Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Free for all

Still have signs after heat and chemical treatments!!

(9 posts)
  1. losingmymindintx

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 27 2011 21:23:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, I am new to this site but have been following posts for several months now. I am desperate and at my breaking point, and just don't know what to do. Depression, OCD and severe anxiety are at an all time high. OUR fight with bedbugs goes back to June of last year. I say "our", because its my husband, 2 year old daughter, 4 year old son and myself. This has affected all of us tremendously...in a way I never thought possible. Here goes....
    In June 2010 my family spent a week in Florida for summer vacation. Two days in, we all had some sort of rash or bites but just chalked it up to a reaction to cleaning products in codo, sand, sun etc...my husband had the worst reaction and it got progressively worse throughout the week. Fast forward to about a month after returning home. Started to notice dark specks on out pale yellow bed sheets. Hmmm, "what could be wrong with the washing machine or dryer" is what we kept thinking. Had never even heard of bedbugs other than the nursery rhyme! A week or so later, I started notcing rash/bites and eventually saw my dermatologist which gave me steroids, antibiotics etc to no avail. Three visits later (and noticing random bites on my children and husband), I was doing the normal bi-weekly sheet change on our bed and BAM!! My hubby spots a bug, googles it and announces that we have bed bugs. Fantastic. We still didnt know much about them, but I am the gooogle queen and went straight to work. I was in panic mode, and made my husband throw out the bed frame, mattress, pull up the carpet, throw away all luggage and numerous other items. Our bedroom was stipped and door closed. I couldnt handle it. 8 months later it remains that way (us sleeping on an air mattress in another room , which I later learned switching rooms is a big no-no). We immediately called a PCO and they came out and treated our bedroom and bathroom with chemicals and said they would treat again in two weeks. I asked over and over if we needed to treat the entire house and was told no, because the infestation was limited to our room, which is where the luggage sat for a week after we returned from vacation and no other signs anywhere else. BIG MISTAKE! Three treatments later we were still getting bit and they had spread. I should add that we live in a single family home. I couldnt sleep, all I did was obsess, check my kid's throughout the night and cry 24/7 SO, we called out the big guns! We located a company and hired them to do a heat treatment. It was expensive and drained our bank account. But, we thought that would be a surefire way to get rid of them and move on. We were wrong. A few weeks later I was on the sofa watching a movie after the rest of the family had gone to bed...got up to go to the restroom...switched on the light...and there it was. An adult bedbug on the thigh of my sweatpants. I yelled for my husband and we trapped it in a ziploc. We called the PCO that did the heat treatment and they brought the K-9 out, which alerted to the couch and the wall in our bedroom. They came out a few weeks later and did another "heat treatment", but this time it was not even two hours long. We didnt feel very comfortable with this, but kept getting reassured that it was ok. They also used cryo and chemical to back it up. A few weeks later more bites and more fecal stains. Came back out and more chemicals and cryo. This trend has happened over and over. I know we are not bringing them form an outside source because it is a daily cycle of everyone stripping down and clothes immediately in hot washer/dryer, shoes sprayed with 90% alcohol etc. Its a horrible, vicious cycle that is never ending.
    Anyway, here we are 8 months later. We are seeing more and more fecal spots on the snow white sheets that drape the couches, and more bites. WE DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!! This has ruined what is supposed to be a wonderful time in our lives watching our young children grow and supposed to be enjoying life. Instead we are helpless and feel like we are in jail. If we move, they will just come with us, right?! If we stay, we are living among this evil insect and being fed on each night. Please help, anyone that has advice!! I know KillerQueen is supposed to have great knowledge on the subject. We are limited too because we live in the DFW area, and there just isnt the help and expertise like there would be in NYC. HELP!!!!! I fear for my family, because this has taken over our lives and we have no idea what to do. This has really messed with my mental health, to say the least. And how can I be a good mom in this state of mind??!! It all just feels so hopeless.
    Sorry for being so long winded, guess I needed to get it all out there!!

2. scaredsilly

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 28 2011 1:14:41
    #

Login to Send PM

So sorry you are suffering like this! Are you still under warantee with the company that did heat treatment? If so, consider calling upper management, the BBB or whoever it takes to get them to come back and do the job correctly. If need be, maybe you should go after the company for a refund and find another PCO?

Especially with little ones, you don't want to mess around trying to DIY with chemicals, etc. However, check the facts area on the site for things that you can do at home that might help and would not be harmful to your family. I am thinking of steaming certain items and caulking of cracks and crevices. Whatever you decide to do, I'm so glad you posted because you need companionship and support. We are all here for you. Hug and enjoy your kids and hang in there!

