Sprayway-Good Night product

(38 posts)
  1. jennifer09

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 17 2007 21:47:11
    #

Login to Send PM

hi,
    anyone know if Sprayway-Good Night kills these creatures? I used this spray stuff on my bags and shoes and put them in sealed plastic bags. Haven't touched them for a week. It contains: 3-phenoxtbenzyl cyclopropanecarbonxylate AND N-Octyl bicycloheptene dicarboximide. Anybody know?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 17 2007 22:11:49
    #

Login to Send PM

There is no data on effectiveness for this product, and to be honest, I have not heard anything positive about it.

The Material Safety Data Sheet is here.

The MSDS specifies it's a dust mite killer.

This is a prior discussion on the same topic:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/991?replies=3

If you want a contact killer, there are some that our readers recommend on the Useful Stuff page (click yellow "shop for useful stuff" button below).

But I warn you: contact killers will not get rid of your bed bug problems. They can be a useful supplement to having a professional treat your home, but they only kill bugs you spray directly.

You should also be aware that spraying and bagging something while wet (whether it's bagging a sprayed mattress or a shoe) may allow mold or mildew to grow, and this can mess with your health even more than bed bugs. Make sure things are dry before bagging. Hope that helps.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. stcjim

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Mar 29 2008 21:23:19
    #

Login to Send PM

i used this Good night in my hotel and it really works. I dont think you can have a product registered by the epa unless they confirm the workings.
    anyways I have been using it for almost a year now after the initial outbreak and they have never returned

4. bugbasher

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 30 2008 9:22:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Stcjim,
    The EPA stands for envirmental protection agency and that is exactly what this agency verifies.They make sure that you won't harm yourself or the envirment if said product is used according to label directions.They DO NOT gaurantee any products effectiveness.I think that it may be the consumer protection agency's department to verify claims of effectiveness.

5. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 31 2008 12:53:48
    #

Login to Send PM

The only thing that I know about this product is that it appears to be flying off the shelves at Home Depot and they have changed the design of the can.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 31 2008 18:00:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Which of course does not testify to its effectiveness.
    It just means people think they have bed bugs and are trying to self-treat.

7. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 31 2008 21:59:30
    #

Login to Send PM

This is true. Personally my gut feeling is that it may not be an effective product.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Apr 1 2008 23:38:56
    #

Login to Send PM

My hunch is similar, Dan.

9. greg

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri May 16 2008 4:42:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't say with scientific certainty how effective Sprayway is, but it's worth noting that Penn State's bedbug information site (http://www.ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/bed_bugs.htm) claims that Bedlam-brand insecticide is effective, due to Phenothrin (which also goes by the chemical name 3-Phenoxybenzyl cyclopropanecarboxylate). Both Bedlam and Sprayway have the same active ingredients in the same proportions: 0.40% 3-Phenoxybenzyl cyclopropanecarboxylate, and 1.60% N-Octyl bicycloheptene dicarboximide. So Sprayway seems to be the same basic kind of product as Bedlam, if Bedlam is indeed effective. Which I guess it is? My PCO recommended it.

Regarding the effectiveness of the chemical, here's Penn State's site:

"Bedlam® has been shown to have ovicidal properties with up to 90 percent of bed bug eggs not hatching. Both materials have excellent contact kill and demonstrate residual activity for up to seven days."

From what I can tell from comapring the active ingredients on the labels, Sprayway is just Bedlam in more consumer-friendly packaging -- white and lavender label with a housewife logo on it, rather than SCARY BLACK AND RED WITH A TARGET LOGO.

10. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri May 16 2008 10:52:10
    #

Login to Send PM

http://www.spraywayretail.com/

If any professional would like to help us out and review this site and comment it would be appreciated.

11. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri May 16 2008 11:55:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I would love to hear from some one on this as well...
    But I must say, that advertisement is a joke! I had to laugh as the woman takes the clothes out of the suitcase, places the stuff on what gave me the impression of a BED and then sprays the suitcase! Opps! Too Late! I guess she'll just have to buy more cans of that stuff now! lol

12. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri May 16 2008 12:16:04
    #

Login to Send PM

In a quick review of the product it seems quite similar to bedlam and yes the graphic is how can I put this ??

13. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri May 16 2008 15:27:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I like the graphic, she looks so happy.

14. angie

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri May 16 2008 15:52:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, so happy to be spraying the bed for bedbugs as she is flipping the sheets all over the place. Does it work on the curtains and lampshades as well? Sounds to good!

