They're back....

(4 posts)
  1. brooklyn_bb

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 15 2017 14:16:32
    #

Login to Send PM

So I'll give you guys my story. I'm not sure what kind of response I've even looking for here, maybe some advice?

In late May of 2016 I found out I had bedbugs. I live in NYC in a large, old, apt building. I immediately bought some Cimexa and the ThermalStrike expedition bedbug heating box. I got a new bed and dusted every inch of every piece with Cimexa. I dusted around the baseboard of my bedroom and in the wall sockets. I dusted the outside of my drawers and some inside, etc. I had a lot of faith that Cimexa was going to be the wonder treatment that I needed.

I'm not at all sensitive to the bites. To me they feel a good deal like mosquito bites. My first symptom was the spots on the sheets and itchiness. I happened to be reading on the bed one day when a nymph came running towards me on the bed and it was then that I realized what was going on. My feet weren't itchy because of athlete's foot, but rather bedbugs.

I talked to my landlord and he sent the super up with a can of bedlam. I'm rent stabilized so I figure that I have a good deal of rights, and the landlord is responsible for their extermination, but I don't believe there is anywhere in the law that says that he must choose a professional exterminator.

So I figured that this new Cimexa stuff would kill them. How could they get to me? I pulled my bed away from the wall and they'd *have* to crawl through the Cimexa to get to me.

My efforts definitely made a difference but I would spot them here and there for the next three months or so. For example, I was soaking my sheets in oxyclean in hot water and I found a dead one floating. I found one on the couch, etc. Occasionally I'd see a small dark spot on the bed.

Eventually in late August I bought the interceptors. I believe that this is what made the difference. I put them on my bed / coffeetable / sofa. I really went crazy with the Cimexa and the sofa.

The last time I recall seeing a bedbug was shortly after Thanksgiving. After that I never found one in any of my traps for around 6 months. As you can imagine I declared victory. There may have been a few instances where I saw something that looked shady, but I put it out of my mind.

About a month ago, expecting guests, I removed the interceptors from the visible part of my bed. I figured that since I haven't seen much evidence, they must have gone away. About two weeks ago, however, I started getting itch and noticing black stains on the sheet. I eventually had to be honest with myself and admit that they were back.

So I re-dusted the bed, washed all of my linens, and re-installed the interceptors. I even mixed the Cimexa with water and sprayed the walls surrounding my bed from the floor up to two feet. I figured maybe my duvet was making contact with the walls overnight sometimes? It's possible they live in the walls and get to me that way.

Yesterday and today, however were the worst. Their activity has gotten much more bold. I was in the bathroom (for quite a while) yesterday and I saw an unfed adult CRAWLING ON MY SOCK. Needless to say it really bothered me. I stuck him in a glass and put some Cimexa in there to see how long he lived.

Today, shortly after waking, I threw on a shirt and shorts and sat down on my couch and I see one CRAWLING ON SHIRT near my neck. It looked like a fed third instar. I went to go check my traps and I found unfed adults in three of them. I haven't check them in a week though.

What am I telling myself? I guess I'm hoping that now that they can't get to me in my sleep that they are now hungry and seeking me out in other places. I hope that's the case. But on the other hand, I'm very worried that for some reason my neighbor has a very bad infestation suddenly and it's making its way to me. I'm also scared that this is a seasonal thing. Is it possible that my 'defeat' of the bugs was only due to it being cold and them being dormant?

What should I do now? My instinct is to re-establish all the protocols from before. Hopefully the interceptors will catch a good deal of the ones that have somehow made their way back to me. This time I feel like I should try more. I'm thinking that the Cimexa alone isn't doing the trick so I need to try some of the chemical repellents. I'm also considering hiring a professional. Finally, I might decide to stand up to my landlord and make him fix the problem. I can't be the only one with this problem.

I'd just gotten comfortable living my life like a normal person and then this happens. So frustrated right now...

2. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 15 2017 18:22:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes it is very possible these are coming from your neighbors. I would call the landlord and ask if a building wide inspection can happen. An old building with tons of cracks and crevices for them to hide is ideal for them to thrive. This situation needs professional treatment. Please call your landlord. Also don't do anymore self treatment until this has been looked at by a pro.
    Good luck

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  3. brooklyn_bb

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 15 2017 18:53:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Well my worry is he just won't be cooperative. Last time I told him about this he sent the super over with a can of bedlam. Plus there's the dreaded tenant blacklist that I would likely end up on if I ended up taking him to court.

https://www.brickunderground.com/blog/2014/05/tenant_blacklist

Apart from moving, I'm not sure how to proceed.

4. mp7ski

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 15 2017 21:33:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I'll tell you what, if I was you and I ended up on this tenant black list because of everything that transpired, I'd get a lawyer and sue his ass in a heartbeat especially if he was legally obligated to be the one to address the bed bug issue. I bet you'd win hands down considering he didnt hire a professional and solve the issue. Id sue him for pain and suffering, I'd sue him for the cost of lost belongings, I'd sue him for the cost of getting what you keep treated while moving (vikane if possible) and finally I'd sue him for slandering for putting your name on that list and to have your name taken off of it.

Does your state or city have bed bug laws?
    In some states, It's illegal for a landlords to have an apartment treated by someone who isn't licenced to do so.

Slumlords and shotty pcos need to be held accountable... period.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,292 posts in 42,113 topics over 127 months by 18,485 of 18,971 members. Latest: Completely terrified, Worried99, K_p