(14 posts)
  1. SpreadingBugsohmy

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 24 2017 22:34:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I am at a stand still.
    When i was younger living with my mom she got infested with bed bugs, pretty badly. Well we thought the issue was taken care of. I moved out and never had problems with bbs. Recently I have started to get bit, in the notorious line patterns, as well as my daughter. Searched up and down, could not find any bugs.
    Now i would treat my house and such, but im nervous that mt kids are bringing these home on a nightly basis from the 2 family members who watch them during the day. 1 of the 2 houses they are watched at is pretty cluttered and would be nearly impossible to treat. The other isnt horrible. But i dont think either will be willing to properly treat them. I dont want to jerk my kids out of care of two family members who love and take good care of them, but I cant stann bbs. Wtf do i do? If i eridicate the bugs to my best and judt put the kids in the bath as soonas i get home, wouldthat work? Idk what to do 😣

Oh, also possibly moving so dont want to bring bugs if at all possible.

2. BBAB

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 24 2017 22:51:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Honestly, if I were in your situation I wouldn't move until the problem got treated. And I probably would avoid being in proximity of family members with a possible bed bug infestation. This is speaking from experience. I think I may have brought bugs to a friend's place and then I moved somewhere else with very minimal items and no furniture and the bugs follows me. So just keep that in mind...

3. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 24 2017 22:53:13
    #

Login to Send PM

We always leave a laundry basket outside and make the kids strip out of all their clothes and put clean ones on outside before coming in.Then we will bag the items up abd bring them straight in and dry them,then wash and dry again.(if we think they have been somewhere with BBs) Also dont allow anyone in your house ever

4. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 24 2017 23:53:51
    #

Login to Send PM

tinatag - 56 minutes ago  » 
    Honestly, if I were in your situation I wouldn't move until the problem got treated. And I probably would avoid being in proximity of family members with a possible bed bug infestation. This is speaking from experience. I think I may have brought bugs to a friend's place and then I moved somewhere else with very minimal items and no furniture and the bugs follows me. So just keep that in mind...

Agree that ideally you would eradicate an infestation before moving but sometimes that's not an option. My landlord had us treated, I've self treated and we still have an issue. It's to the point where we don't have access to quality pcos and the landlord is unwilling to do much else leaving it up to me. He recently told me he intends to sell the house soon so now I must move out. He's giving me time to get my ducks in a row but now I have no option. Plan on pretreating everything I possibly can with ddvp strips, a dryer and a packtite, taking no furniture, and then having a moving truck fumigated.

If you don't mind, what all did you take with you and what do you think may have been the source of the bugs following you. Did you take your mattress or bedding? Did you pretreating what you took with you?

Sorry OP, not trying to hijack your thread, just curious.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  5. BBAB

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 25 2017 9:43:15
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 9 hours ago  » 

tinatag - 56 minutes ago  » 

Agree that ideally you would eradicate an infestation before moving but sometimes that's not an option. My landlord had us treated, I've self treated and we still have an issue. It's to the point where we don't have access to quality pcos and the landlord is unwilling to do much else leaving it up to me. He recently told me he intends to sell the house soon so now I must move out. He's giving me time to get my ducks in a row but now I have no option. Plan on pretreating everything I possibly can with ddvp strips, a dryer and a packtite, taking no furniture, and then having a moving truck fumigated.
    If you don't mind, what all did you take with you and what do you think may have been the source of the bugs following you. Did you take your mattress or bedding? Did you pretreating what you took with you?
    Sorry OP, not trying to hijack your thread, just curious.

I took a bunch of clothing that I dried in the heat for an hour and bagged. And a blanket that when I brought to the new place I popped into the dryer for a couple hrs. I had some suitcases in my room at the place I was living prior and I never really opened them much and when I did I always closed them back up right away and put the zippers at the top...the issue could have been with the blanket :/ but who knows...I was in a rush when moving and I just stuffed it into a tote bag because I didn't have any garbage bags left....I actually got a bite on my finger last night when I was sitting on my bed for a minute and then I pulled my blanket back and saw a blood spot on the pillow which was fresh so I smeared it with my saliva. I posted a picture of it and David identified it as being not bed bug related but considering the circumstances I really do thnk it was....I can't think of anything else it could be other than bed bugs.

6. BBAB

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 25 2017 9:43:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, I have cimexa everywhere and it's done diddly squat.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 25 2017 10:25:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I went to inspect a property today where the occupants have moved once before to get rid of the bed bugs.

I was being called in to advise on how to move and ended up explained for 45 minutes that it was never bed bugs.

Because they were only going on skin reactions they have spent 2 years getting it wrong.

This is why golden rule #1 is confirm.