15. Robb

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat May 17 2008 15:10:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been using Bedlam and it seems to be very effective. Only bug i have seen is a dead one. No live nyphs either. It kills everything. I've been finding other kinds of dead bugs as well including these strange looking tiny spider like creature. I wonder if they will start putting these two products in the the stores soon.

16. prayforamiracle

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat May 17 2008 16:03:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedlam and this product?
    You spray it, let it dry.
    It's safe to just sleep on and for your pet?

17. bugbiteblues

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat May 24 2008 21:53:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I bought sprayaway to use while awaiting PCO..(they are so busy w/bedbug infestations,i have to wait a week) my place is in an uproar and i haven't a clue whether it works.. i have sprayed randomly in the almost empty closet.. but worry about the cat and then have read that self-treat just chases the bugs into new hiding places.. oh this is so bad.

18. bugbiteblues

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat May 24 2008 21:54:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I bought sprayaway to use while awaiting PCO..(they are so busy w/bedbug infestations,i have to wait a week) my place is in an uproar and i haven't a clue whether it works.. i have sprayed randomly in the almost empty closet.. but worry about the cat and then have read that self-treat just chases the bugs into new hiding places.. oh this is so bad.

19. prayforamiracle

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun May 25 2008 12:02:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks to me Bedlam is moe exspensive but stronger chemicals or less propane in the can.

bedlam is 17.00 dollars for a 17 oz can . free shipping
    http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/bedlam-insecticide-p-269.html
    ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
    3-phenoxybenzyl-(1RS,3RS,1RS<3RS)-2,
    2-dimethyl-3-(2-methylprop-1-enyl) cyclopropanecarboxylate................................................0.40%
    *N-Octyl bicycloheptene dicarboximide................................................................................1.60%
    OTHER INGREDIENTS........................................................................................................98.00%
    100.00%
    *MGK®264,Insecticide Synergist

Spayaway is 7:00 for 20 oz can.
    http://www.spraywayretail.com/
    Chemical Names CAS # SARA ACGIH OSHA % By Wt.
    SEC 313 TLV-TWA/STEL PEL-TWA/STEL
    Petroleum Distillate 64742-47-8 No NE/NE NE/NE 1-10
    N-Octyl Bicycloheptene
    Dicarboximide 113-48-4 No None/None None/None 1-5
    Liquefied petroleum gas mixture 68476-86-8 No See below Ingredient data 5-15
    Propane 74-98-6 No 2500 ppm/NE 1000 ppm/NE 48-55
    n-Butane 106-97-8 No 800 ppm/NE NE/NE 45-49
    Isobutane 75-28-5 No NE/NE NE/NE 0.5-2.0

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2008 14:45:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Although the label mentions bed bugs, the Sprayway Good Night MSDS specifies it is a "dust mite killer."
    http://spraywayretail.com/?display=msds

I wonder whether they need to have the MSDS updated.

21. BKbugHate

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 2 2008 1:08:16
    #

Login to Send PM

My roommate had an infestation--and using this product is actually how we confirmed it. She was getting occasional bites, bought the Sprayway stuff at Home Depot and sprayed her bed. A few hours later we found dead bugs where she sprayed. The employees at Home Depot told her that people have been praising its effectiveness.

I'm not sure that you could use this to completely take care of a real infestation (we had a PCO come--four visits; our landlord was uncharacteristically great about it). But the stuff seems at least useful for diagnosing if you have them. It does indeed kill them, though I doubt it kills ALL of them.

We've been bug free for a while. Sprayway suggests spraying your bed every time you change your sheets and we both do that now. Maybe its overly cautious, but I feel you can never be too safe. And I'd rather sleep in the chemicals than with the bugs.

22. tp123

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 2 2008 2:41:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I went to home depot last week and saw it there, it was the last bottle so i bought it. It does have the same stuff in it as bedlam.

I had one treatment so far a month ago, and also using the hot shot spray. The sprayway i only used on the carpet near my computer.

Since the first treatment i haven't seen any bugs yet anyway, so i'm not sure which have done the trick, but i will keep them both in my arsenal of weapons

23. BeeBee

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 2 2008 4:04:07
    #

Login to Send PM

According to the bottle of Sprayway I have right next to me it's EXACTLY the same as Bedlam. Here are Bedlam stats:

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
    3-phenoxybenzyl-(1RS,3RS,1RS<3RS)-2,
    2-dimethyl-3-(2-methylprop-1-enyl) cyclopropanecarboxylate................................................0.40%
    *N-Octyl bicycloheptene dicarboximide.................................................................. 1.60%
    OTHER INGREDIENTS......................................................................98.00%

Here is Sprayway:
    3-phenoxybenzyl-(1RS, 3RS; 1 RS, 3RS) 2-2dimethyl-3-(2-methylprpo-1-enyl) cyclopropanecarboxylate: ....................................................... .40%
    N-Octyl bicycloheptene dicarboximide............................................ 1.60%
    Other ingredients: 98.00%

Plus it's under $7 at Home Depot.

