Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Suggestions for monitors.

(5 posts)
  1. bedbugsbugme

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Apr 17 2017 23:18:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Upon reading some new information I am not confident that my passive monitors are enough.

March 15th I wake up to a bed bug feeding on me. I had been treated and clear from a previous light infestation in November 2016. Looked around and found no other bugs or signs. Next day I install 2 packtite passive monitors, one on each bed. Last week I installed one more monitor on my bed (king size) to be sure both sides are covered.
    All monitors have been clear and no signs or bugs have been seen since that 1 bed bug I killed last month.

But now I am not confident this monitor will catch anything if I have, say another adult somewhere with some nymphs (by now if that was was a female who laid eggs I am sure there would be a few more now).

What other monitor or procedure can i do to check besides wait until I have a full blown infestation? It costs nearly $700 JUST to have a PCO come from the city to inspect and that does not include treatment. (That would be another $700 to come back plus $400 for treatment)

I honestly hate living far from the city 😢

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 1:39:30
    #

Login to Send PM

(For anyone new to this discussion, it developed as part of this thread.)

Have you checked all of the local PCOs? I don't know how far you live from a city or town, but $700 is a lot for an inspection.

If there are bed bugs present, there will be fecal stains. One will be created each time they feed. This will happen near where they feed. So another thing you can learn to do is look for fecal stains.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bedbugsbugme

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 2:35:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I have white bed sheets on my kingsize bed but colored and black blankets so that probably doesn't help much. My husband has also taken to sleeping on top of a blanket (he has sensitive skin and any lint or crumb drives him crazy) so I hope that hasn't hidden any fecal or blood. He swears he is not itching like he did when we were infested.

I live 4 hours from the nearest city that have pest control. I have emailed some that have not responded and one (the only) canine team in the entire province. Hoping to hear from them. But so far Orkin charges by the Kilometer to travel for anything and my estimate was $700.

So I'm hoping other PCOs email or call me back soon.

I miss sleeping.

4. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 6:47:47
    #

Login to Send PM

You might try interceptor/trap type monitors that work on a different principle than the passives. The concept is that the bugs have to eat, so if you put interceptors between the bugs and the food source (you), then pretty soon will catch one, assuming you have them.

That said, in order for them to be 100% (or near) reliable, you want to take precautions that the bed area is free of bed bugs. If not, it would be possible for a bed bug to hide, for example, in your box spring and then come out every so often to feed on you, without ever going near the interceptor.

The remedy is to eliminate bed bugs of all stages and their eggs from the bed area before you install the interceptors. Problem here is that if you were expert enough to do that then you might as well do your own treatment.

So, with the understanding that they again will not be 100% reliable, you could try the interceptor approach.

If you want to go one step -- not a giant step, but a big step -- further, you could do what I did to get the interceptors closer to that 100% reliability figure.

My solution was to purchase a small portable heat treatment device sold by some of the suppliers advertising here in the forum. I then purchased an inexpensive (under $75 if I remember correctly) folding cot that would fit into the heat treatment device.

After heat treating the cot, I put the interceptors under the legs (make sure your cot has individual legs and not long bars for support) also make sure any bedding was run through the dryer at a bed bug kill protocol. To be sure I accidently didn't bring bed bugs on to the cot, I repeated the process after a couple of days. FWIW the cot (canvas sling style) was surprisingly comfortable to sleep on. Not only that, but I also slept much better knowing that I would not be feasted on that evening being protected by a sanitized sleeping area and interceptors between me and the bugs.

There is also another thread going which talks about using modified glue traps as interceptor devices as opposed to the more commonly used pitfall traps like ClimbUps. If you're a DIYer, they seem easy enough to make.

This may seem overkill to some, but given the $700 cost for an inspection, which may or may not be the best inspection, and given your understandable stress level, something to consider. And at the end, you will have a heat treatment device for future use plus a nice little camping or
    guest cot

Richard

5. bedbugsbugme

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 11:14:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah I might have to go the climb up route. Currently there is no frame on our bed. But I do have a metal one with 6 legs. I love the cot idea. Problem is my 8 month old son sleeps with me.
    I have put double sided sticky tape all around the mattress. I know bed bugs will not try crossing it. My mattress is away from the walls. So that helps me sleep a little.
    Forgot to mention that my son and I sleep seperately from husband for now (he snores REALLY loud). We sleep on a double sized mattress (aka the couch) in the livingroom.

We cannot afford another treatment as that costs over $1000. We got lucky and a relative paid for our last one and we paid it back. That relative is now unable to pay again if I needed to ask again. We could save money but by the time we did the infestation would be out of control. This is why these little devil blood suckers give me horrible anxiety!

Got an email back from the dog team.

The cost of inspect is $195. Unfortunately the travel would be high - $500 round trip.
    Please call me below if you have any questions.

Yep. So there goes that idea.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

253,386 posts in 40,546 topics over 123 months by 17,741 of 18,101 members. Latest: hopeful77, omgwhut, jadew077