1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 1 2012 21:32:16
    #

Login to Send PM

How to take a photo and upload it for identification

Tips adapted and updated from this older thread:

1. Take a photo at the highest resolution you can.

Some tips on getting the best detail (from Cilecto):
    - use the macro setting of your camera, often labeled with a flower icon.
    - place your suspect bug on the glass of a flat bed scanner
    - snap your picture using a phone camera through a magnifier or loupe

Lou Sorkin recommends taking both a photo from directly above the insect and a ventral (turned over) view also if possible.

2. Upload the photo to a site that provides free photo hosting. Some possibilities include flickr.com (which our experts who actually do the IDs recommend, see below) or imgur.com, both of which give you readymade BBCode which links back to the image.

Please do not use a site which you do not know to be reputable. Please do not use ImageShack.us, or postimg.org which users have reported as causing pop-ups that set off security programs. Avoid Photobucket.com which will compress your photo to the point that it is too small for an ID, David Cain notes. Note: as of 9/2017, Photobucket cuts off access to a photo after a small number of views. Do not use it!

If you use a site which does require registration and login, please do not use an account which identifies you personally (name, email, your web persona you use on every other site, photos of your kids, etc.). If you already have a flickr account, for example, start a new anonymous one, or use another service.

That's important.

... because you should assume you're going to leave that photo up, so the link on our site does not need to be deleted. Remember that others, later, may learn from your photos, whether they were bed bugs or not. People are (hopefully) helping you, and you can help others by leaving your photo up for them to find through your thread, later. For this reason, please do not use dropbox. Thanks for your cooperation!

3. Finally, start a new thread here, including something to the effect of "bug ID needed" in the subject line. Use the provided BBCode (NOT html code) to embed the photo (using the directions below for finding this code in Flickr, using the "linked BBCode" embed code on imgur.com, or using the IMG tag if your image is self-hosted).

Providing an embedded image and a pasted in URL (web address) which will link out is ideal so everyone can see the image (on handheld devices or computers) and can also follow the link to view a full-size, more detailed photo. Embedding a flickr image will automatically provide both the embedded photo and a clickable link, and this is one reason we recommend hosting on flickr and embedding the images using flickr's code.

Please read the directions above for tips on how to take a photo that experts will be able to identify clearly.

I recommend you start an anonymous account on flickr.com (one you don't use for personally-identifying material, because the link to it is not going to be deleted later.) Upload the largest size you can to Flickr, and then smaller versions will allow users to click to see the largest size.

If you are uploading a photo to flickr.com, make sure the permissions are set to allow anyone to view the image. Please also select a Creative Commons license for the photo which allows its reuse by others.

(Why? "Because if it's "all rights reserved," we won't really know if you're the one with the right to publish it or not.)

Directions for embedding your image in the post:

Once your photo is uploaded on flickr, follow these instructions (click images below to see larger versions):

Go to the photo page, for example:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/bedbugger/347328639/in/set-72157594462215187/

Look for an arrow at the bottom right:

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 4.29.19 PM by nobugsonme, on Flickr

You will then see this:

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 4.31.08 PM by nobugsonme, on Flickr

Step a) Under "Code" click the option "BBCode" (not "HTML", the default).

Step b) Copy the code which appears in the box shown, and paste it into your post on Bedbugger's forums.

This video shows you the process, though the user interface may be slightly different now per the images above.

(I recommend you click full-screen -- or go to YouTube and click "full screen" if it doesn't work on the embedded video -- to see the details):

[+] Embed the videoGet the Flash Video

Note: please do NOT post anyone else's photos here unless they're covered by a Creative Commons license (like the one below) and unless you include the links to the photo and license as I did below. Doing so is a violation of copyright, and under the Terms and Conditions of Use of Bedbugger.com, you agree not to post material you don't have the right to post.

Copying the BBCode automatically includes the link to the photo and the license, but you need to make sure the content is appropriately licensed and not "all rights reserved."

It will look like this:

Adolescent bed bug by StarMaster, on Flickr

(Not my photo, but licensed for this use.)

People who host images elsewhere and know how to do so may also post images using an IMAGE tag in BBCode, but you should also declare that you own the rights to the image, in the post.

On imgur.com, choose the "Linked BBCode" embed code, to get a photo which links back, as I did here.

Some things you should remember:

Later, you can find your thread again later by looking in your profile (see the link in the sidebar to "View your profile."

Disclaimer: people who ID bugs on the forums are giving their time freely, without compensation, and no one is screening responses to your post. People may wrongly identify your bug. Some forum users are experts, others are not. Even among the experts, there may be difficulty in delineating between, say, a bed bug and a bat bug or swallow bug, or a photo may be misidentified due to the quality of your photo or the identifier's experience. We're not responsible for any incorrect identifications or anything that may result from that.

