Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Study - Comparative Efficacy of Selected Dust Insecticides

(8 posts)
  1. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Feb 2 2017 1:34:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Putting this in the "Science" section. It's a good read.

This study compares the effectiveness of dust insecticides over 1 to 10 days. As well as studied the effectiveness of transfer of Cimexa from exposed bed bugs to unexposed specimen.

Cimexa results: "Only CimeXa (silica gel) dust caused 100% mortality from all three exposure methods. " "Silica gel dust-exposed bed bugs transferred the dust horizontally to unexposed bed bugs resulting in 100% mortality at 4:6 donor: recipient ratio and 88.0 ± 5.0% mortality at 1:5 donor: recipient ratio."

Diatomaceous Earth results: "The DE performed poorly in the brief exposure bioassay.... However, in forced and choice exposure experiments, DE caused 100 and 94.0% mortality, respectively. This suggests that DE still can be effective under field conditions if applied thoroughly throughout in locations where bed bugs may experience continuous or repeated exposures over time."

Here is the study. You can find it on SciHub for free.
    https://academic.oup.com/jee/article-abstract/109/4/1819/2202018/Comparative-Efficacy-of-Selected-Dust-Insecticides?redirectedFrom=fulltext

And here are the results graphs:
    Brief exposure: http://imgur.com/21ClSHF
    Forced & Choice exposure: http://imgur.com/M81zmkU
    Transfer: http://imgur.com/rJvF28q

Account closed
  2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Feb 2 2017 10:20:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The problem with this sort of study is that anyone who works with enough DE will tell you there is a great deal of source to source variation. This is due in part to the fact that its derived from material which was originally organic and partly due to differences in the location where it is mined from.

Ultimately the solution only comes when suppliers use product that is tested either on a batch to batch or source to source basis. This is feasible for a pest control company to do but it is not practical for an individual. Pre 2014 I used to test 20 different products 2 or 3 times a year with field strains of bed bugs in both liquid and residual action. In one noted case we were able to show a population growth with one product that was higher than the control. Yes, the product used increased the issue even when sprayed directly at a bed bug (something I did not think was possible). Although it was never going to be a product that we used we do deal with about 8% of our customers having been treated before, as a result we needed to know the effect of all the products on the market.

Equally there is the issue that silicon dioxide is very much like carbon. In the same way that carbon can exist and has different values as coal, diamond and graphine not all isomers of silicon dioxide are effective with bed bugs and not all effective forms work by the same mode of action. The most obvious clue to this being the fact that it takes months to desiccate a bed bug in control, a week or two in DE and days if exposed to some isoforms of silicon dioxide.

I suppose you could equate it to the fact that not all apples taste the same or are the same colour.

The big danger is that people may become confused with the product often found in clothes and handbags to remove moisture which may initial seem to be a solution but it is dangerous to apply. It is sometimes referred to as silica gel.

However, having had years to ruminate the concept of using dusts the only long term and viable solution I came up with was adding it to harbourages in advance of bed bugs and then ran into the big block, namely "why use something when it is not actually adding functionality". While it may not seem a significant issue in a domestic setting when you start looking at solutions for 1,000 room hotels or 2,500 birth ships the cost of applying and reapplying after cleaning is staggering. The product costs are fractions of a percentage of what the labour and management costs are and thus the solution becomes operationally unfeasible.

While I fully appreciate you may not be thinking on this scale yourself and for your immediate needs but for solutions to be viable and effective they have to be scale-able any applicable in a range of accommodation settings.

Its one of the deceptive things about bed bugs, things don't always work out when you apply what should be logical.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. FayeState

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Feb 2 2017 13:13:06
    #

Login to Send PM

David,
    So what should consumers do when choosing a product?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Feb 2 2017 13:49:58
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 31 minutes ago  » 
    David,
    So what should consumers do when choosing a product?

They should be looking out for sources that are tested and most likely lobbying consumer groups to get better consumer advocacy in this area.

I know the EPA is looking at product testing for professional grade products but it is ultimately consumers market where the greater need is. All you need do is look at the last 5 - 7 years worth of flash in the pan bed bug solutions to know there is a lot of wasted time and money out there.

David

5. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Feb 2 2017 13:50:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Great real world perspective, David!

6. Livingagain

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Feb 9 2017 14:06:31
    #

Login to Send PM

So it's only Tby protocol, that's it...

I've seen lots of people say they got results with Cimexa, and the studies reported very favorable results.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Feb 9 2017 14:35:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi barelyliving,

The 27+ pages cover a little more than a short summary as its designed to:

• Help people understand bed bugs
    • Understand what steps they can take to get immediate knock-down
    • Help them to understand how to avoid them in future
    • Relocate existing bed bugs into removable harbourages as part of the control process and on-going protection

While in active cases I may use 2 - 3 grams of a desiccant the point of what we do is to immediately kill things while we are on site to negate the need for residual action. The protocol adapts that approach to the tools people have to hand and the reality that vacuum cleaning and collecting samples onto tape (like you might do with lint on clothes) is more effective that sub optimal steaming.

Given that people often over apply dusts it is generally not recommended in light cases and would certainly not be recommended without confirming signs of an on-going and active infestation. There is also the extra work associated with having to remove and re-apply dusts which needs to be factored into peoples stress.

Finally one obscure issue I think is actually very important is the psychological aspect. If people rely upon a powder they tend to want to keep that application and re-application habit as a comfort blanket. In some cases that sets up unhealthy and invasive process patterns and people get stuck in a bed bug treatment rut, where they might not be as willing to think about how the problem is coming about because they are chasing the next magic bullet.

If you read the PDF and have any questions start a thread and I will edit the document to make things clearer.

David

8. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 10 2017 1:57:08
    #

Login to Send PM

barelyliving - 11 hours ago  » 
    So it's only Tby protocol, that's it...
    I've seen lots of people say they got results with Cimexa, and the studies reported very favorable results.

Bingo

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,567 posts in 43,045 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234