(5 posts)
  1. tendaras

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Apr 13 2016 21:00:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

Here is my story, I used to work in a hotel and I would come across BB rooms a lot. More than once a week. I eventually quit that job after a few months because of this. Recently, 2 weeks ago, I started noticing bug bite marks on my neck and shoulders and immediately freaked out. I checked my mattress and boxspring and all along the baseboards of my room and found nothing. There are 2 rips in my mattress near the bottom and the top on the side (it's an old mattress). I never saw any bed bugs anywhere or there fecal matter but still called the exterminators. Terminix saw my bite marks and looked at my mattress and as soon as they saw the rips they said they would have to treat the entire house. For a second opinion I called Orkin. Their PCO told me to get rid of the bed and vaccum and spray down the baseboards with Alcohol. So I put the bed in mattress bags from Uhual as Orkin suggested and have them outside waiting for garbage pickup and tore out the rug and sprayed down the base boards and cracks with 91% Alcohol.

Orkin and Terminx both said they didn't see any signs outside of my bites. Orkin also said that they may just be inside the mattress because of those rips so getting bed out could solve this. No bugs, shells, or poop. When my friend and I were tearing the room apart and spraying it down with alcohol we didn't see anything at all. No bugs, poop, or shells.

Am I just lucky? Should I spray down the baseboards and cracks every few days with Alcohol?

Haven't seen any bugs. I'm the only one that's been bit, and I've been sleeping on the couch for a few days now.

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Apr 14 2016 8:07:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like you are overreacting to a situation where there were no bedbugs found. Your best bet is to utilize a monitoring system for early detection. I don't recommend 91% alcohol. You can make a low cost contact killer by mixing 5 ounces of 50% rubbing alcohol with 5 ounces of Murphy's oil soap mixed with 10 ounces of water. The soap neutralizes any flammability issues with the alcohol.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. tendaras

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Apr 14 2016 9:33:08
    #

Login to Send PM

jim danca - 1 hour ago  » 
    Sounds like you are overreacting to a situation where there were no bedbugs found.

This, this so hard lol The only real "evidence" of them are the multiple bite marks on my neck that occurred over time, usually 1 bite here 1 bite there. I'll take that cleaning solution recipe for sure and look up some traps to lay down. Everyone else in the house is trying to relax but I don't want to yet. I'm calmer then I was at the beginning but I feel one of has to be vigilant lol

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Apr 14 2016 12:50:39
    #

Login to Send PM

tendaras - 15 hours ago  » 
    Hello,
    Here is my story, I used to work in a hotel and I would come across BB rooms a lot. More than once a week. I eventually quit that job after a few months because of this. Recently, 2 weeks ago, I started noticing bug bite marks on my neck and shoulders and immediately freaked out. I checked my mattress and boxspring and all along the baseboards of my room and found nothing. There are 2 rips in my mattress near the bottom and the top on the side (it's an old mattress). I never saw any bed bugs anywhere or there fecal matter but still called the exterminators. Terminix saw my bite marks and looked at my mattress and as soon as they saw the rips they said they would have to treat the entire house. For a second opinion I called Orkin. Their PCO told me to get rid of the bed and vaccum and spray down the baseboards with Alcohol. So I put the bed in mattress bags from Uhual as Orkin suggested and have them outside waiting for garbage pickup and tore out the rug and sprayed down the base boards and cracks with 91% Alcohol.
    Orkin and Terminx both said they didn't see any signs outside of my bites. Orkin also said that they may just be inside the mattress because of those rips so getting bed out could solve this. No bugs, shells, or poop. When my friend and I were tearing the room apart and spraying it down with alcohol we didn't see anything at all. No bugs, poop, or shells.
    Am I just lucky? Should I spray down the baseboards and cracks every few days with Alcohol?
    Haven't seen any bugs. I'm the only one that's been bit, and I've been sleeping on the couch for a few days now.

"Bites", skin lesions or bites are not indicative of bed bugs. Without definitive evidence of actual bed bugs - eggs, egg shells, fecal waste droppings, metabolic waste droppings, shed skins, live bugs, dead bugs - the causative agent of skin lesions might not be bed bugs so treatment for them is not indicated. Monitoring with the various types of monitors could very well assist in finding out what is going on.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. tendaras

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Apr 14 2016 14:12:52
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 1 hour ago  » 
    "Bites", skin lesions or bites are not indicative of bed bugs. Without definitive evidence of actual bed bugs - eggs, egg shells, fecal waste droppings, metabolic waste droppings, shed skins, live bugs, dead bugs - the causative agent of skin lesions might not be bed bugs so treatment for them is not indicated. Monitoring with the various types of monitors could very well assist in finding out what is going on.

Thanks for the response. We have seen no bugs, eggs, or evidence there of outside of the bites on my neck. I am looking up the traps and monitors and will invest in some of those soon. I'm just freaking out after all the research I did while working at the hotel and the amount of bite marks on my neck.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

263,919 posts in 42,659 topics over 128 months by 18,721 of 19,256 members. Latest: fg2670, ImCursed, Harkro