If you can't find:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

It is not possible to confirm things as bed bugs.

I would suggest the OP spends some time in the FAQs to get the foundation information in place.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  8. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 25 2017 11:53:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David!

9. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 25 2017 14:16:11
    #

Login to Send PM

tinatag - 4 hours ago  » 

Cimexa works and is a useful tool, but it must be used right. Plus, if you have bed bugs in your bed somewhere, cimexa will only do so much. You can apply cimexa all over your room all you won't but it won't address the bed bugs in or on your bed. I have used cimexa to control my infestation and while it hasn't resolved it, it has helped substantially.

10. BBAB

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 25 2017 16:32:26
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 2 hours ago  » 

tinatag - 4 hours ago  » 

Cimexa works and is a useful tool, but it must be used right. Plus, if you have bed bugs in your bed somewhere, cimexa will only do so much. You can apply cimexa all over your room all you won't but it won't address the bed bugs in or on your bed. I have used cimexa to control my infestation and while it hasn't resolved it, it has helped substantially.

I have a mattress encasement so there's no way they are actually coming from the bed. I put cimexa around the futon legs and some glue traps but that doesn't seem to be helping. I'll just have to wait a couple months and see. I really do think I have bed bugs but if you say the cimexa works as well as you say it does, then who knows...

11. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 25 2017 17:06:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Mattress encasements won't keep bed bugs from harboring on them or in the futon frame. They will find any Crack or crevice, hole or seam to hide in. They can fit in cracks that are as thin as a credit card. With a futon they are most likely to harbor on the frame somewhere as opposed to the mattress as they provide more optimal harborages compared to a mattress. So just cause you encased the mattress doesn't mean there aren't bed bugs on or in your futon.

I think you should focus on finding evidence of bed bugs other than skin reactions so you're sure that's your issue. Have you ever found concrete evidence of bed bugs either before or after you moved?

12. BBAB

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 25 2017 21:03:15
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 3 hours ago  » 
    Mattress encasements won't keep bed bugs from harboring on them or in the futon frame. They will find any Crack or crevice, hole or seam to hide in. They can fit in cracks that are as thin as a credit card. With a futon they are most likely to harbor on the frame somewhere as opposed to the mattress as they provide more optimal harborages compared to a mattress. So just cause you encased the mattress doesn't mean there aren't bed bugs on or in your futon.
    I think you should focus on finding evidence of bed bugs other than skin reactions so you're sure that's your issue. Have you ever found concrete evidence of bed bugs either before or after you moved?

I'm fully aware they can harbour in the futon frame. I look everywhere for them. WELL, last night when I got home, I sat on my bed on the blanket and then my finger started to itch so I scratched and looky loo, a bite! So I lifted up my blanket and found a fresh blood stain on my pillow. I posted a picture of it and David said it didn't look like bb fecal matter and I know he's a professional but honestly? What else could it have been? I wasn't bleeding anywhere and the pillow was covered by the blanket. Then I get a bite and all of a sudden this fresh blood spot shows up on my pillow??? I know it's bed bugs. I find itchy bites on my skin after a night of sleeping or a nap sometimes too. The place I moved out of had a bed bug problem before I moved in that was treated but they definitely made a come back. I found 2 dead ones and a cast skin in the box spring so it all started coming together. I guess I should have been more skeptical considering the girl I took the room from left all her furniture including her blankets sheets and pillows in case I "needed" them...bs

13. SpreadingBugsohmy

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 26 2017 22:24:34
    #

Login to Send PM

To all asking if i have proof. I dont. But i have had 3-5 bites in a row, my daughter who sleeps in the same bed and our babysitter has. All in a row. At my mothers home, where we first ever got acquainted with the presence of bbs I found one, after getting ALOT of bites. I refuse to not treat and let the problem get worse.

14. SpreadingBugsohmy

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 26 2017 22:59:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Proudmommyto3rottenboys - 2 days ago  » 
    We always leave a laundry basket outside and make the kids strip out of all their clothes and put clean ones on outside before coming in.Then we will bag the items up abd bring them straight in and dry them,then wash and dry again.(if we think they have been somewhere with BBs) Also dont allow anyone in your house ever

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to have to really put on my A game. Neither sitter wants to believe me. Your personal opinion, please, would it be possible to have them at the sitters where there is possibly untreated bbs, and strip and bath them as soon as we get home, and still not be reinfected? I know it would be a serious PAIN but I can't live with them. Both sitters are family members (and rely on our babysitting money) and are already getting defensive and offended, thinking there is another issue, but it is literally only the BBs!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,804 posts in 49,552 topics over 153 months by 21,709 of 22,154 members. Latest: Jcschw, Zirrion, Natureboy325