Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Stinging bites- is it bed bugs?

(6 posts)
  1. bugsinmorocco1

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 2:28:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Last night my husband felt something bite him-- a stinging sensation, like when a big mosquito bites. It left a red mark that looks just like a big bed bug bite (not a mosquito bite-- he reacts differently, and it usually goes away within a few hours--plus it's really dry here and I haven't seen a mosquito in weeks). He still has the mark. Could this be a bed bug bite?

This is only the second bite like this he has noticed. The other one is smaller, he noticed it a couple of mornings prior. I've gotten bit 3-4 times over the past month. I never feel it, I just notice the bites later in the day because they itch. I've been getting isolated bites-- just one or two in the same spot, not more than once a week, on my arms.

I'm hoping they are fleas-- we were taking care of a friend's cat two weeks ago and noticed it had fleas. But this doesn't sound like flea behavior. Plus I haven't seen any since shortly after the cat left.

We have stripped the bed and searched for signs of bugs with a flashlight (poop stains, skins), and have found NOTHING on the bed frame, mattress, or immediately around the bed. I'm going insane. We've had them once before and I know it's a nightmare.

So, my question is, have you ever experienced a bed bug bite sting? Do you feel it when it bites? Or was it something else?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 12:35:01
    #

Login to Send PM

No evidence and knowing that there were fleas present sounds pretty good. There is no standard reaction to bed bugs, what may cause one discomfort goes unnoticed by another.

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  3. bugsinmorocco1

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 11 2017 11:06:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I was really hoping you were right about the fleas... but this morning I noticed a bite on my side, which was covered by clothing and sheets at night. I'm really worried.

Should I start treatment, or keep looking for signs? I heard that light infestations are really difficult to detect. I figure I might as well start bagging things up as I inspect.

I live in Morocco, in a rural area. We are going to the city this weekend. Are there any suggestions on basic bug-fighting supplies we can get? It would have to be the drug-store type of basics. I don't think there are is a lot of fancy equipment in this country to fight bed bugs. Plus, we couldn't afford it if we wanted to. We are barely scraping by as it is. Also, I'm pregnant, so toxic chemicals are out of the question.

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

4. Mawiwala

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 11 2017 11:22:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Fleas are more likely when bitten under covered areas. Bed bugs tend to bite at exposed areas.

Keep inspecting before treating for bed bugs.

5. bugsinmorocco1

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 11 2017 16:39:41
    #

Login to Send PM

ok...yeah I won't go into full swing treatment mode just yet...but the thing is, we only go to the city about once a month, so I want to get some things while I can. It's quite a journey to get there and usually requires a whole day, time that I can't afford to lose that often (as a grad student). So are there any supplies that you would suggest? I am thinking large plastic trash bags (something we can't get here in this town)...

Things I can find in this town are:

Talc (baby powder)
    small trash bags

Things that don't exist in this country:
    isopropyl alcohol (they only have 70% ethanol that comes in a tiny squirt bottle at the pharmacy and is overpriced...this is what I found out last year when we encountered bed bugs at a friend's house in Tangier)
    zip lock bags larger than a quart (and even those can be difficult to find)

Any ideas for an alternative to alcohol? I read somewhere on this form that dish detergent with water works? Does it kills eggs and adults?

Mattress covers, steamers, and expensive things of that sort I wouldn't invest in unless I knew I had them. Plus, I'm not sure if and where I can even find those. Shipping here sucks. I don't want to ever order anything valuable online...when my mom has sent me packages or letters, they either don't arrive or come opened.

Thanks for your feedback!

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 11 2017 16:49:33
    #

Login to Send PM

You don't need the alcohol as its just a contact killer; my index finger has a 100% kill rate.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,621 posts in 43,065 topics over 129 months by 18,896 of 19,457 members. Latest: Bugtimore, Paranoid34, terrifieddd