Studying abroad and getting bit

(3 posts)
  1. aeloves

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Mar 13 2017 7:29:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm studying abroad in Spain and I am staying with a homestay. About every week or so I've been getting itchy bites/bumps on my skin that have swollen painfully. First was on my waist and shoulder, next were 2-3 on my ankle, two on my forearm, and now one on my shin. Each time one goes down and stops hurting I seem to get another. I'm starting to panic and have searched my mattress and room several times and found nothing but a few possible bloodstains on my sheets. I can't tell if those are from bites or from me scratching in my sleep. My host mom has sprayed with insecticides, cleaned the sheets and my clothes, and vacuumed the corners around the bed. I'm the only person in the house (which has 4 other people) getting bites. She has offered to have me switch to a new bed but I'm afraid they'll just follow me there.
    My room has a lot of nooks and crannies. My bed is a trundle and I've looked at the other mattress and found nothing. The shelves are full of books and old papers that belong to my host mom and I don't feel comfortable moving. The walls and ceiling are textured and cracked and looking at them I've found only 2 spots that may just be dirt. Going through everything will be a massive chore, and I'm afraid I'm just being paranoid. My only other option is hiring an exterminator, but that cost will fall on me and, being a college student, I don't know if I want to make that investment without major evidence.
    In the meantime, what are recommendations for avoiding getting bitten again? Should I move beds and see what happens? I have a silk/cotton blend sleep sack and a blow up pillow I intended for hostels that I can start using. I have also looked into buying glue traps or something but I need to look around. I'm only here for another 2 months and definitely don't want to bring any unwanted guests back home.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Mar 13 2017 7:35:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Hope it is not impacting your enjoyment of studying abroad too much.

You are correct tat you need to find:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

To confirm bed bugs.

If you cant find them visually through inspection there are efficacious monitoring options which are discussed in the FAQ and useful tools sections. For the most part glue based devices are not efficient in their design because of how bed bugs test the ground they walk upon.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. aeloves

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Mar 20 2017 19:19:16
    #

Login to Send PM

After yet another bite a live bedbug crawled onto my pillow when I was at the foot of my bed watching Netflix. I caught it, showed it to my host mom, and killed it. I then stripped the mattress, which was replaced two days ago, and did yet another search and found nothing. I doused the frame in insecticide. Is it possible that I had a single bedbug? I've averaged 1-3 bites a week and have no other signs like feces, skins, or blood.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,486 posts in 42,163 topics over 127 months by 18,504 of 18,994 members. Latest: amybooks, imbuggingout, Okiguess