Stress Busters

(174 posts)
  1. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 18 2014 21:06:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you stress? My jaw reminds me all the times. Please see if any of these stress solutions would help you. Here is the link:

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/healthy-living/13-2-minute-stress-solutions-171300147.html

Another method is prayer.

If you have other methods, please share them with us.

JustChecking, not a therapist / bug pro
    Please click my user name on the left for these threads:
    (OR go through my thread starter list OR use the search engine)
    --->stress busters --->energy boosters
    --->songs of hope and faith --->help U sleep tonight
  2. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jan 19 2014 22:21:30
    #

Login to Send PM

A good method is deep breathing

Also each time you catch a negative thought in your head try to contradict it

If someone would write a book on how to deal with BB fear or post BB fear and the consequences they would make a fortune

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  3. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 20 2014 2:24:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Good ones, Endless! I will try to remember doing them.

Yeah, self-help books are popular.

Thanks!

4. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 20 2014 8:25:37
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking, this post was a great idea and, hopefully, will help folks.

When I have been at my worst, counting my deep breaths (deep breath in -1, deep breath out-2, and so on) really helped to calm my pulse down.

Finding a distraction has also helped me. My happy place is Disney World, as silly as that may sound. But, I have a lot of great memories (my son has autism and spoke his very first full consecutive sentences at the age of 6 after he had rode Space Mountain). So, when my anxiety starts up for whatever reason, I like to get on YouTube and watch Disney videos, or listen to my CD of ride music. It takes my mind to a different place, so that I can move on from that anxiety filled mind frame.

Exercise is also good. When the weather is nice, a long walk is refreshing. But, it's cold and snowy where I live, so I get on the treadmill or go to the mall and walk around.

And, as much of a help this site is, if reading all the posts is causing stress or anxiety, step away for a while. Ask whatever question you have, then leave it. Give it some time for others to respond and then come back and look at your post only. Don't start reading all the other posts. It's too easy to start reading and then get stressed out all over again.

It's so easy to let the stress and anxiety take over. The earlier/sooner a person learns coping skills, all the better for their health, both physically and mentally.

And prayer is always good

5. RaccoonEyes

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 20 2014 13:14:11
    #

Login to Send PM

What helped me was doing checks of everything before sitting down. I'd come home, prep my shower stuff, vacuum, check my mattress. Then I'd watch a movie, do stretches, have a bubble bath, or do crosswords before bed. c:

Or baking. I baked cookies and stuff. Hobbies really help.
    Btw here's something my boss' mum introduced us to. Best/worst thing ever... best because it's so easy... worst because I figured out how to make it from scratch.... -fatfatfat- This is a gluten free recipe but there are others that are normal... I just cheat a bit and use some of our gluten free flour from work.. hahaha Mug cake!

6. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 20 2014 19:40:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Butterfly, that’s not silly at all, especially it has to do with your son’s milestone. Whatever memorable works. You’re right about movies and music.

I don’t have a regular exercising routine, but I will try to learn some basic Bollywood dancing moves. Look kind of fun on YouTube.

Yeah, I already have cut back on reading the posts.

R Eyes, you have a nice routine going. Boy, that Chocolate Mug Cake looks so delicious. I could almost taste it. It’s easy and quick to make. Baking is such an excellent hobby. Get to experiment, see the result and enjoy the treats. Sadly, I am not a baker. Buying all the ingredients which I may not be able to use them again is one of the reasons I don’t bake.

Thank you both for sharing some neat ideas!

7. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 20 2014 19:52:47
    #

Login to Send PM

And keep reminding yourself that you can't be beaten by such a simple and small brained life form!

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  8. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 21 2014 18:59:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, ITortureBugs4Revenge!

9. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 22 2014 0:21:32
    #

Login to Send PM

1. If you prefer the deep breathing technique, here's the alternate nostril pressing method:

[+] Embed the videoGet the Flash Video

2. See below if you prefer the collar bone and hand pressure point methods:

10. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jan 23 2014 2:27:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Enjoy the views and soothing music below:

11. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jan 23 2014 8:33:45
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking,

Thank you for posting the soothing music video!! I normally have either Bach, Beethoven, or Mozart playing softly in the background while my kids are homeschooling, but this morning I'll be playing this video. It's great, and the music is perfect for calming.

Thanks again!!

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 24 2014 12:35:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry no music to these ones but one of the ways that I deal with the stress of dealing with people with bedbugs is to get out and see different things. As such my photography is part of my therapy regime and I hope some of you get some peace from these links:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bedbugsuk/sets/72157637847366995/ - fishes and sea creatures

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bedbugsuk/sets/72157634971710462/ - butterflies

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bedbugsuk/sets/72157634999481166/ - UK ancient monuments

There are also sets from the Grand Canyon and NY/Chicago street life. At some stage I will try and dig out some of my bee pictures and macro passion fruit flowers.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  13. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 24 2014 13:02:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the cool ideas, recipes, music, photos, and videos!! They bring some normalcy to my anxiety-ridden and depressing life. You are all wonderful!!

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 24 2014 13:48:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Daylight - 45 minutes ago  » 
    You are all wonderful!!

