Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Still getting bites after bed isolation and cimexa....

(11 posts)
  1. ianlin

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Fri Nov 18 2016 20:20:19
    #

Login to Send PM

About a couple of months ago, my wife and I begin to notice bug bites when when wake up in the morning. They are very itchy red bumps that appear in clusters. Then a blister appears on top of the bumps after a couple of days. We tend to wake up in the morning to find new bites. They very similar to beg bug bite photos we found on internet. We inspected the mattress, box spring, bed sheets, etc. But found no live bugs, dead bugs, blood smears, fecal stains, shed skins, etc, found nothing. Nevertheless we keep getting bites, so we decided to assume there is an infestation.

Here is what we have done so far:
    1. pulled bed away from wall.
    2. encased the mattress and box spring
    3. climb up traps under bed frame legs
    4. ran bedsheets, pajamas, pillows, blankets on high heat in dryer x 30 min every 2-3 days
    5. build a home-made CO2 trap (yeast and sugar water as CO2 source)
    6. sprayed Cimexa powder on carpet around the bed, bed frame, and outside of encased box spring.

Unfortunately, we are still getting bites. The climb up traps and the CO2 trap have thus far caught nothing. We still have found no live bugs, dead bugs, blood smears, fecal stains, shed skins. But the bites are highly consistent with bed bugs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. ianlin

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Fri Nov 18 2016 20:23:01
    #

Login to Send PM

additional info: this has only affected our bedroom so far, other family members have not reported bites.

3. bugged-cdn

Posted 11 months ago
    Sat Nov 19 2016 6:16:54
    #

Login to Send PM

You can hire an exterminator to inspect your home. They can go ahead and treat if they find evidence. If you have shared walls with a neighbor with a known infestation, then the pro may treat regardless.

4. ianlin

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Sat Nov 19 2016 14:59:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your reply, bugged-cdn.
    At this point, I have not decided to hire a PCO yet. Partly because of cost, partly because of potential social embarrassment.
    Do you have any experience with sprays? I have not tried it yet because sprays "kill on contact", that means I would have to see a bug first. Since thus far we haven't seen any, would the spray do any good?
    I have been looking at a spray called "Bye Bye Bedbugs" on Amazon. It has pretty good reviews from other users. Has anyone tried it before?

5. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 11 months ago
    Sun Nov 20 2016 4:37:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I am not an expert but treating your dwelling for bedbugs such as spraying insecticide and using other products is pointless unless you know that you have bedbugs. You need to find out what is biting you either by doing your own very detailed inspection or by getting in a PCO to inspect for you.
    You also risk exposing other people to whatever is biting you if you do not tale appropriate action.

6. Bedbug5150

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 8 2017 4:08:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I am going through something very similar except I have found 2 casings. I am having a horrible reaction and have torn my apartment apart trying to find them. I have even purged items, taken my bed apart, caulked..hit up every plug and socket. You name it! I even ordered a steamer, steamed, sprayed, made Co2 traps and put them everywhere. Cimexa has been used in powder form and as a spray. I am still getting bit to the point to where I can't sleep. I have welts as a reaction and they burn and itch terribly from being allergic. They even got the palm of my hand and still no harborage has been found. My foam mattress has been incased as well. Bedbugcrazy

7. Bedbug5150

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 8 2017 4:10:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I am going through something very similar except I have found 2 casings. I am having a horrible reaction and have torn my apartment apart trying to find them. I have even purged items, taken my bed apart, caulked..hit up every plug and socket. You name it! I even ordered a steamer, steamed, sprayed, made Co2 traps and put them everywhere. Cimexa has been used in powder form and as a spray. I am still getting bit to the point to where I can't sleep. I have welts as a reaction and they burn and itch terribly from being allergic. They even got the palm of my hand and still no harborage has been found. My foam mattress has been incased as well. Bedbugcrazy

8. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 8 2017 5:39:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Time to call the pros.

9. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 8 2017 10:58:41
    #

Login to Send PM

There is nothing to be ashamed of. Bed bugs will live in even the cleanest of homes. They are NOT associated with hygiene or uncleanliness. They only care about having access to your blood and nothing else. If someone says something then just educate them. They have been found in the richest hotels in the world. Finding them and eliminating them is essential. If you're worried that someone will see the PCO coming into your apartment thats good. Then maybe it will prompt others to get inspected as well. Its possible, if you even have bed bugs, that you are not even the source, but a neighbor. They do travel between units if the infestation is heavy.

Get a professional inspection. Some companies do it for free. Also look at your rental agreement regarding pests. Some landlords are responsible for paying for the exterminator or part of it. You have to get something done about them because they do not go away on their own. In fact, they will get worse. And most DIY treatments are unsuccessful. Especially if your neighbors is the source. Remember that sprays will most likely spread them around. As they are contact killers (other bugs will sense the spray and run deeper into hiding) Most do not have a residual effect and once they dry they are useless.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  10. zebmandebugger

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 23:15:33
    #

Login to Send PM

You really need to see signs of the bugs somewhere if you have bedbugs. Sometimes you have to look very closely. There are many other sources of bites other than bedbugs.

If your bed is completely clean and protected and treated and the legs secured and your blankets do not touch the ground and you go to bed naked and never get up during the night then the source is somewhere else in your room or home.

If you are convinced you have bedbugs only in your bedroom first thing you should do is create a good unbroken perimeter of DE powder on the carpet including in front of doors. This is the second most powerful and useful eradication you can do after protecting your sleeping area. Put secondary circles of powder around all furniture in your bedroom.

11. zebmandebugger

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 23:31:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Forgot to add - get rid of headboard if you have one. They can hide in the headboard and be very difficult to see and kill.

There are contact chemicals and residual chemicals. Contact chemicals kill quickly on contact but do not stay active. You need to know where the bugs are most likely residing and flood these areas. When I say "flood" I am referring to chemical use that is not toxic per say. I found that ammonia solution with water, but still very strong to the smell, is the MOST effective quick killer. Also, the fumes will penetrate cracks to some degree. This is from my own limited tests when I was able to capture live bugs and compare - alcohol, vinegar, permethrin, steam, etc. Ammonia gas is not really toxic unless you breath a large amount of highly concentrated gas from a tank which will burn your lungs. It goes up in the air and breaks down and not at all harmful to environment. You could spray your carpet with ammonia solution, open a few windows, leave the area or house, then come back over it later with a carpet machine. You can spray it almost anywhere that water will not harm. It is a strong cleaner and can harm some things but I have not had any problems.

DO NOT LET AMMONIA NEAR BLEACH - BAD CHEMICAL REACTION

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,621 posts in 43,065 topics over 129 months by 18,896 of 19,457 members. Latest: Bugtimore, Paranoid34, terrifieddd