The professionals are coming

(7 posts)
  1. Buggernet

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 8:09:13
    #

Login to Send PM

After months and months of trying to do this on my own. And after failing once again, I have to turn to the professionals. The holidays are coming. I want to be able to buy presents and have people over. Between the cost of the sprays and washing my clothes over and over, I give up.
    I am told I would have a guarantee of 6 months free of bed bugs with this treatment.
    I am meeting with the guy today and getting an estimate. It will be three treatments over a course of a month and a half. After that, I should be free of them for at least 6 months provided I don't bring them back in. If I knew how they got here for sure, okay I can avoid it. I really don't know. It could be the hotel. It could be a bed that was given to me. It could be my son riding the bus. It could be anything.
    I am willing to put this money up if I can get at least 6 months of less anxiety. I will let you know how it goes.
    For what it is worth, he told me that these home chemicals and treatments don't eradicate them. It only pushes them further down in hiding only to come back later. And it makes their job harder. Do it yourself isn't always the way.
    I really can't take it anymore. I don't sit and relax anywhere. Ever. I get in my car and wonder. I get in someone else's car and wonder. I go to people's houses and wonder. I am really careful not to get dressed until just before I leave. And when I get home, I change my clothes. I put everything in a plastic bag to be washed. I wash everything every day. I never have a full laundry hamper. If I could only get my son to put his clothes up or away and not on the floor...and his backpack up not on the floor. He is going to make this harder. It started in his room.
    Well, wish me luck! I will keep you updated!

2. Myworstnightmare

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 12:42:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish you luck, dealing with this problem is awful. I am three chemical sprays in and still getting bites. My pco wants me to trust him and I do think he knows his stuff and is customer service oriented and has said he will not leave me with bugs. He says I need to think of it is terms of time -
    that the residual chemicals last 30 days. He sprayed two weeks apart for the first three to break the egg cycle but now will space them out by 30 days because that is how long the residual lasts. So in terms of "time" I am only a little past 1/3 of the way through the process. But man, what a thing to go through!

We are also doing the laundry every day and I am constantly picking up behind my girls. My pco says we will part ways by Halloween - I pray he is right!!!! I am also not completely sure about the source - so that is another "source" of stress! We had not been anywhere when the problem started, so it was not from travel. Library books? Movies? Kids' friend? Summer camp? I have no idea. How I wish I could know for certain.

3. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 13:08:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Myworstnightmare - 21 minutes ago  » 
    I am also not completely sure about the source - so that is another "source" of stress! We had not been anywhere when the problem started, so it was not from travel. Library books? Movies? Kids' friend? Summer camp? I have no idea. How I wish I could know for certain.

Were in the same boat.... we hadn't travelled in a year when we found them, and the place we travelled to did not have them, so it's a mystery. I wish the little jerks had a sign like 'I came from ____'

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  4. Buggernet

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 20:44:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, after talking to him at great lengths, they can come from anywhere. Camp is one of them. And the bus, cab, train. Wherever someone who had one on them, sat down and they crawled away. I showed him a picture of my son's bed and he said that it looks like they had been there for a couple months. He did spend the night at a friends house. And he travels on the bus a lot. But where he goes to, they do not have them. It could be the bed that a friend gave me months ago. She had it stored in her attic. Scares me because my granddaughter slept on it a couple times.
    So long story short, he is confident that he can get this to go away. He told me to throw out my wicker furniture, though. There is no way to rid of them inside the wicker. I had to resort to it since I threw everything else out. Guess we will be down to folding table and chairs. Anything to end this.
    He told me if I am going to buy anything new, have it here by the time they come to treat my home. This way it is all treated from the start.
    One company wanted me to wash all my clothes and bring them back after they treat. This guy says, don't worry. We treat it all. He will encase my box springs and mattresses at the second or last treatment. The encasement they have is airtight. It would just create mold.
    He doesn't think I have a very bad case of it. He did scold me for not calling him right away. Since my son slept in 2 other rooms, it spread it. I learned!
    It is going to cost me about a grand. And the cost for new furniture.
    He said I could pay each time he comes instead of all at once. That helps.
    In the meantime he says, Get dressed just before you leave. And keep your purse on the table. Don't lay it on the floor. And backpacks should be up.
    "keep living your life they way you always have". "it will get better. they will go away."
    I feel so much better. and very broke.
    Get a professional right away. If you can. I'd rather be broke for a few months than afraid to touch anyone or go anywhere.
    I just want to say that I have not had a bite for a few days. That doesn't mean they are gone. It just means they are deeper in the wall. I found evidence that they are here. I just don't see them.
    I am looking at this as a clean slate; starting over. Again I'd rather deal with it all now and be done with than a temporary fix that will come back to bite me later. Literally.
    I will keep you posted. Hang in there.

5. Myworstnightmare

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 21:13:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugger- the inspection sounds like it went well! I also did not have to dry everything- just what was out and near beds. Like my daughters stuffed animals throw pillows etc. It is very expensive. I paid just under 1000 as well. And yes we keep (well I do - have to follow up behind my daughters) all purses backpacks etc off the floor and couches. I also have a pair of pjs I sleep in and leave in the bug room. I change even if to just come out for the bathroom. My pco did not tell me to do that I'm just trying to make certain they don't come out of the "bug" room.

My pco is also confident. But it's been five weeks and I'm super tired so I'm having a little harder time keeping faith in the process. But I'm trying. I won't live with these forever I know that. When is your first treatment? It does feel good to know you are doing something to claim your house back!!!

6. Buggernet

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Sep 9 2017 8:26:47
    #

Login to Send PM

They are going to call me next week to set it up.

While I don't have a huge infestation, and he has told me some horror stories, I still feel like a fool for not calling sooner.
    Take it from me, home remedies do NOT work. It just holds them off for a time.
    They will always come back.
    I hope to be rid of them completely and sleep normal.
    Some day.

7. Buggernet

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 20:41:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Tomorrow is the big day. Have had a bite or two but nothing too bad. Mostly when I start to futz around with stuff. I don't get them in my bed. I haven't seen any evidence of them in my bed other than a skin on the bottom of my box spring.
    I am not sure what I am going to do with my cats. I have to ask that question tomorrow.
    I hope the cats will be okay to come back in the house. Well he knows I have two cats. He interacted with them while he was inspecting the place.
    Is it me or does this all seem like a bad dream since they are so sneaky and unable to kill? I mean sometimes, I wonder if they are just running around waiting on me to fall asleep.
    I couldn't sleep last night. Tonight I probably won't either. I don't even know what to do with myself for 5 hours.
    Will the bugs come out of the woodwork now and I will get bit up until they all die? I hope not. I think they are in the spare room where no one sleeps anymore. Ugh.
    I want this over.
    Treatment one of three tomorrow.
    Wish me luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,818 posts in 43,334 topics over 131 months by 18,996 of 19,572 members. Latest: April13Hincher, Bedbughell99, minicooper78