Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Stinging Bites, once a week, no other evidence!

(3 posts)
  1. bugsinmorocco1

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 9 2017 14:14:32
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband and I have recently noticed bites that look like bed bug bites. About a month ago we went to Turkey and were bit by something every night. Before coming back and entering our apartment, we went straight to the laundry room and threw everything into the dryers on high heat for 1 hour (including our backpacks-- we didn't have suitcases). Anything that couldn't go in the dryer was immediately bagged in plastic, then carefully inspected the next day and sprayed with alcohol.

Since then, I've been noticing one or two bites (close together) on my shoulders/arms about once a week. I didn't notice the first one until about 10 days after we came back. My husband hasn't noticed any bites till this weekend, and that was one on his arm. The same day a bite appeared on my shoulder that looked very suspicious. It is really dry here and we don't have mosquitos-- plus they don't look like mosquito bites.

So yesterday I spent the whole day laundering our bedding, making little water/soap traps in bowls around the legs of our bed (so they can't climb up), inspecting and spraying the bed frame with alcohol, inspecting the mattress, and then wrapping TONS of plastic wrap and tape around the mattress to seal it. (I live in Morocco and we don't have fancy bug proof mattress covers, so I improvised). During all of my inspections I saw no signs of bugs, although our mattress has holes in it, so they could have been inside.

So I spent the whole day making our bed sterile and bug-proofing it...or so I thought.

Then...last night, my husband felt something sting him on his back, which was exposed. The mark is still there-- characteristic of a bed bug bite. But I heard that you're not supposed to feel them when they bite you (because they numb you first)? He said it was a stinging sensation like when a big mosquito bites you. Could we be getting bit by bed bugs? It would have been impossible for them to get onto the bed unless they were already there (I made those traps serious, and reinforced them by lathering vaseline onto the bed legs) It just seems strange to me that they survived everything we put them through... but these bites are incredibly suspicious.

Thanks for your insights!!!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 9 2017 14:52:03
    #

Login to Send PM

If it eats it poops. Look for cast skins, fecal staining and actual bed bugs.

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  3. bugsinmorocco1

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 9 2017 15:00:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I did... didn't see any signs at all. Granted, I did not do a thorough check of anything other than the bed, its frame, our nightstands, and under the bed. The thought of pulling apart our closet and dresser is overwhelming.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,621 posts in 43,065 topics over 129 months by 18,896 of 19,457 members. Latest: Bugtimore, Paranoid34, terrifieddd