presumptive blood tests is that you have to use UV light for viewing tests surfaces & suspected areas with luminol and that's not what is being done with Bed Bug Blue. It's a color change in regular light. You don't have to carry so much equipment around and as David J & David C point out above, there were many products/compounds tested to arrive at what DJ markets now.

44. bugdefcon

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 5 2012 12:08:17
    #

Login to Send PM

A UV light is not needed to see the results of Luminol. As the name suggests, it glows. They do use a UV light to photograph a scene with Luminol because it makes photography easier, much like how a flash is used for photography indoors. One of the benefits of the non toxic Luminol I posted a link to is that it glows brightly.

As for spraying it everywhere. Why would someone do that? Just use a drop bottle or simply wet a q tip with Luminol and rub it on suspected bed bug feces. There's often stuff on a mattress, especially in the seams. It could be mascara, lint, dirt, ? Travelling around with an eye dropper and a few q tips would make it easy to determine whether it's feces or not.

45. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 5 2012 13:34:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I checked again and Luminol is restricted in the UK and is not allowed for either professional or amateur use and is only available to forensic science staff.

I can only suggest that you try some extensive testing and investigation to ensure that it works and can be sold for that purpose.

But it is not an option for me to use anyway.

David

46. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 5 2012 13:59:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I stand corrected. Because if you watch CSI shows, they normally use their UV lights and orange lens glasses. It's like a firefly glow that uses 2 chemicals to produce cool light. I read your reference site and see that Luminol has its drawbacks. It is not always great because substances other than blood can produce the glow.

47. bugdefcon

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 5 2012 14:58:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, on CSI they don't use the ultraviolet light with Luminol. They use it to detect body fluids. Body fluids such as saliva, urine, blood, etc, etc fluoresce if a UV light is shined on it. Then you use Luminol to see if it's blood or not. I carry around a little UV light when I travel to check for counterfeit bills et al. I've shined it around a hotel room or two. Here's a tip, never ever let the bedspread touch any part of your body. It lights up like a billboard under UV.

Luminol will react to feces in general. That's because there's a lot of blood in feces. That's what makes it brown. The body gets rid of dead bloods cells in feces. So yes, there can be false positives. There are false positives for every test. It can let you know with reasonable reliablity whether those black dots are just lint or blood though. There are ways to see if it's human blood or not using Luminol by looking at the emission wavelength. That's probably beyond the scope of this discussion.

48. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 5 2012 17:06:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Rodent urine certainly fluoresces. Must be phosphates in the detergent to cause the fluorescence. There can't be a lot of blood in feces or it depends on what you have been eating, of course. Do you mean dead blood cells such as white cells? Red blood cells (are these still considered alive if there's no nucleus? Space in them is used by hemoglobin.) are recycled in the liver, spleen, bone marrow. Black dots wouldn't be considered lint, though.

49. bugdefcon

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 5 2012 17:22:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Dead red blood cells are processed by the liver. The iron is recycled but the heme is processed and then disposed of in feces. That's what makes poop brown.

http://biology.about.com/library/organs/bldigestliver4.htm

Black dots could be variety of things. Paint, mascara, feces or kid going crazy with a crayon.

50. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 5 2012 17:59:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Lint is fabric, thread, fibers and wouldn't be called black dots, though.

That's because there's a lot of blood in feces. That's what makes it brown. The body gets rid of dead bloods cells in feces. So yes, there can be false positives.

You explained it better in your most recent post because there isn't a lot of blood in feces, but there are components of red blood cells that are present, the components that can't be retained in the body.

51. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Mar 6 2012 10:04:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I just added the following to the blog post on Bed Bug Blue, and am copying it here too.

Bed Bug Blue is now for sale at US Bed Bugs. You can click here to view or purchase the Professional Kit which contains enough tape and fluid for 100 tests, priced at $99.

We understand the smaller consumer version of the kit (enough for 20 tests) -- which will probably be of more interest to most Bedbugger readers -- will be available from US Bed Bugs on about March 28, 2012 and may cost $29.95. This is subject to change.