Don't tell too many people we have reputations to maintain.

David

15. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 24 2014 14:09:59
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

Beautiful pictures!! And I got a nice little chuckle at the bed bug holding the newspaper at the top of the page.

16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 24 2014 14:30:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Butterfly#2,

Yes at the start of 2013 we switched from a very realistic and macro image format for all our education to a less threatening cartoon affect. It was mainly driven by someone who had a suspected BB issue but who was also phobic of all insects to the point they could not look at one.

Her view of the world was effectively at complete odds to mine and yet we needed to work out a way to communicate that was both scientifically correct and non threatening to her. The project took me about 20 days to complete and meant I had to learn a whole new level in web programing and found an artist who has an amazing ability to understand my gesticulations and produce exactly what I want the first time (so much so I have been secretly working on a pests don't have to be scary project with her to cover all sorts of pest issues).

Long story short when you look at the details you will see a few levels of humor in there and yet its pretty much technically accurate down to the "tail drop" on the defecation action although a bit of poetic license with the copy of BB news.

If you search you will find my mythical creation Cimex ridiculous or the Ostrich bug as it is commonly know. There are found in large numbers within certain industries and can adapt to just about any environment.

Oddly enough we found the biggest change that the new website brought was less stressed customers because they could see the value of reading and understanding without being told "the sky will fall in" like some demented six legged chicken lick'in (see now look what you have made me do, I need a cartoon of that).

Remember smiling is good exercise for the face, it works more muscles than frowning.

David

17. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 24 2014 15:00:49
    #

Login to Send PM

You're welcome, Butterfly1972 and Daylight. It took me some time to find a piece of soothing music on YouTube that sounds good and relaxing. I am glad you like it.

David, thank you for a variety of beautiful pics! They sure have a calming effect. Last time, why you posted them on another thread, my computer couldn't download all the pictures within certain time frame. This time I could see the cute fishes. I have heard that starring a tank of fishes could relieve stress. Gaze at a particular fish swimming around and around. How f r e e and light!!

So, that's why the hi-quality cartoons of bed bugs. How thoughtful, David!

18. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 24 2014 15:03:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Last time, why you posted them on another thread, my computer couldn't download all the pictures within certain time frame.

I meant "when".

19. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 24 2014 19:35:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Oddly enough we found the biggest change that the new website brought was less stressed customers because they could see the value of reading and understanding without being told "the sky will fall in" like some demented six legged chicken lick'in (see now look what you have made me do, I need a cartoon of that).

Hi, David,

Happy to provide you with the inspiration for a "demented six legged chicken lick'in" cartoon....lol. Looking forward to seeing it....I think.

Remember smiling is good exercise for the face, it works more muscles than frowning.

100% agreed!! My favorite sayings are; "Smile! It increases your face value." and "Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion." 100 points if you can tell me what movie they are from.

And, we have got to do some serious brainstorming of what to change the #2 to following Butterfly. Somehow seeing #2 reminds me of.....well, something that involves a newspaper and a particular bed bug. Surly, we can think of something else......lol.

Butterfly #(waiting for a new part to my name)

20. RaccoonEyes

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 25 2014 21:26:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I sing this while doing laundry... when no one is around anyway.

21. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 29 2014 17:56:50
    #

Login to Send PM

22. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Feb 1 2014 21:18:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Watch these cuties.

http://youtu.be/U-pRwkzHJJk

23. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Feb 2 2014 18:51:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Beautiful Rainbows From Around The World. "Look, a rainbow..."

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/featured/beautiful-rainbows-around-world/10492?image=0

24. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 6 2014 15:17:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Check out this online fish aquarium.

25. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 11 2014 13:11:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I defy anyone to be stressed after 2 hours of the music of my people.

Although you may immediately think of me as British I am actually of Manx decent, its a small island in the middle of the Irish sea, home to the Vikings and Celts of many regions, its bleak beauty gives a rare chance to stand on a mountain and see 7 countries as your survey the landscape.

David

26. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 11 2014 15:23:49
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking,

Love the salt water fish aquarium. I had it playing through YouTube on our TV this morning and my kids loved it. They asked for it to be on every morning during school. And thanks again for starting this thread. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it, seeing all the videos and listening to the music.

David,

Awesome Celtic music!! Apparently, even my golden likes the music. She is now laying with her head on my laptop as I have the music playing. Good music and a wonderful dog to pet.....relaxation at it's finest.

27. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 11 2014 18:00:53
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I'll go ahead and ask for forgiveness for the following link and it's...shall we say...complete gross factor.... I was in need of a good laugh one day and a friend directed me to the following link. Needless to say, I got that much needed laugh....and then some And let me say, I feel so bad for what these poor folks went through after eating the gummy bears, but I'm ever so grateful that they shared their reviews on Amazon (is that just completely wrong of me?!). Anyway, hope it can bring a smile to someone's face today.....and a little relief to any stress they may be feeling.

http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummy-Candy-Sugarless-5-Pound/product-reviews/B000EVQWKC/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

28. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 11 2014 18:33:06
    #

Login to Send PM

David, I enjoy the Celtic music very much. Intoxicating! Thanks! I heard at least 1 of them before. It's true they say music is a universal language. It's good to our souls, etc. I will have to look into the descriptions later.