24. bbbitten

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 2 2008 8:38:49
    #

Login to Send PM

People are spraying this stuff on their mattresses? Does anyone know if this stuff is toxic. Will you be killing bed bugs and yourself at the same time?

25. onemadrssn

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 2 2008 11:29:19
    #

Login to Send PM

according to the MSDS its safe for skin and eye contract, citing only the possibility of irritation.

people are saying very mixed things about this product.

is it a contact killer? then why spray your mattress 'just in case'?

26. death2allbbs

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Sep 3 2008 23:47:17
    #

Login to Send PM

onemadrssn - 1 day ago  » 
    according to the MSDS its safe for skin and eye contract, citing only the possibility of irritation.
    people are saying very mixed things about this product.
    is it a contact killer? then why spray your mattress 'just in case'?

Perhaps, Nobugsonme is right about Sprayaway's site needing to have the MSDS updated because the can that I am holding says that this product is "Harmful if absorbed through skin" and to "Avoid contact with eyes, skin or clothing." However, from what has been explained to me by the people at Home Depot is that after this product has thoroughly dried on the furniture that it was sprayed on(e.g. sofas, mattresses, etc.), it then will be safe for humans to come into contact with that furnitue, even though the furniture is now lethal to bedbugs.

27. jmastersherm

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 4 2008 1:33:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I just bought a couple cans at a Home epot here in Chicago. I tried to others and they were sold out. They're flying off the shelves here too and the people at Home Depot feel it's effective. I'll follow-up later, but so far I haven't seen a live one tonight.

28. onemadrssn

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 4 2008 9:28:02
    #

Login to Send PM

this product works, but not well. i had to spray an adult bb twice, strait on, before it finally died. it remained active and moving immediately after being sprayed. this product is not effective in my opinion, you will have better success with just squishing each one individually.

29. tp123

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 4 2008 10:00:11
    #

Login to Send PM

That doesn't mean its not effective the residue is suppose to work for a week or so. I once saw a pco spray a bug directly with his chemical and it kept walking a while

30. livinginahorrorfilm

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 8 2008 20:20:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know is Sprayway is available at Canadian Home Depots? Regardless of the speculation - I do now that stress and lack of sleep are some of the worst things for your health and wellbeing.

Also, does anyone know where to buy the alcohol in large quantaties?

31. tinyvampire

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Nov 21 2009 12:44:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, all:

Sorry to open up this old thread, but I'm looking for more recent comments/thoughts on the efficacy of Sprayway Goodnight (in lieu of Bedlam).

We've had three treatments now (by a PCO who used Suspend) on our baseboards, furniture and floors. Our last treatment was on November 6. I've had several bites in between each treatment. My husband isn't sensitive, so he's not sure if he's been bitten since the treatments. We're sticking with the bagging protocol and slowly Packtiting all of our belongings that can't go into the dryer (a rather time consuming process!). Hopefully we'll be in the clear by January.

I'm sleeping on a tiny folding Ikea bed, and my husband is on the couch (since we took our bed to the landfill a while ago). Both were treated three times by the PCO, but I'm pretty sure I'm still being bitten in both places, so I've sprayed both my mattress and the couch with Sprayway in between the last two treatments, and since the last treatment. I don't trust that couch. Though I haven't seen live bugs in it (and the PCO cleared it), there seems to be an increase in little red blotches on the underside of the cushions.

The bites I've been getting since the third treatment have been on my face or neck (the rest of my body is totally covered when I sleep or walk around our place), which I'm guessing is because I've been bitten on the couch when I've laid there, or maybe there are stray rogues hanging out in our piles of books on the floor (which are waiting there to be Packtited) that made it into my bedframe before I put the Climbups down there. But there's residual on the bed frame, couch and floor...hopefully any living bugs won't last long?

OK, I'm straying way off-topic here. All of this said, since I'm totally broke (after the very expensive PCO treatment and all of the purchases of other stuff for the arsenal...you all know, I don't have to list them all), I went with Sprayway instead of Bedlam (though I did go through one can of Bedlam), since it's a fraction of the cost of Bedlam.