Please note: purchasing through the link above or the US Bed Bugs banners/links on this site helps support the running costs of Bedbugger.com at no extra cost to you. See our Disclosure Policy for more on that.

52. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 17 2012 20:24:43
    #

Login to Send PM

And just an update on Bed Bug Blue:

Now you can get the consumer-sized Bed Bug Blue: $28.95 (enough for nine tests) as well as the professional version $99.95 (enough for 100 tests) at US Bed Bugs.

(Shopping via our affiliate ads or affiliate links like this one for US Bed Bugs helps support the running of this site at no additional cost to you; however, please note that if our readers did not like US Bed Bugs, we would not recommend them! Please see our Disclosure policy for more.)

We have a new FAQ on Bed Bug Blue also, which responds to some of the questions from pros about q-tips with saliva/water and blood tests like Hemastix here. Please comment directly on that FAQ if you have questions about it or something to add. Thanks!

53. bedbughomework

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 17 2012 23:24:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure if this question was already answered somewhere in this post, if so, I must have overlooked it. Is this something you can use on the blood smears you find on your pillow cases/sheets in the morning? If it is , I'm ordering it tomorrow!

54. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri May 18 2012 6:51:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If the blood marks are red in colour you don't need to test them as they are fresh blood marks and not indicative of bedbugs.

The kit is designed to be used on suspect faecal traces which will always be dark brown to black in colour where visual confirmation alone may not be good enough to be 100% certain such as in distinguishing between fly droppings and bedbug faecal material.

Hope that helps.

David

55. jduk

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri May 18 2012 15:18:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it available in uk?

56. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri May 18 2012 17:01:31
    #

Login to Send PM

The professional kit is one sale to pest controllers and the consumer version will be available shortly but I don't have an exact date.

I will ask the our host to do an update when we have details.

David

57. jduk

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri May 18 2012 17:59:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok thanks,will keep an eye out. Hopefully available for summer holiday season.

58. Jodielauren

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 21 2012 7:25:56
    #

Login to Send PM

If I have already had the bed frame with the fecel spots on sprayed by pest control will bed bug blue still work ?

59. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 21 2012 7:31:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Jodielauren - 3 minutes ago  » 
    If I have already had the bed frame with the fecel spots on sprayed by pest control will bed bug blue still work ?

Yes it will still work.

The only thing we have found that will render faecal traces -ve with bedbug blue are some strong cleaning products and a lot of rubbing.

I actually demonstrated BB blue for a TV crew this morning and they were amazed at how simple and effective it was. I am confident that it should become the industry standard for faecal confirmation, it certainly takes the guess work out of it.

David

60. Jodielauren

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 21 2012 15:04:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank u so much daivd u have been a lot of help !! Glad for ur expert advice ! Do u know where I can buy a bed bug blue tear in the uk ? Thanks again

61. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 21 2012 15:51:52
    #

Login to Send PM

You have a PM.

David

62. ohnonotbb

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 21 2012 16:23:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Fingers crossed! I just ordered this product. I'm in a new apartment and getting bites. I've read enough to know you can't confirm an infestation from bite symptoms. I encased my mattress & pillow before I really knew how to look for the signs. Haven't found traces on the bed, before or since, but the bites continue.

Today I found one small corner of the room that has black spots. On a baseboard about five feet the bed. I've been vacuuming the bed frame and mattress frequently, so maybe they found other refugia. Or it's just a very dirty hard to reach corner (under the radiator) that no one has cleaned in years.

I'm hoping Bed Beg Blue will give me a negative result. I had a PCO here two weeks ago but his conclusion was, "no visible traces at this time." The mattress was already encased at that point.

I have red itchy spots, a few a week, that seem to be from an insect. My skin is reacting to it like no other insect bite I've ever had. But I realize there's nothing conclusive about skin reactions.

Nobody'll be happier than I to find out it's some other issue, not bedbugs. If Bed Bug Blue tests positive on that part of the room, at least I'll know bedbugs have been in the apartment. in the last two years and I can get a pco back in here again.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

283,867 posts in 47,243 topics over 145 months by 20,836 of 21,126 members. Latest: pinkfoxes, Tomwilson28, aeb19