Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Steamer rental

(6 posts)
  1. bedbugsenigma

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Feb 14 2008 2:10:35
    #

Login to Send PM

So I have done lots of research on steamer treatment against eggs/bugs. I know some people recommend WhiteWing but the review on Allergy Buyers says "The WhiteWing runs wetter than some of our top of the line steam cleaners." In Rich Cooper's Bed Bug Handbook, it says "the less moisture the better, especially when treating slow-drying materials." Is it for mold issues or effectiveness on killing eggs/bugs?

In the Allergy Buyers web site it says that increasing the thickness of the toweling on the attachments would diminish the wetness but I don't know if that would be good enough for our purposes.

The best steamer machine seems to be the Ladybug 2200s. Of course it is way too expensive ($1,250) so I googled to see if I could find any rental place in NYC and did not come up with anything. Any suggestions?

2. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Feb 14 2008 11:21:24
    #

Login to Send PM

BBE, you should read the FAQs.

This FAQ links to an article that discusses various strategies including steaming and you really need to figure out how to do it correctly before you even buy or rent anything.

And also read the Australian Code of Practice which has a section on steaming and which is also linked from the FAQ: http://medent.usyd.edu.au/bedbug/

The FAQ also contains information from NotSoSnug and a link to a library protocol for books and papers.

So, the FAQs are your friend.

3. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Feb 14 2008 11:24:58
    #

Login to Send PM

And it should be noted that Fourt used a commercial garment steamer. She said it produced dry steam. You would really need to check the temperature that it produces and maybe ask Fourt for further details. She said it was a Jiffy garment steamer.

This might be cheaper than a commercial dry steam machine. Actually I know it's cheaper from a simple google search. But you would need to do your homework before choosing it instead to make sure it is going to be effective (temperature and dry steam). I am only pointing you to the information, not recommending it.

4. bedbugsenigma

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Feb 14 2008 23:02:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi 'nomo, I know there is a lot of great info in the FAQs and I did search for an answer there before posting my messages. I missed the info on books but I got more info through my posting so I am happy. But thank you so much for pointing to the info in the FAQs.

I did read about steam in the Australian Code of Practice. Direct contact is essential and so I understand that potential damage to surfaces may happen. I was hoping to use steaming for shoes, handbags and garments made of fabric that can't go in the dryer, like wool, silk, and cashmere. But direct steam may be worse than the dryer. What do you think? Dry cleaning would work for garments I guess but it so expensive!

Fourt wrote to me that she returned her Jiffy steamer, bought a proctor silex, and is happy with it. I asked her what model and am waiting to hear back. I could not find any proctor silex steamer on line.

Still looking for some rental place in NYC if anyone knows..

5. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Feb 17 2008 21:21:24
    #

Login to Send PM

People have put delicates in the dryer without ill effect as long as they are already dry.

Read the comment by overbugged in the clothing faq.

Obviously, I cannot guarantee that this will not ruin your delicate clothes but it seems to be an option for at least some things.

I'm sorry, I have no direct knowledge of the merits of steam vs. low-temp oven vs. the dryer for handbags and shoes. But since you don't have a dryer, and rely on commercial laundromats, the dryer method is probably not for you, since optimally you need a dryer rack to prevent tumbling. Dryer + tumbling probably = ruined shoes.

6. bedbugsenigma

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Feb 18 2008 1:47:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you 'nomo. I was thinking of doing what overbugged did but wasn't sure of its effectiveness. I guess heat at the right temp and for the right duration kills even if there was no previous hot cycle in the washer.

I am actually thinking of buying a dryer because otherwise I may just go insane in and out a hundred times. I can't have a washer as I know that someone got it before me and had several problems.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,116 posts in 28,293 topics over 87 months by 12,191 of 19,345 members. Latest: sera143, falc, falc2
Site Meter