Are people finding now that Sprayway is working for them? Does it also kill eggs, and have an effective residual like Bedlam? Or am I just spraying a toxic contact killer?

Thank you,
    -Tinyvampire

32. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Nov 21 2009 22:03:21
    #

Login to Send PM

FYI. Seems same formula is also being marketed by Arm & Hammer as "Pronto".

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  33. jasmine311

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Nov 21 2009 23:00:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I haven't used the rest, but I'm on my fifth can of Bedlam. It works well but I don't think the residual lasts a week--more like four or five days. It comes to your house in a very indiscreet box that blaringly says "Bedbug Spray" in big letters. Then it sits outside your door for all the neighbors to see till you get home from work.

But I have to say I'd be lost without it. I don't spray the top of my airbed with it. I do that with alcohol. But I spray the sides of it with Bedlam every day.

34. bait

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Nov 21 2009 23:09:38
    #

Login to Send PM

It comes to your house in a very indiscreet box that blaringly says "Bedbug Spray" in big letters. ...

That is just plain stupid.

35. noway

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Nov 21 2009 23:26:10
    #

Login to Send PM

That would be worth a request to the company for a "plain brown wrapper."

36. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 22 2009 0:37:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd love the box just to annoy people

37. about pest

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 15 2010 14:24:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedlam works well no doubt about it. It is a residual but should last only up to 2 weeks (as advertised). But the general reason on why people choose bedlam bed bug spray is because it can also kill bed bug eggs.

Heres a couple of links I found if you need it.

http://www.acepestcontrolproducts.com/bedlam-bed-bugs-insecticide-spray-2-cans.html

http://www.pestmall.com/bedlam-bed-bugs-spray.html

38. Ellenseagul25

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jul 16 2013 4:03:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Last summer I noticed that I was getting bit but only realizes the bites when I woke up in the morning. My boyfriend at the time, who was living with me wasn't getting the same bites as me. He would get bit occasionally but nothing serious. I began to get paranoid because I had recalled his friend talking about his own ordeal with bedbugs. My bf tried to calm me down and told me it was just Mosquitos. In my gut I knew it wasn't. His friend had spent the night here a couple of times and had brought jackets and book bags here when he came to visit. The bites continued into fall. They weren't an everyday thing. First, i would get bit them wouldn't get another bite for a couple of weeks. But as the seasons changed and time progressed they were more frequent which led me to start looking more into the idea of bedbugs and not Mosquitos. My mom was actually the one that purchased this product for us. Which led me to this site after I googled what it was. That night that I sprayed, we knew for a fact it was bed bugs. I had only sprayed the mattress the night before not really taking my efforts seriously thinking well maybe I won't get bit at least. I woke up with a swollen face. Not from the spray but from a bedbug bite. My bf woke up before me and saw my face. He turned on all of the lights and sat on the couch as we contemplated what to do next. As we sat on the couch (I live in a 400sq ft studio) he actually saw one crawl out of the mattress. My fears were concerned. Since I couldn't go to class that day because of my face, I spent the entire day cleaning and spraying. I had only one can. I sprayed the mattress, the box spring, the couch, the carpet, and the base boards. I literally sprayed everything I could. I washed all my clothes & bed spreads. Vacuumed & shampooed the carpets. I used a mattress cover. One for the mattress and one for the box spring. I cleaned everything with bleach. Even the pictures because I had read that they could hide there. It led to a couple of months of paranoia but it actually worked. That one day of treatment get rid of them. However, my fatal flaw was bagging up some pillows & blankets and leaving them bagged. I didn't get around to washing those in hot water and now I'm thinking that because those bags have ripped, they may have returned. I'm not sure yet. I've been getting bit for the past two nights. I'll be goin to pick up some more tomorrow. I'm definitely not going to wait until my face is swollen again to treat. Just thought I'd share this. However, keep in mind that my success is most likely due to the fact I live in a very small space. I read that many people fail trying to treat the problem themselves because they don't treat every room in their home. When you treat one room they travel to the next. My tips would be:
    •to get rid of as much clutter as possible
    •if you're going to do it yourself, you have to be willing to put in the effort to treat every room THAT DAY.
    •spray every single fabric & wood item because that's where they hide
    •bag everything you can and make sure you keep track of what's been washed and what hasn't
    (I literally put my coffee table in 2 industrial sized trash bags & taped it up to prevent them from trying to hide there after I had wiped it down)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.