Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Spread to other rooms?? Husband won't listen!!

(10 posts)
  1. PANewBugger

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 14 2010 9:54:50
    #

Login to Send PM

ERGH...I'm so frustrated. My husband will not listen to me. He's convinced that we're in the clear of bed bugs (we still get random bites, recently I have found dead nymphs, and last night, found 2 new blood spots on a pillow...I know that the blood spots, which appeared to be fresh blood, isn't entirely reliable but based upon other things still going on, think we should still be extremely cautious). Clearly, he's in complete denial and he is pretty ignorant about how bed bugs spread. I've been doing all the research and taking control of our treatments, cleaning, etc.

Anyway, like many others, his work is stressful and requires long hours. Next week, he has a series of high level executive meetings that will start extremely early in the morning. He is pretty insistent that he'll get better sleep if he slept in another room (I have insomnia, which has gotten worse since we discovered bed bugs - I admit that I do wake up him, accidently, throughout the night). He won't listen to me on this - yes, he might get better sleep, but he'll spread the bed bugs to another room!

My question is - how long does it usually take for bed bugs to spread from one room to another? And when they spread, do they usually cross through the walls, or will they walk down the hallway to the other rooms?? Our problem has been confined to the master bedroom (in the beginning was in the couch but that stopped after treatments started and we stopped falling asleep there). If he sleeps in another room, won't we have to bag up everything in there (not many items left but there are a few books, files, etc.), move everything way from walls, etc.??

I'm so frustrated.

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 14 2010 10:32:51
    #

Login to Send PM

If you're still getting bed bug bites (as opposed to bites from something else or flare ups of old bites--I don't want it to sound like I'm saying that you don't have bites, I'm just pointing out that it's possible you don't, and sadly, I don't recall the details of your story.), as long as one human in is in the bedroom to feed the bugs, they shouldn't spread.

I can't say anything with certainty, but I did often fall asleep on the futon in the living room (near the television) before I went into the bedroom to sleep for the night when I had bed bugs but didn't know it, since I have insomnia, when sleeping in the bedroom didn't work, I would often use the television to make myself sleepy, and sometimes I'd miscalculate how sleepy I was and fall asleep there.

As far as I can tell, the bugs didn't spread to the living room.

i suspect it's because I generally did go back to the bedroom (right around feeding time, how polite of me!), my cat was in there too (when I wasn't), and my bed bugs were perfectly content not to go too far from teh bed.

Moving to another room is a problem if everyone who sleeps there does it, as near as I can tell. We have heard cases of people moving one person and leaving another behind when one person has a severe allergy. Maybe it's not as ideal as keeping everyone in place, and I'd wait to hear from the pros to be sure, but my understanding what from I've read here is that so long as bait stays in place, one person can move. (After all, when parents have an infestation but kids don't, they don't bring the kids into the bed too to keep the kids' bedrooms free, right?)

3. Jenn28

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 14 2010 10:57:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah yes, husbands that don't listen. I have one of those. They don't know the first thing about bb because they haven't been pouring over the internet for hours like we have and then they give you the "don't worry" attitude. Ugh!! Buggyinsocal is right though, if one person remains sleeping in the infested bed to feed them, they shouldn't spread.

4. PANewBugger

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 14 2010 15:30:09
    #

Login to Send PM

THANK YOU!!! I will trust the advice that I receive here - without it, who knows where we'd be in our war against bed bugs. I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown thinking that they would spread if he slept in another room.

5. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 14 2010 16:15:04
    #

Login to Send PM

(this is exactly why, if we make a mistake and marry a person of the male persuasion, then we ought to have a window of opportunity to .....exterminate ....without any legal repercusions)

6. Richard56

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 14 2010 18:22:52
    #

Login to Send PM

ERGH...I'm so frustrated. My husband will not listen to me. He's convinced that we're in the clear of bed bugs (we still get random bites, recently I have found dead nymphs, and last night, found 2 new blood spots on a pillow
    --------------------
    Have you had the dead nymphs identified by an entomologist? If not, there's a very good possibility they're not bed bug nymphs and given lack of other conclusive evidence, I'd say your husband may just be right. There was a recent thread asking PCO's how many times do they get calls from people who think they have bed bugs and then find out on inspection there are no bed bugs. Turns out that the majority of the time there are no bed bugs.

As to the bites, from everything I've read, no one can definitively differentiate a bed bug bite from other insect bites or even a number of skin conditions. Not only can bed bug bites mimic other insect bites (or skin conditions) but that a bed bug bite can look very different from one person to the next.

Have you brought in a dog team or PCO for inspection or tried active or passive monitors. If not, you're potentially wasting an enormous amount of time, money and expense dealing with a problem that you may not have. This is from personal experience

Richard

7. SearchandDestroy

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 15 2010 0:09:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi PANewBugger,
    Ahhh yes, the frustrations of keeping everyone in a controlled environment. I go thru this everyday and feel terrible about it. It's amazing that these bugs have taken over our lives like this but alas I understand your anxiety. I am in the same boat.

I truly hope the bugs don't spread, but if they do..then you know exactly what to do. At least we are armed with knowledge..thanks to this forum.

I am praying that I haven't spread them to my office. But if I have..then it's tub everything up, inspect, vacuum, spray.

Eventually we will all have our lives back and be able to just relax with life. We deserve that much.

Please sleep well tonight, we will get thru this.

8. bbugophobic

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 15 2010 6:01:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Well at least my husband isn't the only one who won't listen. What is that about anyway?

Jenn28, I agree that, at least in my case, I'm the one doing all the research and really running point on this whole project. I spend hours poring over every bit on relevant information that I can find, but when it's time for action, my husband participates reluctantly at best. It took an inspection from Killer Queen (thanks Queen!!) before he actually believed that we had them.

PANewBugger, I suggest that you trust your instincts on this. When I first suspected bedbugs, no one believed me because I hadn't actually seen a bug (still haven't!). I DID however see fresh blood stains on the sheets, apparent bites on me, and what I believed to be a fecal stain on my pillow encasement one morning. This prompted my call to KQ. I had already been on high alert for bedbugs because of our impending move to NYC. Beds were already encased, regular inspections, special precautions taken during the move, etc. It's because of this vigilance, despite everyone's assurances that we didn't have bedbugs, that we caught this infestation early.

Best of luck to you.

9. PANewBugger

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 15 2010 8:47:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Same for me - I'm the one who has put in hours and hours of research in this. I had my suspicions when this all started, and when I first found the blood spots on our sheets, I had the PCO come in and do search of the bedroom. He found a dead bed bug in the box spring, and during our prep process, I found 3 live ones in the bedroom closet. At first, my husband was like "it's just a bug, what's the big deal" and that drove me nuts! I do hope that he understands that we're still not in the clear. I've ordered climb ups for the bed to help us determine if we still have them, and I have no plans of unpacking anything for several months. Good luck to all of us!!!

10. bugnut

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 15 2010 8:54:19
    #

Login to Send PM

PA -

the climb ups will help - maybe a beacon or a passive too. They are damn hard to find sometimes.

I too have a hubby in denial. We are in good shape after 2 months (don't want to jinx it) but I had a tough time convinicing him initially, and he STILL did not believe it until I produced a dead nymph. We were lucky in some respects as I caught it early.

Good luck to you - you sound like you are in the home stretch!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,124 posts in 28,293 topics over 87 months by 12,191 of 19,346 members. Latest: falc, falc2, jazzychazzy
Site Meter