Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

start treatment only after bb PCO identified now or after ?

(9 posts)
  1. mysterybite1

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Nov 1 2017 23:02:10
    #

Login to Send PM

My current situation is i believe i had a hitchhiker bb on my bag from outside of my car, but have not seen any in the car after removing the ones on my bag (i don't know if there were others that remained in the car before I noticed any). I did not have any bites in the car, but I did have bites two days before seeing the bugs while shopping outside the car (i itched and saw clear welts develop pretty much immediately after sitting down in the driver's seat, i believe it would have taken a few minutes for a bug to even have finished feeding and this seemed immediately).

I don't know if those bites were related to the bug i saw on my bag in the car, but I think they were since they hadn't happened separately before then, and happened at the same time frame now.

My question is, i know you need to have a bug positively id'ed by a PCO for them to commence treatment (or as a general rule, to commence self treatment). Should I count the bugs I saw on my bag as from my car? I felt that they were from the bag because they did not come out from the seat, or on the dashboard, but seemed to come from the upper fold on the backpack. So far I have been waiting to see another one before considering it a for sure infestation in the car, although I am already doing a lot of prep work like cleaning clutter, getting traps, protecting my purse, etc. I have not gotten any more fore sure-bites (i have gotten some rashes, but not confirmed bites -- this makes me hope that I did indeed kill all the adults i found, but may still have nymphs -- i react to bug bites with distinct and round welts, these with water blisters in the center, but i have not had anything like that since. It has now been 1 week since I saw the bugs crawling on my bag in the car, and 12 days since I got the bites with the water blisters. (the two possible sources of the bug, my clothes for the time frame, and my backpack, have both been washed and dried. The clothes I wore for those two days between the bites and the sighting did spend some time in my hamper at home, but I have not gotten bitten at home even while sleeping on the floor.).

Pleassse let me know if I am right to wait for a bug sighting from my car. I am having the car steam cleaned tomorrow, and am planning to do so again in 10 days. If I saw another bug I might have a PCO put a nuvan pest strip in my car. I am normally afraid of those because I know they attack the CNS.

2. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 2 2017 10:07:03
    #

Login to Send PM

You need to know what you're exterminating before you start doing anything. That includes professional and DIY treatments.

3. mysterybite1

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 2 2017 22:06:33
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 11 hours ago  » 
    You need to know what you're exterminating before you start doing anything. That includes professional and DIY treatments.

Hi, thanks for replying. I have a sample, but the thing is that sample was the one crawling on my bag -- would it count as proof that there are bed bugs in my car? I found the bug while in my car. I guess it doesn't matter -- the PCO will inspect anyway. But if the PCO doesn't find anything they won't treat, right?

4. mysterybite1

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Nov 3 2017 0:05:30
    #

Login to Send PM

here is the sample

https://imgur.com/a/rPybv

remember this is what i caught on my backpack. If i show this to a PCO and it's confirmed a bb, will he treat the car as a precaution or as a full on treatment (that bbs are in the car)?

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Nov 3 2017 5:22:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it inside a plastic bag? Difficult to ID if can't really see it although it looks like a late instar nymph. Certainly could have just been a hitchhiker and no bugs in the car. Do you know why you had it on or in your backpack?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. mysterybite1

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 5 2017 3:27:07
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 1 day ago  » 
    Is it inside a plastic bag? Difficult to ID if can't really see it although it looks like a late instar nymph. Certainly could have just been a hitchhiker and no bugs in the car. Do you know why you had it on or in your backpack?

Oh my gosh, so happy to see you here lou. Yes, it is inside a plastic bag. I thought it was an instar because there was a dark spot in the middle that is gone now that it has been squished. If you could please see my story and let me know your opinion of the risk, let me know.