3. jeffklein

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Feb 7 2011 13:58:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Two hours is not enough time to heat an interior wall void. Typically its about an hour to get to temperature and then a three to five hour cook depending on the size and materials involved. This is why its important everyone should have a warranty. Bed Bug treatments are expensive. We provide a 60 day on a stand-alone home and 30 days on an apartment or 60 if surrounding units are inspected with a canine prior to treatment. Double check your warranty and insist on another heat treatment.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Feb 7 2011 14:45:48
    #

Login to Send PM

If this firm was backing up "heat treatment" with crynoite and chemicals, and it only took two hours, are you sure the "heat treatment" wasn't just an application of steam? It might be worth asking what their "heat treatment" consists of.

We have heard a few cases where PCOs were referring to steam as "heat treatment". Most of us are referring to heating the entire home to high temps for 4+ hours.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. BarelyLiving2

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Feb 7 2011 15:10:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm so sorry to hear your story. I can totally empathize as a mom who went through this. Get your money back from the thermal company. If they had any sort of warrantee they have not fulfilled it because they never succeeded even if they have made attempts to retreat since then. But it definitely doesn't sound like they did it right. You need to get a refund. Threaten to report them to the BBB and/or talk to a local newsreporter (you know one of those investigative (on your side) reporters) and write them up on web reviews if they do not refund all your money.

Then use that refund to get Vikane if you can. It's cheaper in the southwest, I think, and you can put your cars in the garage make sure they are clear, too.

Since the situation has dragged on, unfortuneately you may need to think about if you could have possibly spread it anywhere at this point, because you don't want to get it back.

We're all pulling for you, best wishes. Let us know with any new developments, people are pretty helpful.

6. Beth

account closed

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 22:52:22
    #

Login to Send PM

losingmymindintx,

I am so sorry for this for you and your children. All I must think about is my pets and partner, luckily no kids to speak of. I know one family with children who has these, and with their extremely limited income, I don't know if they'll ever be free of them. They are from Africa though and don't seem as bothered, although it did break up the relationship between the woman and man, who is American.

My partner and I are in a drop and leave situation and that is what we plan to do with just clothes shortly as we have tried everything else it seems, but thermal. But yeah, 2 hours? Are they serious?

Unfortunately, with children you can't just buy all new stuff, unless you had thousands in savings. I've thought about this with my friends and moving---they couldn't afford new toys and bikes and beds all for their kids. Is it possible for you and your husband to begin saving money to start over in 6 months say? I've lived with them for two years, so it is possible, but you're right, it's an anxiety nightmare.

I'm not sure what to tell you other than report that company, demand an 8 hour thermal treatment or go the vikane route. But please, if you do the latter, make sure they vikane for 24 hours at 3x the concentration for termites. Get a fumigation log. My vikane failed as it was not done properly (and as a bonus they left my car with a flat tire!)

Best of luck-
    Amy

7. scaredsilly

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 15 2011 22:16:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought Losingmymind's story was odd in that a company would use thermal "heat" treatment and then keep coming back with chemicals. However, I interviewed a company today who said they would "heat" my bedroom until it reached 120 and hold for an hour. Then they would come back and do the second bedroom the next day. They would return in 2 weeks and spray Demand and then return prior to the 30 day treatment period and sniff with a dog. If there were still bugs per the dog, they would then decide if they would heat the room over or do "steam." This doesnt seem right at all and by these stories you can see that there is still a lot of poorly trained PCO's out there. Mine was rated A+ by the BBB! To me, if they already know they are spraying 1-2 times after thermal, then the thermal treatment is not successful and they shouldn't be using it.

8. Dcajv

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 4 2011 12:50:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Please tell me you have gotten rid of them by now and how. My nightmare just started at the beginning of March. I have 4 kids and a husband who doesn't necessarily share my views on our issue. I too am losing my mind.

9. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 4 2011 14:31:32
    #

Login to Send PM

scaredsilly - 1 month ago  » 
    I thought Losingmymind's story was odd in that a company would use thermal "heat" treatment and then keep coming back with chemicals. However, I interviewed a company today who said they would "heat" my bedroom until it reached 120 and hold for an hour. Then they would come back and do the second bedroom the next day. They would return in 2 weeks and spray Demand and then return prior to the 30 day treatment period and sniff with a dog. If there were still bugs per the dog, they would then decide if they would heat the room over or do "steam." This doesnt seem right at all and by these stories you can see that there is still a lot of poorly trained PCO's out there. Mine was rated A+ by the BBB! To me, if they already know they are spraying 1-2 times after thermal, then the thermal treatment is not successful and they shouldn't be using it.

This sounds horribly amateurish and would not appear to offer the advantages that "thermal" is supposed to.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.