Success Story: Update 6 months later

(7 posts)
  1. NeverSleepAgain

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 12:36:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I came back here in February/March to address an issue - the 2nd time in my life dealing with the little hellspawn. I received a lot of good input and wanted to relay my success story to this community. It's always good to know that the problem CAN be beat.

It all started when we moved into a house next door to our previous apartment. Well, within days we were seeing them everywhere. Not exactly a lot of bugs, but they were decentralized - every bedroom, every area, at least 1 was found, and they were sighted at least once every few days. I collapsed into a state of mental anguish I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Every day, every night was a nightmare. I began finding excuses to not come home. Walking up to the house, I could almost hear the horror music playing. In short, my house did not feel like my home.

I started realizing how established they were when I saw a nymph coming out of a crack in the ceiling of my little sister-in-law's bedroom. Wow. The ceiling, really? I was doubly terrified when I came back into the room with our alcohol spray bottle to kill it and I quite literally watched it go back into the ceiling. It knew and reacted accordingly. Intelligent little buggers, aren't they?

Well, we went to DEFCON 5. Changing all clothes when entering the house and straight into the dryer. Put everything we could through that dryer more times than I can count. Living completely out of bags and getting rid of any belongings I could spare to lose. Tossing our hole-filled, infested mattress and sleeping on the floor. SO MUCH DIATOMACEOUS EARTH. We applied DE several times but the screwy thing was, it only seemed to be slowing them down. I didn't see them move with the same agility as before, so I knew it was affecting them, but somehow they managed to be powering through it. Seriously?

We ended up buying a large container of a pesticide known as Crossfire. It uses a neo-nicotinoid, a pyrethin, and some sort of chemical that claimed to decrease the bugs' sensitivity to either. We sprayed and sprayed and sprayed the house. Well, it seemed to have done the trick. We were on high alert, but after a week of the pesticide being applied, the only bugs we could find were nearly immobile or completely dead.

I ended up moving out of my in-laws' and into my own place soon after, and we have seen absolutely no signs of bed bugs. I still keep a bottle of Cimexa handy in case I ever need to give this method a shot, and plan to purchase more Crossfire pre-emptively. Just in case. I will not live that way again if I can help it at all. It's been 6 months since we moved, and they would have had plenty of time to breed and multiply if we took stragglers. Absolutely nothing.

I still find myself checking my bed at night. And tossing and turning, afraid of the worst. It's always unfounded, but god the fear is hard to shake, even 6 months later.

I just wanted to share my story to remind the poor souls currently dealing with an infestation that this IS possible. You can do it. You just have to be incredibly diligent and you cannot give up. I swear, by the end of that experience I was applying mystical thinking to the little demons - they must be teleporting between rooms etc etc. It seemed completely impossible and I began to wonder if I'd ever be free. You can be. Never give up and use every tool at your disposal.

2. Karisadavis

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 13:34:28
    #

Login to Send PM

NeverSleepAgain -
    How often did you spray the DE and did you spray everything [walls, floors, furniture, clothes, etc]?
    I have been getting bites for the past 3 weeks and have yet to find one of the little buggers.
    I must be having a allergic reaction to the bites and they are huge welts. They hurt and itch to the point I feel like I am about to loose my mind

Thanks for any advice you can give

3. Karisadavis

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 13:36:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry I meant sprayed the Crossfire, not DE.

4. mp7ski

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 14:26:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Crossfire is a good product. We had an exterminator come and his half ass job using a aerosol just spread them throughout the house. I purchased crossfire and did my own spray of it and could tell how well it was working. I watch an adult crawl out of a Crack after spraying it and it was dead within minutes.

But, with it being a neo-nicotinoid product, you need to do a thorough job the first couple applications. Bed bugs have been found to get highly resistant to neo-nicotinoids very quickly. So don't do a half as job with it the first couple applications. Try and do it right the first time. Then, if there's still activity after spraying it a couple times over a couple weeks, it may be smart to swith to another pesticide in a different class such as Phantom(pyrole class I believe) to battle any resistance issues.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  5. mp7ski

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 14:32:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Karisadavis - 52 minutes ago  » 
    NeverSleepAgain -
    How often did you spray the DE and did you spray everything [walls, floors, furniture, clothes, etc]?
    I have been getting bites for the past 3 weeks and have yet to find one of the little buggers.
    I must be having a allergic reaction to the bites and they are huge welts. They hurt and itch to the point I feel like I am about to loose my mind

Find a bug or fecael first otherwise you could be throwing money out the window on something that's not the cause of your skin reactions. Inspecting for bed bugs is not easy, tedious work and could take hours. Consider calling in a professional who takes their time and inspects thoroughly.

Otherwise, treating for bed bugs chemically calls for at least two treatments 2 weeks apart. If you do an application yourself, follow the label apply use the proper equipment such as gloves, a respirator, goggles, pump sprayer, etc.

6. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 19:48:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I came back into the room with our alcohol spray bottle to kill it and I quite literally watched it go back into the ceiling. It knew and reacted accordingly. Intelligent little buggers, aren't they?

I know having bed bugs can play tricks with your mind, but this is just not true. Bed bugs don't possess intelligence.

7. NeverSleepAgain

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 22:07:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Karisadavis - 8 hours ago  » 
    NeverSleepAgain -

Like previously said, make sure to get a positive identification before you buy Crossfire.

That being said, we did one very thorough spray around the house - cracks, baseboards, perimeters of any kind, anything wooden (including my guitars), etc. One spray combined with our other weapons did the job. Haven't been seen in that house in 6 months, and we didn't take any here either.

But if manufacturer instruction says to use multiple sprays, by all means follow their advice. Whoever developed this stuff was definitely onto something.

bugged-cdn - 2 hours ago  » 

I came back into the room with our alcohol spray bottle to kill it and I quite literally watched it go back into the ceiling. It knew and reacted accordingly. Intelligent little buggers, aren't they?

I know having bed bugs can play tricks with your mind, but this is just not true. Bed bugs don't possess intelligence.

This is true. Man, can they play tricks with your head though. I was half-convinced the bugs were smarter than me by the end of that experience. Many nights I'd spend hours looking for them in ANY little crack or crevice I could think of only to come up empty-handed. Then, as soon as I relaxed and got semi-comfortable I'd end up seeing one crawling up to my bedspread or some such thing. So much sleep and sanity lost over such a tiny little insect.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,818 posts in 43,334 topics over 131 months by 18,996 of 19,572 members. Latest: April13Hincher, Bedbughell99, minicooper78