Butterfly, wow, that's so...hilarious!!! Don't worry, one of my brothers used to say stuffs like that. ;)The music and the gummy bear joke are much needed as I stayed up the whole night cleaning again. I laughed and laughed and laughed. I laughed again after finding out it's from a female writer in the middle of the joke.

I don't want to put you in the hot seat, Butterfly. You don't have to answer, but I wonder why your friend would know about this joke?

29. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 11 2014 18:35:48
    #

Login to Send PM

S O R R Y !!! This is not a joke. You see what lack of ordinary sleep can do to a person.

30. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 11 2014 18:43:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Actually, I had a lot of Cola gummies a short while ago. You see, sweets is not my favorite thing. I got this crave and couldn't stop eating them. Maybe it's a coincidence. I had more skin reactions and more frequently after the Cola gummies consumption. I am so thankful that I don't have other reactions.

I feel terribly for all those who got affected by eating Haribo Gummy Candies.

31. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 11 2014 18:51:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't want to put you in the hot seat, Butterfly. You don't have to answer, but I wonder why your friend would know about this joke?

Hi JustChecking,

First, let me say that I'm so sorry you were up cleaning all night. And I wish you a good night's rest tonight!!

My friend has diabetes and was on Amazon looking at sugar free gummies when he came across these reviews. There's more than just the first review. Apparently, many, many, many people have had the same, um, reaction to these gummies. So, when you're ready to laugh more (ok, I feel really bad at laughing at these poor folks expense) read further down the page. I laughed until I had tears running down my face (again, so sorry at laughing at others expense...just can't say that enough). BTW, my friend didn't buy the gummies (although, knowing him, I bet at some point, one or more folks in his direct line of fire may experience these gummies.....but, it better NOT be me....because I will hunt him down...and it won't be pretty.....lol).

32. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 11 2014 18:56:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Butterfly, you are very welcome! I am glad you and your kids find something enjoyable and helpful from this thread.

We need some escapes from this pest madness, right?!

33. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 11 2014 19:00:00
    #

Login to Send PM

This thread is very calming. Thank you!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  34. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 11 2014 19:05:31
    #

Login to Send PM

That's why. I see. I know what you're saying. No one wants to be in that situation. Regardless, it's very important to have enough supply of t_il_t paper at home. lol

P.S. I will continue checking the reviews.

35. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 11 2014 19:06:09
    #

Login to Send PM

You're welcome, NoBugs!

36. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 11 2014 19:26:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Great thread...relaxing music and laughs.

Celtic music: I'm a big fan of Connie Dover.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  37. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 12 2014 17:50:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Butterfly! I had a bit of tears in my eyes while reading the reviews.

Although you may immediately think of me as British I am actually of Manx decent, its a small island in the middle of the Irish sea, home to the Vikings and Celts of many regions, its bleak beauty gives a rare chance to stand on a mountain and see 7 countries as your survey the landscape.

David, that sounds mysterious. Are you talking about Snaefell Mountain? I counted 5 places: England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, and Isle of Man. Where are the other 2?

I can't help but see X-Men (Man) in Manx.

TAOT, I listened to several of Connie Dover's songs. They are good! Thanks!

38. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 12 2014 18:03:38
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking - 5 minutes ago  » 

Funny! Very nice thread JustChecking! (May I call you "JC"?)

bed-bugscouk - 1 day ago  » 
    . . . I am actually of Manx decent, its a small island in the middle of the Irish sea, home to the Vikings . . . .

Ok, I'm REALLY curious here . . . does anyone other than me think this goes a looooong way in explaining some things?!

P.S., I enjoyed the music also David, I didn't have time to listen to all of it, but so far the first song is my favorite.

39. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 12 2014 18:38:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Abs!

Who knows, David is unique as he sometimes says.

40. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 12 2014 18:47:04
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL..... That's great, JustChecking!! I instantly got the image of David standing in a hotel mirror, flexing his muscles, while wearing his flashlight on his head (or I'm assuming that's a flashlight in the his how to check a hotel room video).

41. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 12 2014 19:01:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, with extra sight, smell and who knows what capabilities.

(or I'm assuming that's a flashlight in the his how to check a hotel room video)

I think you're right, Butterfly.

42. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 13 2014 20:09:12
    #

Login to Send PM

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it."

~Lou Holtz

43. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 13 2014 20:13:49
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking - 4 minutes ago  » 
    ~Lou Holtz

Great quote, Just Checking.

44. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 13 2014 20:44:02
    #

Login to Send PM

~Lou Holtz

Love this quote!! It's going on my fridge tomorrow morning. Thank you for sharing, JustChecking!

45. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 13 2014 20:46:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, TAOT!