If you have questions about this FAQ or procedure, or if you have suggestions for improving it, please leave them below.

If you want a bug photo identified, please start a new thread! Thanks! If you need to know how to start a new thread, it's covered in the FAQS about the forums/How to use the forums.

It should go without saying, but please don't post any photos which show people or other identifying information, and everything you post should obviously be rated "G" for a general audience.

If you see photos which are inappropriate for any reason, please click "FLAG THIS POST FOR MODERATION" next to the photo, so I can look into it.

[this post has been updated and edited several times]

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 1 2012 22:08:44
    #

Login to Send PM

If you came via a direct link to this post on tips for taking a photo, the content has been moved; please go here to the first post in this thread to view it.

[admin note: removed this post, moved everything to the first post in thread, combining the tips for taking photos with the directions for uploading and embedding them, 5/18/13]

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 22 2012 9:37:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I am seeing a lot of non-embedded photos which could easily be embedded, so I am bumping this up! The instructions are linked from the FAQs about the forums, for future reference.

4. twitchin

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Oct 9 2012 10:48:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I've found an image I'd like to share with the forum, and don't want to infringe on any copyrights. The image is on another website, that does state 'All Rights Reserved'. Can this still be shared here? If so, how? Can't seem to post a direct link, and not sure how to repost the image without violating the owner's rights. I don't want there to be any confusion over the source of the image. Thanks!

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Oct 19 2012 15:50:16
    #

Login to Send PM

You can link to the page it's on and give a description so we can find the correct image.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 18 2013 16:31:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Just updated FAQ above, combining the second post (which was about taking photos) with the first (which was about hosting and embedding them) to hopefully make things easier to follow.

Feedback and suggestions welcomed!

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 20 2013 12:19:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Please also add a note to avoid photobucket as a file solution as it automatically compresses the image and all the detail is lost. This means you need to download the files and zoom in to try and get detail which is frustrating to say the least.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 20 2013 12:48:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Done!

Thanks, David.

9. oceangirl23

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jul 27 2013 19:07:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I just opened a Flickr account and they are not offering a BBC code option, just the url... am i missing something?

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jul 28 2013 1:28:16
    #

Login to Send PM

oceangirl23 - 6 hours ago  » 
    I just opened a Flickr account and they are not offering a BBC code option, just the url... am i missing something?

I am checking this now.

To get BBCode, click the little arrow to the bottom right of the photo in the lightbox, then click Grab the HTML/BBCode, then toggle the radio button from HTML to BBCode.

If you don't see that it's possible the option of sharing via codes has been disabled for this photo or account and you should check your settings.

If you still can't find it and want me to look at it, please post a link to your photo here.

11. ariley

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jul 28 2013 22:55:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

I have been trying to post some photos for an ID according to these instructions (thanks so much btw!!!), but am not sure if the post actually came through...

I can see in my profile that I've made 3 posts but there is no info under topics added. Everytime I click "Send post" I get a message that the topic could not be found. Can you let me know if you found my post?

I apologize if there are 3 of the same post from me.

Thanks so much!!!

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jul 28 2013 23:34:33
    #

Login to Send PM

ariley,

Your post hit the spam filter and has now been freed. See this explanation. It shouldn't happen again but if it does, please don't repost!

13. Buggy in Florida

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 29 2013 20:22:36
    #

Login to Send PM

This may seem a bit silly, but flickr now wants you to log in with your yahoo account, which is easily identifiable (I tried to make a new one and it asked for my yahoo ID). How do you make it anonymous? I have some pics to upload but don't want to use my photobucket account because it's not anonymous... (I tried to make a new yahoo account and it insisted on a birthdate and a valid phone number!)

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 30 2013 0:47:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Buggy in Florida - 4 hours ago  » 
    This may seem a bit silly, but flickr now wants you to log in with your yahoo account, which is easily identifiable (I tried to make a new one and it asked for my yahoo ID). How do you make it anonymous? I have some pics to upload but don't want to use my photobucket account because it's not anonymous... (I tried to make a new yahoo account and it insisted on a birthdate and a valid phone number!)

You'd have to start a new yahoo account and I would be very surprised if this can't be done with the same birthday. I am not sure it won't even allow the same phone number, but if not, just use another number (work, home, cell, etc.) and make sure the settings keep it private?

We may be getting a better photo system here very soon, I am working on it. But in the meantime, I hope this helps.

15. Okie trippin

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 22 2014 20:32:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I cannot figure out how to get a flickr account that doesn't link back to me..is there no way I could just use one of my photobucket accounts? I am not that computer literate.

