Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Study on low-income apartment infestations

(6 posts)
  1. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 22:34:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Some interesting data in this study:

Bed Bugs: Prevalence in Low-Income Communities, Resident’s Reactions, and Implementation of a Low-Cost Inspection Protocol

"In this study, we selected low-income communities in four cities to investigate bed bug infestation patterns, impact of the bed bug infestations, and bed bug control methods used by residents. We used a combination of resident interview combined with community-wide inspection of apartments for bed bug activity to provide an accurate assessment of bed bug prevalence within low-income apartment housing communities. We also analyzed the cost and effectiveness of an economical community-wide bed bug inspection protocol. Our results will help gain an accurate picture of the current prevalence of bed bugs and provide valuable information for future bed bug management strategies."

https://academic.oup.com/jme/article/53/3/639/2222435/Bed-Bugs-Prevalence-in-Low-Income-Communities

----------

"Climbup interceptors detected 89 ± 1% and brief visual inspections detected 72 ± 3% of the infestations."

----------

"Forty-nine percent of the infestations detected by the protocol were in apartments whose residents were unaware of the bed bug activity."

Account closed
  2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 9:33:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Might be worth looking at that report in the context of this:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=3&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=Changlu.INNM.&OS=IN/Changlu&RS=IN/Changlu

Although the patent was never granted (prior art being Lake 1866) it is non the less something that should be disclosed by the author.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 12:27:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah, that makes sense now, when I was reading over the study I kept wondering if there was a reason there was so much focus on the interceptors. It's still good data and I agree, it should have been disclosed as a product field study (or whatever).

4. Ombugsman

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 15:52:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Based on answers obtained from 245 residents, the frequency of products used was: pyrethroids 72%, household products 22%, essential oils 12%, inorganic materials 7%, and non-pyrethroid synthetic spray 1%. The top three ( n  = 262) most frequently purchased brands were: Hotshot 27%(Spectrum Group, St. Louis, MO), J T Eaton 13% (J T Eaton Co., Twinsburg, OH), and Raid 11% (S C Johnson & Son Inc., Racine, WI). In addition to insecticides, many residents also used household products to control bed bugs.

Here's a quote from a peer-reviewed study:

In our laboratory studies, two commonly used bed bug sprays, 0.03% lambda-cyhalothrin (Hot Shot Bed Bug and Flea Killer; Spectrum Group, St. Louis, MO, USA) and 0.4% phenothrin + 1.6% MGK-264 (Pronto Plus Kill Bedbugs and Dust Mites; Insight Pharmaceuticals Corp., Langhorne, PA, USA) caused 0% mortality when bed bugs from a field strain were sprayed directly (Appendix 1).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4592615/

Poorer people typically don't have the financial means and education to eradicate bed bugs through traditional means. Their bedbug problems continues to worsen and they end up spreading the bugs when they go to libraries, schools, movies, etc. The best way in the United States to slow the bed bug spread is for those folks to go to the store, buy CimeXa, and spread it through their apartment. Even if they put it in places they shouldn't, it's still less of a health risk than those pyrethroid products they're applying. Rockwell's a small company so marketing and distribution channels are more limited than a company like Bayer (Tempo, Temprid, etc). Something has to change to get CimeXa on the shelves of local stores and remove those other largely worthless products.

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 16:24:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey there Ombugs, were you a member of this forum a few years back? Somehow you keep missing this one...

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  6. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 19:42:25
    #

Login to Send PM

The best way in the United States to slow the bed bug spread is for those folks to go to the store, buy CimeXa, and spread it through their apartment. Even if they put it in places they shouldn't, it's still less of a health risk than those pyrethroid products they're applying. Rockwell's a small company so marketing and distribution channels are more limited than a company like Bayer (Tempo, Temprid, etc). Something has to change to get CimeXa on the shelves of local stores and remove those other largely worthless products.

Agreed.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,567 posts in 43,045 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234