Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Stretch Wrap and moving

(4 posts)
  1. Obother

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2008 14:42:30
    #

Login to Send PM

We are two weeks away from moving, and we have had no success locating a company that will Vikane a truckload of belongings. Apparently, they all have to special order the Vikane, and it is not commonly done in this area. So, now we are faced with the burden of figuring out what stays and goes.

Has anyone tried stretch wrapping their books? I was thinking since Vikane is unavailable, perhaps I would order stretch wrap (pallet wrap) and in lieu of throwing our books away, we could wrap them, bag them and store them for 18 months. My concern is not that we won't have access to the books, but rather that bugs (if there are any left) would not be able to escape and reinfest. I also am trying to decide if we should rent a storage unit, purchase an outdoor shed, or just risk putting things like books in our new garage. Any thoughts about one place being better than another? Also, any suggestions for a piano when Vikane is unavailable?

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2008 15:52:49
    #

Login to Send PM

We used stretch wrap to mummify some furniture to haul to the dump. It is too fragile of a plastic IMHO for long term storage.

Go to Home Depot and find the Husky Contractor bags. They are 3 mils thick which quite thick.

What we did is get small enough boxes to fit in there, twist tight, fold over the twist, and duct tape it tight and make sure no air can escape.

VERY IMPORTANT is to handle carefully when moving that you lift the weight by grabbing the box itself. You don't want to tear your "sarcophagus". Then let the little fuggers starve.

Jim

3. vampireweekend

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2008 16:39:52
    #

Login to Send PM

i'd get some rubbermaid bins to pack the books away with and then tape them up within an inch of their figurative lives.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2008 23:55:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Some have used shrink wrap over pallets or over lidded tubs, and shrunk it to seal (with a hairdryer maybe? Not sure.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.