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Mar 23 2014 17:55:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Okie trippin - 21 hours ago  » 
    I cannot figure out how to get a flickr account that doesn't link back to me..is there no way I could just use one of my photobucket accounts? I am not that computer literate.

Hi Okie,
    It's possible to start a second flickr account with a different email. Log out of yahoo and flickr first.

Yes, you could just use a photobucket account-- you can try it but the image may not be detailed enough and if that's the response the experts give (depending on the image), then flickr would be best.

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 22 2014 1:00:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Added video above showing how to find the BBCode on flickr and paste it into your post and voila! Embedded photos.

18. SootiredSF

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 15 2014 15:40:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi

trying to post a picture for ID and flickr doesn't look like that anymore; in addition they are mapping my pic back to my house? and I had to sign up for bloody Yahoo and they are now saying I have to post at least 5 public pics and wait a few days? Plus Yahoo insists on my phone number so 2 hours later nothing accomplished like my life for the last 10 days-unless you count covering everything in plastic an accomplishment-it doesn't pay well :/

19. SootiredSF

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 15 2014 15:41:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Doesn't Ronco have photo hosting? there has to be a better way!

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 15 2014 16:32:26
    #

Login to Send PM

SooTiredSF,
    You have to understand it's hard to keep up with all of the changes made by third parties. The directions won't change much but I will update them above.

The "mapping to your location" feature is an option you can turn on or off.

If flickr is not an option, try imgur.com as an alternative.

21. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 15 2014 16:39:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Directions for embedding a flickr photo on Bedbugger's forums (click images below to see larger versions):

Start a flickr account.
    Upload your photo.
    Then go to the photo page, for example:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/bedbugger/347328639/in/set-72157594462215187/

Look for an arrow at the bottom right:

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 4.29.19 PM by nobugsonme, on Flickr

You will then see this:

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 4.31.08 PM by nobugsonme, on Flickr

Step a) Under "Code" click the option "BBCode" (not "HTML", the default).

Step b) Copy the code which appears in the box shown, and paste it into your post on Bedbugger's forums.

22. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 15 2014 16:49:13
    #

Login to Send PM

SooTiredSF,
    I've also updated the directions above. Note the video has been left in because it is not really off-base in terms of the current interface-- you're still clicking an identical arrow symbol and still choosing BBCode and copying the code which results.

23. SootiredSF

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 15 2014 16:49:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh I do understand! I am sorry if I seemed like I was grumping @you! I am very appreciative of this site--I get upset with Yahoo trying to hijack me every time I turn around--all the bloody apps on the computer/phone appearing /disappearing like bedbugs-the constant sign-ins-sign-ups-requests for personal info to be re-directed to some totally useless page full of pop-ups

I will try again in a little bit I think it is time for me to step back from the computer a moment and do something else--Oh I know I can vacuum again---

24. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 15 2014 17:06:47
    #

Login to Send PM

SooTired,
    No worries! I would like to help you get your image up, though.
    Maybe you can put it on imgur.com -- I suspect it is less of a registration process, though I have not tried.
    I agree-- Yahoo is a pain. When flickr started, they weren't involved. However, it's still a good tool.

25. SootiredSF

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 15 2014 19:12:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Victory! Thank you--I guess that is one good thing about newer apps they are more user-friendly than after they are gobbled up by one of the giants

26. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 18:12:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I am removing this from the green stickies because it is covered in the FAQS About the Forums (How to use the forums), itself a green sticky. Fewer stickies makes it easier for people to find information.

I am tagging this thread “former stickies”, so you can find it again easily.

27. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Dec 4 2016 9:39:03
    #

Login to Send PM

28. loubugs

old timer

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Dec 4 2016 12:05:16
    #

Login to Send PM

frightened - 2 hours ago  » 
    https://imgur.com/a/GMdZy

frightened: was this an example? Can't ID here because you should create a new post for it.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  29. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Dec 5 2016 2:40:00
    #

Login to Send PM

frightened - 16 hours ago  » 
    https://imgur.com/a/GMdZy

Yes-- please repost in a new thread for ID.

"How to use the forums" for anyone else who need a to know how to do this (but I know you already know to start a thread): http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/how-to-use-the-forums

30. Readytobecritterfree

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Dec 16 2016 19:26:51
    #

Login to Send PM

31. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Dec 18 2016 20:46:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Readytobecritterfree - 2 days ago  » 
    https://m.flickr.com/photos/150275373@N02/30878243463/?xajax=1

If you want a bug photo identified, please start a new thread! Thanks! If you need to know how to start a new thread, it's covered in the FAQS about the forums/How to use the forums.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

263,726 posts in 42,631 topics over 128 months by 18,711 of 19,242 members. Latest: Brightly79, InaneVelocity, ElisaR