Success Story! There is always hope.

(6 posts)
  1. BastaBedBugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 6 2013 0:58:39
    #

Login to Send PM

We're now at our 55-day mark after the 2nd treatment, and nearly 70 days since the last BB-related event. I'd like to share the (long) success story!

(We're in Toronto, by the way.)

Our tale began in late February when I found a fed nymph while lounging on the sofa in the evening. The little sucker had literally finished sucking my pinkie and my shuffling around caused it to fall to my lap. The sighting was pretty lucky since it was so small! I let the super of the building know the next day, and treatment was scheduled in another 4 days, on Tuesday. It was with Magical Pest Control, who seem to be a rather big company in Toronto.

We had a K9 inspection that Monday, with possible intentions of denying treatment for the time-being if the inspection found nothing. However, with some advice from this forum and our super strongly urging us, we decided to go ahead with it. The K9 inspection turned up positive, by the way, though there was no visual inspection, and the places the dog/handler alerted were never confirmed to have anything afterwards. Maybe I should write a review of my slightly off-putting K9 experience with Mike from Purity...

There were no issues with treatment. My only complaint would be management's policy to not treat adjacent units (or even inspect), but there ended up being a "line of treatment" anyway (read below!). Luckily, we live a relatively uncluttered life in a 1-bedroom, and we could put everything in the middle of the rooms. We bagged up all our clothes, bought some large plastic storage bins for things we previously stored in cardboard boxes, took the day off for each treatment (2 in total, exactly 2 weeks apart), and spent the night at a hotel since I couldn't return until 24 hours later.

We found out from the super that the PCO hadn't found any signs of BB during his treatments, which was pretty reassuring (even though we don't know how "seriously" he looked). The super also informed us that the upstairs tenant had treatment about 2 months ago for a lone sighting, and the tenant across the hall from the upstairs tenant was getting treatment in mid-March (this is the apartment that was assumed to be Ground Zero by the super and the PCO, and I believe there was some difficulty in getting treatment started). To the best of our knowledge, the apartments attached to us otherwise were clear.

We got passives - one for the bed (mattress on box spring directly on the floor) and one for the larger couch in the living room where we are more often than the smaller sofa - and put them on about 4-5 days after the last treatment (to let any lingering chemicals stop repelling). The second treatment left a LOT of white powder - in clumps and mounds! We cleaned it up very, very lightly and avoided sweeping/vacuuming for a while.

The passives have been clean since we put them on, and it has been a HUGE relief to have them there. I'm prone to anxiety and overthinking - sounds familiar, I know - and my husband has been great support for me throughout all of this. Coupled with these forums, I've been able to keep myself together.

We initially planned to unpack around the beginning of April, after giving the passives 21 days to show us something, but then I decided to wait until early May since I knew the upstairs neighbour was moving out at the end of her lease - just for peace of mind! With 7 days clear on the passive, I've now begun unpacking lightly and will probably wait a few more days until unpacking the clothes and putting them back. I'll be doing a combination of washing/drying and closely inspecting the clothes; after getting advice on the forums, I've decided to be a little careful but not go overboard since it looks to have been a light infestation, if not just the one bug (can't be too sure, right?). To be honest, it all depends on my personal comfort level now, really.

I tried pretty hard to not let my lifestyle change too much throughout all of this, because I thought any crack in my resolve would turn into a flood. We only washed our bedding a couple of times extra, beyond the regular washing it always got. We used one bin for clothes since packing everything else up, and returned clothes to it after basic inspection. My thought process was always that if they were around somewhere, they would hardly hibernate in our bins and items for too long. They would come out and we would know. That thought process really helped me in not attempting to make everything airtight and "sterile"!

At this point, I'll probably go back to life as normal - thinking about BB here and there, being generally alert of where I'm sitting or putting my things down outside my home, etc - with the very welcome addition of the passives. They're so relieving to have around! It keeps me from obsessively checking everywhere rather fruitlessly; if they're there, we should find them on the passives before it's an out-of-control infestation.

The main thought I've been trying to instil in myself is that it wasn't the end of the world this time and it won't be if we get them again. I say this because we'll be living in a large building for years to come - the current building is about 90ish apartments (decades old) and our condo in a year will be over 200 suites. Having adjacent neighbours and common areas will definitely increase the chances of us getting BB again, but we really have no other reasons for moving to a detached house or a low-rise at this point in our lives.

We'll be vigilant and careful, but we won't let this rule our everyday lives! Beyond the measures we take now, if we get them again, we'll deal with them again. Serenity now, haha.

Everyone on the forums have been incredibly helpful - directly and indirectly! - and I know there's so many (including me) that would be lost without this place. Thanks for everything, everyone...and please, wish me luck that I don't end up back here soon!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 6 2013 1:06:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for sharing your success -- it means a lot to use to hear how you've done and to newbites who want to hear about others' success.

And of course, good luck going forward!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. LadyO

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 6 2013 13:13:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I am very happy for you and your husband. Good luck.

4. OnceBittenTwiceChi

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 6 2013 14:39:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm really heartened to read this story because me and my husband are in the middle of our treatment process. We've been treated once by a PCO with their second visit coming up this Saturday, and I can't wait. Like you I am prone to overthinking and anxiety! I'm going to put up passive monitors in the bedroom, where I've seen a couple nymphs and we've had our bites, to keep us alerted, and if we see they're clear we'll start unpacking. Living out of Ziplocs is not fun but I am trying to be calm about it. It will pass soon enough. I enjoy reading your story because it gives me hope.

I like your attitude about not obsessing about being "sterile" - I was freaking out at first when putting things into bags, if they were left open for too long while filling or if my shirt touched another one I was bagging, I'd throw it back in the wash. But I plan to re-heat everything before I put it back out and if I worry about the millions of ways I could "contaminate" things I will go insane. Finding that balance of thoroughness and obsessiveness is hard. Thank you for your story and for giving us going through this process a beacon of hope.

5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 6 2013 19:31:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the update!

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  6. paranoidintoronto

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Apr 18 2014 11:21:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I also used purity and noticed he did not do any visual confirmation after detection

thanks for sharing your experiences.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,669 posts in 43,300 topics over 130 months by 18,985 of 19,564 members. Latest: BBRuth, nonono, Cleothecat