I was so disgusted with myself for my pest problem some time ago. Although I heard of a particular song before, I hadn't had for a very long time and I had no idea what the song title is. For several days, I had this song running through my head over and over again, but I didn't know which song it was. Anyhow, after some more days, I found it on the Internet. Could it be a higher being was telling me I am and will be loved no matter what? I mean I have been trying the best I can within my resources. You may tease me about a higher being sending me a message, but I really do believe most of the lyrics to the song below is what the higher being wanted me to know. So, here's a song for you from the higher being:

46. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 13 2014 21:07:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing the song, Just Checking.

47. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 14 2014 3:08:55
    #

Login to Send PM

You ladies are welcome, Butterfly (somehow your post wasn't on when I was on this thread) and TAOT. I had a fridge magnet with that 10% & 90% quote but I can't have any more fridge magnets among other things due to the pest issue.

48. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 14 2014 8:32:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone for helping us cope. It's such an insecure feeling when you suspect your home is under infiltration by the evil insects called bedbugs. The relaxing and inspiring music, quotations, and kindness expressed and shared are much appreciated!

I appreciate the songs and kind words from Just Checking, the Celtic music from David, the fun balance from Butterfly, TAOT, Abs, and Nobugs.

Great thread you started, Just Checking!

49. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 14 2014 8:45:04
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking,

I wanted to share with you that I believe in a higher power as well. I believe that messages are sent to us all the time....we just have to be open to receiving them.

Last night, after I posted about liking the quote you shared, I got on Facebook. As I was scrolling down, the exact same quote was on my news feed!! Honestly, maybe 10 minutes after reading it on here, there it was again on my FB (I had never seen that quote before, and to see it twice in a matter of minutes.....some may call it simply a coincidence but, well, like I said, I believe in a higher power).

I had been struggling all day yesterday with how I was going to be handling certain things, and that quote really struck home for me. Again, thank you so much for sharing

50. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 14 2014 17:35:55
    #

Login to Send PM

You're welcome, Daylight & Butterfly. Thanks for sharing, Butterfly! You'll do fine.

We really do need a breather to carry on with our battles. I have to take this opportunity to thank Butterfly and other posters who inspired me to start this thread: Butterfly's thread, http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/my-bed-bug-fear-amp-anxiety-story, and other posters' threads that contain very descriptive, emotional triggering words. Please note I am not suggesting the emotional impacted posts are bad because they were healthy for the posters to vent and to work out their feelings. Only after that phrase can we move on to a calmer stage and become more proactive. I also know that this can be a roller coaster ride with a "X" number of loops. Therefore, instead of having people who are sensitive to other people's written descriptions to magnify their own problems and be stressful about it, why not have a variety of outlet options for release.

51. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 14 2014 18:59:02
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking - 22 hours ago  » 
    ~Lou Holtz

Yes, great quote!

Butterfly1972 - 10 hours ago  » 
    I wanted to share with you that I believe in a higher power as well. I believe that messages are sent to us all the time....we just have to be open to receiving them.

Count me as a member of His club also! . . . And, yes, I also believe we are sent messages!

52. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 14 2014 19:12:00
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking - 1 hour ago  » 
    Therefore, instead of having people who are sensitive to other people's written descriptions to magnify their own problems and be stressful about it, why not have a variety of outlet options for release.

I have to say I agree with this!! I try to help as much as I can, but sometimes when I read a particularly stressed or anxiety filled post . . . or if there are multiple such posts in a short period of time . . . or maybe a post that I particarly empathize with . . . I sort of start feeling the stress of the posters! I just can't stand the emotional toll these freak'n BUGS put people through!

53. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Feb 15 2014 3:27:21
    #

Login to Send PM

JC wrote,

~Lou Holtz

So true, in bed bugs and beyond...

I agree this is a fantastic thread for all the reasons mentioned, and I think it will be a keeper. Thanks to everyone who's participating!

54. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Feb 15 2014 9:58:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if this falls into the "stress busters" category, but thought I would mention it anyway.

I read Hoda Kobe's book "Ten Years Later: Six People Who Faced Adversity and Transformed Their Lives" last summer. To this day, I still ask myself, "Will this matter in 10 years?" when I'm going through things that cause me stress, worry, etc. It helps to put things into perspective. Worth the read.

55. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Feb 16 2014 3:23:03
    #

Login to Send PM

AbsolutelyFreaking - 1 day ago  » 

Therefore, instead of having people who are sensitive to other people's written descriptions to magnify their own problems and be stressful about it, why not have a variety of outlet options for release.

I have to say I agree with this!! I try to help as much as I can, but sometimes when I read a particularly stressed or anxiety filled post . . . or if there are multiple such posts in a short period of time . . . or maybe a post that I particarly empathize with . . . I sort of start feeling the stress of the posters! I just can't stand the emotional toll these freak'n BUGS put people through!

I am hoping that I used this quote within a quote function correctly. Exactly, Abs! Just like putting on your oxygen mask first before helping others in case of emergency during a flight.

NoBugs wrote,

I agree this is a fantastic thread for all the reasons mentioned, and I think it will be a keeper. Thanks to everyone who's participating!

Butterfly wrote,

I don't know if this falls into the "stress busters" category, but thought I would mention it anyway.