The hisory i noticed three itchy white welts on my arm two weeks ago soon after sitting in my car after about 20 minutes of shopping and holding clothes on the same arm as the welts were. I normally bag up anything I buy as a precaution but for some reason I didn't this time. My backpack is always on my passenger seat. The shopping bag was left unclosed for a few hours, but I believe during that time i had taken my backpack with me. When I came back I knotted the bag per my usual precautions until I could place it in the freezer (my washer is not always free). The backpack spent a night on my entryway table and I took it out again per usual where it did not linger in the car. And another night. The next day I was driving in bright sun for about 20 minutes and I saw what looked like an adult male bed bug, because it looked rusty red orange in the sun, walking around on my light colored backpack. I didn't catch him because my tissue came out empty when i reopened it, though i had a jacket underneath that I insepcted quickly and didn't see him there. I parked the car and took the back outside, inspected it, didn't see anything, then inspected the jacket, threw it away, inspected the seat. didn't see anything. I set the backpack down on a chair and sat next to it, about 15 minutes later i saw the bug I caught, it had a partial dark spot in the center, it left a blood mark when I squished it. The backpack was bagged until I got it into a sink, i looked through the contents inside, no bugs. I rebagged it, nothing escaping into the sink, and washed and dried it on hot.

Possible source to me is 1) the clothes from the store I was shopping at - they might have crawled into the seat or around and when my bag was placed on it, explored my backpack which was smelly because it had not been washed for a long time. 2) the cafe I was at the next day.

I read on the forum that bbs take 4 days to find their new home. is this correct? Anyway I did not have any bites at home yet, I live in a very small apartment. If I got them from the store, and the welts i had were from them, would it make sense that they came out to feed two days later? That's a bit early.. but my earlier posts ask if I got them on my backpack from the store they spent two nights on my entry way table-- I was wondering if they would have moved from the bag if they had eaten and I had left the bag relatively undisturbed.

I have steamed the car - felt a rash the same day. Traps put out today. But at the same time, I am putting my clothes after driving in a large ziploc (reopening it to put in the next day's clothes). Shoes I am stepping into a shoe tray I've taped up the sides and spray with alcohol. Very paranoid about shoes. I leave them in the pan to soak in the alcohol.

7. mysterybite1

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 5 2017 5:24:47
    #

Login to Send PM

so, I think I can go ahead and show a PCO this thing but since i am so paranoid about bringing them into the house, I have been wanting to use a pest strip in the car even though it is colder now in the winter and may take slower. Ive contacted a heat treatment company several times and they won't return my calls, even though I said I had a sample.

I am thinking to either 1) steam it again up to 10 days after the first time I did it, and then spray some non-repellant residual spray (not sure if I can get it shipped in time to do right after the steam) and or 2) find a space (do people rent storage facilties?) and place a pest strip inside.

8. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 5 2017 20:48:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Very paranoid about shoes. I leave them in the pan to soak in the alcohol.

Careful you don't set your place on fire. Alcohol is highly flammable.

2) find a space (do people rent storage facilties?) and place a pest strip inside.

I wouldn't use pest strips in a premise that I wasn't monitoring myself. Organophosphates are serious stuff. I used them on some of my stuff but I followed the label and my belongings were sealed air tight and at my place. I wouldn't dream of risking the health of the storage facility's staff.

9. mysterybite1

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 5 2017 22:18:21
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 1 hour ago  » 

Very paranoid about shoes. I leave them in the pan to soak in the alcohol.

Careful you don't set your place on fire. Alcohol is highly flammable.
    2) find a space (do people rent storage facilties?) and place a pest strip inside.

I wouldn't use pest strips in a premise that I wasn't monitoring myself. Organophosphates are serious stuff. I used them on some of my stuff but I followed the label and my belongings were sealed air tight and at my place. I wouldn't dream of risking the health of the storage facility's staff.

yes, i soak them to make sure I've gotten all of the surface area of the shoe. This could be changed if i knew as i asked in my other thread how effective a thorough, negative inspection was.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,669 posts in 43,300 topics over 130 months by 18,985 of 19,564 members. Latest: BBRuth, nonono, Cleothecat