Swallow, bat or bed bug? [picture outside bag needed]

(10 posts)
  1. Sarrita02

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 23:25:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Any hope of being able to tell with these cruddy photos. I can't get better ones. It doesn't really matter I suppose but I'd feel better knowing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150799915@N03/

2. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 23:32:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert but they look like bed bugs.Lou should be around to answer for sure though.Hang in there

3. Sarrita02

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 23:42:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks it could be any of them. The first time we had a problem we had recently had bats. We treated, gone 11 months suddenly come back in the spring when we were taken over by birds and a raccoon. This latest round they seem to be in odd places which makes me think they're coming from the vents linked to the attic. But where I work I could bring home the regular ones too.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 4:02:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

As you can see on the link below the level of detail needed to confirm species is greater than your photos provide:

http://www.batbugs.com

If you read the links off that hub page you will be able to confirm at your end. Also if you have faecal traces present int he beds it also confirms bed bugs rather than relatives.

It is essential to get a species confirmation in cases where bat and bird bugs are feasible because you may go through months of incorrect and ineffective treatment otherwise.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 4:20:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Sarrita02 - 4 hours ago  » 
    Any hope of being able to tell with these cruddy photos. I can't get better ones. It doesn't really matter I suppose but I'd feel better knowing.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/150799915@N03/

You threw out the bugs? Would need pictures with bugs out of plastic bag and more close-up. You disabled the download of the pictures.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. Sarrita02

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 16:25:18
    #

Login to Send PM

No. I have the bugs. I just don't have any way to take better photos. I could take them out of the bag but my camera on my phone won't focus enough close up unfortunately. We have never found fecal stains or blood stains in the bed. We found the very first bug in the bed a year ago. We did find a cluster of bugs under the carpet by the window near the bed. Recently I found 2 in my bathroom (one in the toilet, one on the floor), and one in my kid's bathtub. We have found one in the slider. One near the slider under a vent. 2 on the couch. The previous time (a year ago) we dealt with this they were in random places as well. I'm the only one that has ever shown bites, which has been twice in all this time. We treated last year and had 0 activity from August to April. Then in April they magically returned again. They're also always found during the day. (Only the very first one was found at that "typical" 5 am time). We have used Temprid and it does a great job. We are going to get some cimex as well. And my husband needs to get in the attic and check it out but since we've had bats, birds, and a raccoon and he STILL hasn't fixed it (he works a lot) I'm not hopeful that's going to happen asap. So for now we've sprayed the Temprid dried and bagged everything, threw out some things, climb ups, etc.

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 16:52:47
    #

Login to Send PM

The close up image shows the detail of the antennae, and it appears the hairs go past the eyes, but that could be interference from the plastic.

What whispers the whisker?
  8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 17:23:41
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 28 minutes ago  » 
    The close up image shows the detail of the antennae, and it appears the hairs go past the eyes, but that could be interference from the plastic.

Yes, I know. It looks overall not like the common bed bug because of the length of the pronotal setae. There doesn't appear to be plastic bag interference, but a picture without the bag would help.

9. Sarrita02

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 17:17:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I'll take a picture tonight when I get home outside of the bag and see if I can try to get a better picture. I'm so sorry I just now saw these messages.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 23:49:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Sarrita02 - 6 hours ago  » 
    I'll take a picture tonight when I get home outside of the bag and see if I can try to get a better picture. I'm so sorry I just now saw these messages.

Great! I suggest starting a new thread and using a similar title. That way people will see it's an ID thread right away (you won't have to wait for me to update the brackets to say "new images added").

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

259,592 posts in 41,774 topics over 127 months by 18,321 of 18,789 members. Latest: Murtyz, Winnie93x, buggyname