I read Hoda Kobe's book "Ten Years Later: Six People Who Faced Adversity and Transformed Their Lives" last summer. To this day, I still ask myself, "Will this matter in 10 years?" when I'm going through things that cause me stress, worry, etc. It helps to put things into perspective. Worth the read.

Thanks for the confidence vote, NoBugs!

Butterfly, I watched a mini interview on the author who talked about this book. This book can also bring people hope. I will add it to my reading list. Thanks!

Since anything that has helped you de-stress may work for other people, too, I encourage anyone shares his/her methods with us.

56. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Feb 23 2014 17:02:33
    #

Login to Send PM

“When you’re feeling your worst, that’s when you get to know yourself the best.”

~Leslie Grossman

57. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 24 2014 11:16:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Sometimes the best thing you can do is:
    Don't Think
    Don't Wonder
    Don't Imagine
    Don't Obsess
    Just breathe and have faith that everything will work out for the best.

I have no idea who wrote this but I came across it some time ago, and now it hangs on my fridge....my fridge is covered with a few inspirational quotes

58. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 24 2014 12:17:23
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking - 1 week ago  » 
    . . . Since anything that has helped you de-stress may work for other people, too, I encourage anyone shares his/her methods with us.

Does "a" glass of wine and bubble bath count?

That used to be my standard every Friday night de-stress from the work week "de-stressor" (and sometimes I would throw in pizza delivery).

Now I find when I take a long walk and block out the world and listen to my iTunes, it's almost like meditating and it does a world of wonder for de-stressing.

Also, when I'm stressed or feeling depressed and blue, I catch myself singing or humming Amazing Grace . . . I find it very soothing . . . and it comforts me.

59. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 24 2014 12:48:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I have to say that this weekend was kind of stressful, but since it was National Margarita Day on Saturday, my girlfriends and I got together and "celebrated". We watched "Last Vegas" because Vegas and margaritas tend to go hand-n-hand.....and well, you just can't go wrong with Michael Douglas, Morgan Freeman, Kevin Kline, and Robert De Niro. Great movie....in fact, we all laughed so much, we watched it twice......although it could have been the tequila that made it seem so funny....

Also, when I'm stressed or feeling depressed and blue, I catch myself singing or humming Amazing Grace . . . I find it very soothing . . . and it comforts me.

Me, too, Abs....

60. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 24 2014 12:52:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, Abs, wine and bubble baths do count. You just reminded me that I'm due for both!

I like hot chocolate or hot tea with honey also.

I sing Amazing Grace and other hymns along with the whole soundtrack from The Sound of Music.

I want to try the long walk and music. Sounds like a winner.

Calling friends works too if I don't go on about my issue too much. So I'm starting to think that solitary pursuits/stress busters are the best , which the above mentioned seem to be.

Thanks for sharing!

61. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 24 2014 17:29:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm a HUGE MercyMe fan, and can't believe I haven't thought of posting this song before I listen to MercyMe while on the treadmill.....great music. Enjoy!! "I just might bend, but I won't break".....awesome!!

62. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 24 2014 18:05:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!!

I like watching Morgan Freeman's movies, too.

I haven't heard of MercyMe's songs before. Is that the song title, Move? That's a cool one. Haven't heard as many songs since the weekly Top 40 songs in the 80s and 90s.

63. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 24 2014 18:15:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep, "Move" is the song title. They are a christian music band. Really good music.

I had to laugh at the reference to the Top 40..... When I was a teenager back in the 80's, my friends and I would take turns making the weekly Top 40 list so that we could "discuss" the results on the school bus on Monday morning.....we were such geeks....but, totally thought we were so cool....lol. Think....Sixteen Candles Great memories!!

64. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 24 2014 18:21:06
    #

Login to Send PM

lol...Butterfly, do you mean copying down the Top 40 list?

65. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 24 2014 18:35:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Lol...JustChecking, you didn't know you were in the midst of a famous 80's singer, did you?! I sure gave Tiffany & Debbie Gibson a run for their money....

Yep, making = copying down...

66. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 7:11:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for clarifying, Butterfly!

Really?!? I didn't know you could sing like Tiffany & Debbie Gibson or even better. Good for you. So talented.

I am not good at remembering the artists' names and song titles. I had to look up and listen to Tiffany & Debbie Gibson. And yep, I listened to at least a couple of their songs before.

At the beginning, I listened to Top 20. Then for some reasons, I listened to Top 40. And for some reasons, I stopped listening to Top 40. It's partially because my favorite DJ, Casey Kasem, was no longer hosting the Top 40.

67. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 8:58:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Really?!? I didn't know you could sing like Tiffany & Debbie Gibson or even better. Good for you. So talented.

LOL.....I was totally kidding!! I couldn't hold a tune in a bucket if my life depended on it Have you ever seen the movie "My Best Friends Wedding"? In it Cameron Diaz sings karaoke....horribly. That's my singing ability.....but, it doesn't stop me from having a blast singing karaoke.....just gotta have fun in life.

No one could compare to Casey Kasem doing the Top 40....he totally rocked!! Just wasn't the same without him.

68. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 16:01:57
    #

Login to Send PM

That movie's so long ago. I might have watched it and don't remember the details but saw the clip after you mentioned it. I think I sing like that in English. When I used to sing in another language, I didn't scare myself as much.

69. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 16:06:21
    #

Login to Send PM

but, it doesn't stop me from having a blast singing karaoke.....just gotta have fun in life.

I agree. My family had a mini karaoke setup a long time ago. It sure felt good to sing.

70. ClutterFree

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 16:16:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Butterfly, awesome song! The few MercyMe songs I know and/or have I like, but I don't know them well. I've been considering making a Fight the BB-Power playlist. Or, really, I've been saying to myself that I need a playlist for when I'm cleaning or feeling down but hadn't gotten around to a title, lol. My "Fight to Win" playlist was started to kick my butt into gear when writing, but I've found it helpful for other "fight to win" situations. Doesn't quite work for the bb's, though. Clearly I need something more like "Move"

I find watching "brainless" tv helpful. Too much thinking and suddenly my mind wanders or I get disgusted (I have real problems right now, thank you! is kinda what goes through my subconscious). But lighthearted fair is totally distracting. Who cares if there are plot holes big enough for a semi-truck. The hole is lined with daffodils, prat-falls, and witty banter. I just finished, or will so finish, watching a Japanese drama that is...goofy in comedy and touching in all the right places, and is so enthralling that it makes me not want to do my housework. Fantastic!

I also find listening to podcasts can work for a distraction, but it's depended on what the subject matter is. Go figure, I need it to be really engaging, make my brain work kinds of things. Maybe something that's genuinely serious instead of playing at seriousness is the key? IDK.

And as I scroll up and down this thread, I wonder what took me so long to check it out. I see it all the time, obviously, but somehow I never do "come right back to it" as I keep promising myself.

71. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 17:24:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I also find listening to podcasts can work for a distraction

I listen to the podcast, "Car Talk".... Now, I don't how to do much else other than to put gas in my SUV, but I love listening to these guys try to solve "car issues" from callers. They are two brothers from the Northeast area of the US, funny as heck personalities, and have the best accents (or at least they sound like accents to me....but I have a Southern accent, so that might make a difference in the whole accent aspect...lol.) Anyway, listening to people try and imitate the sounds that their cars make and describe the "not normal" jerking and jumping of their cars is so funny......and a very nice distraction from life. The best calls are from females that haven't a clue about the different car parts, such as myself, and try to explain the "doohickeys" and "thing-a-ma-bobs" making "clank, clank, clank" noises.....because I can soooo relate!!

72. ClutterFree

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 17:31:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Butterfly1972 - 5 minutes ago  » 
    [quote]Anyway, listening to people try and imitate the sounds that their cars make and describe the "not normal" jerking and jumping of their cars is so funny......and a very nice distraction from life.

Just imagining that made me laugh out loud. Maybe I should add some comedy to my podcast routine.

73. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 23:35:44
    #

Login to Send PM

ClutterFree wrote,

I just finished, or will so finish, watching a Japanese drama that is...goofy in comedy and touching in all the right places, and is so enthralling that it makes me not want to do my housework. Fantastic!

Yeah, I have to watch out for all those captivating drama. Glad you enjoy it.

Butterfly, you made those Car Talk podcasts so interesting.

74. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 26 2014 7:13:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Can I ask a few people to have a look at ASMR audio which came to my attention because of recent reports that they are very good at helping insomniacs to regain normal sleep patterns.

It reminds me of some experimental audio work I heard in the early 1980's which used microphones embedded in the ears of a dummy head to capture the real stereo effect. The sound of a haircut was just amazing and at times you could really "feel" the location of the scissors.

I have listen to a few of them today and I think if I was laying down in a dark room this would relax me a lot although I suspect a few of the readers might prefer a chocolatey smooth male voice rather than a low and husky female one.

Please let me have some feedback as I think this is an approach with merit.

David

75. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 26 2014 9:29:08
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 2 hours ago  » 
    Can I ask a few people to have a look at ASMR audio which came to my attention because of recent reports that they are very good at helping insomniacs to regain normal sleep patterns.

Hi David,

Do you have a link? I googled and came across a link, but, um, I'm not so sure I landed at the right place....or, maybe I did...it was a female voice....and in that instance, a "chocolatey smooth male voice" would have been much better.

Thanks,
    Butterfly

76. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 26 2014 9:57:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Butterfly1972,

The link I had was to a Russian lady doing this on YouTube. As an NLP practitioner I found the vocal range off key from where it needed to be and while a female voice will work well for men it often has the opposite effect with women although that is possibly less the case in these times of gender fluidity.

It was featured on a BBC News 24 segment at 2am about people having insomnia (yes the irony of that did not escape me). Not that I have problems sleeping but I had a conference call with Australia to discuss some of the latest advances. I am not sure if/how/when I can share that information, it may have to wait until their new website goes live to present the information as they wish to do so. Quite exciting though.

David

77. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 26 2014 12:38:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Watching Downton Abbey is another great stress buster for me. Last episode of the season is on this week.

Another good show is Doc Martin. You have to love him. Both are on PBS.

78. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 26 2014 14:14:06
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 4 hours ago  » 
    Not that I have problems sleeping but I had a conference call with Australia to discuss some of the latest advances. I am not sure if/how/when I can share that information, it may have to wait until their new website goes live to present the information as they wish to do so. Quite exciting though.

I sure do hope you'll be able to share this information with all of us!! Always nice to hear that there is something exciting on the horizon!!

79. ClutterFree

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 26 2014 23:10:41
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk wrote,

The link I had was to a Russian lady doing this on YouTube. As an NLP practitioner I found the vocal range off key from where it needed to be and while a female voice will work well for men it often has the opposite effect with women although that is possibly less the case in these times of gender fluidity.

It was featured on a BBC News 24 segment at 2am about people having insomnia (yes the irony of that did not escape me).

Oh! I wonder if this is the same thing that was featured on my newsradio station this morning. They described it as a woman doing something monotonous and repetitive. Although, now that I think about it, perhaps not. I don't know that she talks while does this stuff. Hmm...

David, I looked at a couple of the ASMR vids and I agree with Butterfly that I'd rather have a chocolaty smooth male voice, if I had a choice. Or a soft-spoken, non-whispering female voice. I find the natural sibilance annoying, as well as the wet sounds of the mouth that I'm sure is drowned out in normal speech. Personally, having someone else brush or otherwise card my hair would probably work for me.

Daylight wrote,

Another good show is Doc Martin. You have to love him. Both are on PBS.

What's it about? Not only does my cable-less tv get terrible reception for PBS, but it's a pain to stream at home as well. I'm about 2 weeks behind on Sherlock. Maybe more

80. bedbugsarethedevil123

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 27 2014 0:02:46
    #

Login to Send PM

How about the song "Another One Bites the Dust" I sing that when I find a dead bug!

81. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 27 2014 12:35:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Clutterfree,

Doc Martin is a comedy/drama set on the coast of Cornwall in England. Martin Clune plays the Doc Martin Effingham who used to be a surgeon and returns to his hometown to practice as the local GP. He is a bit gruff and lacks people skills, but he is very good hearted and funny in his way. The show has a delightful cast of characters, the setting is beautiful, and the story lines are entertaining. It's the best Brit com, in my opinion.

The completed 6th season is supposed to be on in the states, but in mine it isn't yet. Seasons 1-5 replay on PBS. Check the local listings. It started in 2004, but they didn't do one every year. If you can start with season 1, that would be best. You can get them from Netflix too.

82. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 27 2014 13:47:01
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsarethedevil123 - 13 hours ago  » 
    How about the song "Another One Bites the Dust" I sing that when I find a dead bug!

LOL!! Classic!!.....that one takes me waaaay back

83. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 27 2014 16:51:43
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 day ago  » 
    Hi,
    It reminds me of some experimental audio work I heard in the early 1980's which used microphones embedded in the ears of a dummy head to capture the real stereo effect. The sound of a haircut was just amazing and at times you could really "feel" the location of the scissors.
    I have listen to a few of them today and I think if I was laying down in a dark room this would relax me a lot although I suspect a few of the readers might prefer a chocolatey smooth male voice rather than a low and husky female one.
    Please let me have some feedback as I think this is an approach with merit.
    David

I definitely will have to try this as I have to get rid of my vampire lifestyle very soon. It's been taking a toll on me.

The male/female whispering ones, BTW no choc smooth or husky, are odd. Then, I came across a chick playing with her fingers with a makeup brush. After a while, it cracked me up. That's just me. Some people may find it relaxing, etc. However, I found one on newspaper page turning, cutting, highlighting and writing which is more promising. I am so glad that there are a variety of options out there.

84. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 27 2014 16:52:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David!

85. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 27 2014 16:55:10
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsarethedevil123 - 16 hours ago  » 

I like the chorus. "Another one bites the dust...". Thanks, BBaretheD123. Congrats on finding a dead bug!

86. ClutterFree

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 20:40:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Daylight - 3 days ago  » 
    Hi Clutterfree,
    Doc Martin is a comedy/drama set on the coast of Cornwall in England... It's the best Brit com, in my opinion.
    The completed 6th season is supposed to be on in the states, but in mine it isn't yet. Seasons 1-5 replay on PBS. Check the local listings. It started in 2004, but they didn't do one every year. If you can start with season 1, that would be best. You can get them from Netflix too.

Thank you! I was looking for something new to watch

87. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 4 2014 10:07:54
    #

Login to Send PM

A dear, sweet friend posted this on my FB timeline last night, and I thought I would pass it along to all of you as well.....

Tonight, remember that God doesn't ever sleep
    or slumber, so you can.
    Get some rest.
    God loves you, my friend.

So, when you are stressed and having trouble sleeping, remember, God is there with you.

88. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 4 2014 10:40:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Speaking of God . . .

I pass by a church every day to and from work. . .

Their sign this week reads:

Mercy

Is NOT getting

What We Deserve!

Ok . . . that might not be exactly a "Stress Buster" . . . but it has made me smile and say "AMEN!" AND "Thank You Lord!" every single time I have passed it!!!

89. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 4 2014 15:50:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Yay, Butterfly and Abs.

I found a piece from DaySpring.com:

You Are Loved by Jesus

Higher than the sky.
    Deeper than the ocean.
    More than you've even dared to dream.
    The hairs on your head are numbered,
    The cares in your heart are too.
    You are fearfully and wonderfully made. You have a purpose and there is a good plan for you.
    You are fully and beautifully known by the One who loves you, more than you can even imagine.

90. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 5 2014 17:40:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't have a quote or a video today, but I was kinda, sorta stressed today, so I took my dogs and kids outside into the fresh fallen snow and played, and played......and played.....well, for about 40 mins cause Momma got COLD ~ it's 19 degrees where I am....with a *feels like* 7 degrees....brrrr

But, playing and running around in the snow was a much needed stress reliever. Ever slid down a slide in the snow?......Super fun!! It was nice to just let go and be a kid again.....if only for a few minutes. That's my tip of the day....lol.

91. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 5 2014 20:26:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Butterfly,

It sounds like you enjoyed a "perfect" day for me. Snow is soo much fun, and when your kids and dogs are there with you sharing the blissful moments, it doesn't get much better! You reminded me of good memories in my own life--thanks! I truly love snow, ice skating, tobogganing, skiing (tho I haven't been in over 40 years)--but I've been a military wife stationed in the South for most of my life. So thanks for the reminder of good old times!

92. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 6 2014 14:10:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Daylight - 17 hours ago  » 
    It sounds like you enjoyed a "perfect" day for me. Snow is soo much fun, and when your kids and dogs are there with you sharing the blissful moments, it doesn't get much better! You reminded me of good memories in my own life--thanks! I truly love snow, ice skating, tobogganing, skiing (tho I haven't been in over 40 years)--but I've been a military wife stationed in the South for most of my life. So thanks for the reminder of good old times!

Hi Daylight,

I'm so glad you were reminded of good times! I grew up in the deep South and have lived up North for the past 15 years. I'm not a big fan of the snow (although yesterday was really fun!). I prefer hot weather, sunshine, shorts, and flip flops. Soooo, if you have any *life in the South* stories, I would love to hear them.....I miss home.

93. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 6 2014 23:22:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I used to love tobogganing when I was a kid.

It must be tough with your hubby away on business trips often, Butterfly; military, Daylight.

94. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 8 2014 20:15:36
    #

Login to Send PM

95. RaccoonEyes

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 9 2014 0:03:08
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking - 1 week ago  » 

bedbugsarethedevil123 - 16 hours ago  » 

I like the chorus. "Another one bites the dust...". Thanks, BBaretheD123. Congrats on finding a dead bug!

Then when you count multiple in one place "And another one gone, another one gone.."

96. RaccoonEyes

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 9 2014 0:09:42
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 3 weeks ago  » 
    I defy anyone to be stressed after 2 hours of the music of my people.

David

*-* Isle of Man? That's the #1 place I wanna go to- followed by Scotland and Ireland (south). I also have a Manx cat. Have you ever heard Canadian Celtic music?

97. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 9 2014 4:14:00
    #

Login to Send PM

prefer hot weather, sunshine, shorts, and flip flops.

Oh dear, I almost forgot those existed. We had a brutal winter this year in Montreal

Can't wait for the spring to come and sit out in the sun

So, when you are stressed and having trouble sleeping, remember, God is there with you.

Yep, I pray to my mother who passed away 3 years ago (last of my family) and I think that she is there when I sleep watching me and protecting me, it's kinda silly but it really helps me

I was once told it's not so much the results of prayer that counts, just the act of prayer is what is most important, it's relaxing , I'm not a super religious person, but after a lot of things I endured I realized prayer helped me a great deal....

This is a great uplifting and inspirational thread

Good going you guys!

98. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 9 2014 7:51:13
    #

Login to Send PM

endless_nightmare - 3 hours ago  » 
    Yep, I pray to my mother who passed away 3 years ago (last of my family) and I think that she is there when I sleep watching me and protecting me, it's kinda silly but it really helps me

Not silly at all, Endless... My mom passed in August of 2011, and I talk to her every single day....multiple times a day. She was my best friend, and when she was on this Earth with me, I would call her several times a day just to ask a question or say "hi". When she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, she also lost her hearing within just a few months time, so my daily calls to her stopped, but I would "talk" to her anyway....just to myself. I've done that ever since. It makes me feel like she is right here next to me.....guiding me. That's a very comforting feeling.

99. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 14 2014 2:44:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Click here for relaxing meditation music, ocean views and tranquility.

You can slide the red horizontal bar to choose your favorite ocean view. If it doesn't play after you move it, you may have to hit the toggle pause/play key once and then wait (sometimes, twice). Click the far bottom right icon for full screen.

100. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2014 2:04:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Butterfly, you mentioned putting coconut lotion on first and then enjoying the above ocean view video in another thread (sorry, I forgot which thread). How creative! Thanks!

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.

296,894 posts in 50,058 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,369 members. Latest: sai, Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019