Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Test Kit for Fecal Stains? For the pros? Anyone?

(17 posts)
  1. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 6:31:55
    #

Login to Send PM

There are relatively inexpensive forensic kits out there that test for human blood. A popular one, for example, uses alcohol, phenolphthalein and hydrogen peroxide. Blood is indicated if a bright pink color is observed within seconds of the hydrogen peroxide being added. The question is would the bright pink color be observed if one tested a bed bug fecal stain? I assume it would since my understanding is that fecal stains are partially digested human blood but really not sure.

Richard

2. bbugophobic

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 11:50:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Richard,

I'm not a pro, but I can tell you that this is exactly how KillerQueen confirmed my infestation a few weeks ago when we had only the tiniest of fecal stains on our pillows. It was the only visible evidence. I would never have seen them. I've since purchased a kit to test new spots that look like fecal stains. I'm pretty sure KQ may have mentioned this in a post a while ago. Let me know if you decide to proceed. We can compare notes...or horror stories 8O. lol

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 12:02:57
    #

Login to Send PM

http://www.onlinesciencemall.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/SFV/30852/vpid/2584444/vpcsid/0/rid/126318

Fecal traces are digested blood so the properties of these tests may change.

4. queenie

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 12:13:30
    #

Login to Send PM

This is the kit that KillerQueen told me to get. It is called the presumptive blood test kit, which you can buy online for under $20.00. If it turns pink immediately within less than one minute, then it is bed bug feces. However, it will turn pink no matter what after one minute or two minutes. So, you have to look at it and examine it right away. He told me to buy white sheets and that will also help.

By the way, KillerQueen cleared my apartment for bed bugs (Rego Park/Forest Hills, Queens area). I am truly grateful to him and his wonderful, expert advice.

KillerQueen, feel free to add or correct any of my comments.

5. bbugophobic

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 12:29:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes queenie, he gave me the same advice when he did our inspection. Did you buy the kit? KillerQueen really is the best. My landlord's PCO doesn't even compare. We've only had two treatments, but I'm not optimistic. Think I will hire KQ directly, and be done with this.

6. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 15:59:39
    #

Login to Send PM

If it turns pink immediately within less than one minute, then it is bed bug feces.
    ---------------
    Thanks for your reply. I think what you mean is that if it turns pink immediately, then it's either human blood or bed bug feces, as the kit is presumptive for human blood, not specifically bed bug digest blood -- although if blackened I would assume bed bug feces.

Yes, this is the kit I'm talking about, very useful for those suspect "spots" here and there. Does KK or anyone else know whether this kit will detect only fresh blood or will it detect for example spots that might be some months old, for example behind a picture. Also, what about a laundered sheet? Will the kit detect blood after the sheet has been laundered?

Richard

7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 16:04:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Spidey: Fecal traces are digested blood so the properties of these tests may change.
    --------------
    Are you saying that the presumptive blood kit may not recognize "digested blood" and therefore not turn the sample pink, or are you saying it will recognize the digested blood sample? For sure the kit works on undigested human blood, but the question remains if it works on partially digested blood. The previous poster suggested KK says it does. Maybe he will chime in.

8. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 16:34:43
    #

Login to Send PM

The kit is a forensic test for spilled blood not for processed through a bug. The properties of digested blood may change the timing or look of the results compared to the instructions.

I would hate to see folks believe a false result because this wasn't taken into account.

KQ uses these and I would ask what he sees.

Jim

9. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 16:41:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the clarification. That was exactly my concern about the kit.

That said, I'm optimistic based on "queenie's" and "bbugophobic's" posts that the kit will react the same way to blood processed through a bed bug as to regular, unprocessed human blood. Hopefully we will get some clarification from KK or perhaps someone else who has used this kit on bed bug feces.

Richard

10. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 21:58:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I use this kit and it does work every time. I don't really need to use it because I know fecal traces when I see them but I'll use it to show clients that it is in fact blood. I have tested it against my own pure blood sample and the test does the same thing over and over.

It's a nice thing for people to use if they are unsure of what they are looking at.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

11. nervousaboutbedbugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 22:21:18
    #

Login to Send PM

KQ - how do you use the kit?

Do you use a wet Q-tip (saliva?) against the possible fecal and then wipe the Q-tip on the kit?

Thanks!

12. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 22:25:47
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 24 minutes ago  » 
    I have tested it against my own pure blood sample and the test does the same thing over and over.
    It's a nice thing for people to use if they are unsure of what they are looking at.
    Thanks for the kind words guys!

Thanks for the clarification KQ. Good thing to hear that the digestion doesn't affect the test.

Jim

13. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 6:40:53
    #

Login to Send PM

KQ -- thanks for the clarification. Do you know whether this kit will detect only fresh blood or will it detect for example spots that might be some months old, for example behind a picture. Also, what about a laundered sheet? Will the kit detect blood after the sheet has been laundered?

Nervousa: Do you use a wet Q-tip (saliva?) against the possible fecal and then wipe the Q-tip on the kit?
    -----------------
    My kit consists of four small vials of liquid (sterile water, alcohol, phenolphthalein and hydrogen peroxide) that you then add either directly on the sample or on a collected part of the sample using Q-tips or gauze pads provided. It also includes a test strip to make sure the reagents are viable and not expired. The sterile water is only used optionally in the collection sample process (wet the Q-tip or guaze and then scrape) , but not when you add the other three reagents directly to the suspected spot.

14. loubugs

old timer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 7:13:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I've used the kits before and yes the unknown (bed bug fecal stains/drops turns pink. I believe I posted this years ago: also I'm sure I've posted images of results in the past. The artistic glass and paper on newyorkvsbedbugs.org is one such test example. I've tested it on fecal drops and stains from the bed bug colonies, so sample was a "known" unknown. The reaction is immediate, you don't wait long for the reaction. Test kit also comes with a test patch to use so you understand the reaction and color change.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  15. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 7:52:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to clarify again for anyone who has or is thinking about purchasing the kit. The kit is not specfic for detecting bed bug fecal stains. It only tests for human blood.

So, say you see a darkish red spot on your pillow, you test it and it turns pink. All you really have determined is that the drop contained human blood which could have many causes (a nick shaving for example) which are non-bed bug related. In order to be able to say that the spot on your pillow is bed-bug related, you would have to be able to differentiate between fresh, old or laundered blood and a bed bug fecal stain which is partially digested human blood.

To help differentiate David Cain gave us a good guide here http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/DB2/bloodspotsPP.pdf and while I'm sure the pro's can tell the difference in an instant, to the lay person it may not be so easy.

So while there may be some uncertainty to the lay person from a positive reaction (sample turns pink) for reasons discussed, there is a good degree of certainty that the sample is not bed bug related if it doesn't turn pink. And for this reason I have found the test kit very helpful in ruling out a number of suspicious spots in my home that I initially thought might be fecal stains but turned out not to be.

Richard

16. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 22:24:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess this just about covers everything ( what everyone has said all together) but I wanted to mention Richard, if they feed and leave fecal traces, then its digested.

I know there are many places on the net that will say partially digested but thats an inaccurate statement. Just wanna keep ya sharp

17. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 22:41:58
    #

Login to Send PM

KQ: if they feed and leave fecal traces, then its digested.
    -----------------------
    In other words they only give us indigestion.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams