The entryway: Q about how to clean items/yourself before entering your home

(4 posts)
  1. mysterybite1

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Tue Oct 31 2017 18:33:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe in the past, people would brush off their coats and clothes with a brush and used the entry way of their homes to do so, but i also think their bb problems were not assisted that much by this activity - a historian can correct this if wrong!

What exactly is meant by inspecting your bag/person before entering your home or living area? If you find a live bug, you squash it or brush it off that item, and then what? Do you have to be careful it didn't climb back on your shoe? Do you then need to quarantine your bag immediately before entering the home?

I've read that one should unpack items from luggage or bags outside the home, and also read that bbs will travel up to 100 feet to feed (this number may have been updated). Where do the bugs go after they are brushed off your luggage? In the sidewalk cracks? and are you then expected to be careful every time you walk that way? If you rinse your sidewalk with soapy water or spray it, is that enough of a contact killer as you can get?

My biggest question regards re-entry from a place that possibly had or had bed bugs, or if you are undergoing an infestation already. People here say they undress and place their clothes in the washer or a plastic bag to launder later immediately upon entering the house - not before they enter the house (the laundry room is still part of the house). How are you supposed to protect yourself and your belongings in the moments you are undressing, and where bugs can fall off your items, or crawl off of them? (not sure what the behavior of bugs to "dismount" from items is in this situation). I use a tray for shoes taped off with packing tape in hope of containing any that fall off my clothes while undressing. Any other thoughts and ideas?

2. mysterybite1

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 5 2017 6:23:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Read some more FAQs again - it's recommended to leave shoes outside, but I worry about the thin barrier between my door and my living space. and then there's the issue of undressing in the entryway, still. I need my shoes to undress in the pan. And if you don't have a pan how to catch any bugs that fall off?

3. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 5 2017 20:38:17
    #

Login to Send PM

People would use a contact killer.

4. mysterybite1

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 5 2017 21:42:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I also have a question about your underwear and other underclothes. do you need to take the same precautions with removing your underclothes from infested areas or if you wake up with more bites? I would think so, but should you take off all your clothes while on the bed and then roll up the sheets?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,823 posts in 43,336 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7