Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Something to ease your itching & bites

(6 posts)
  1. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 19 2007 20:16:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry to keep posting over and over. I'm sure your all aware that benadryl will help. My doctor wrote out a prescription for Clariton but the co pay on this was $160 so I called them back and they suggested using the over the counter version. I opted for the Walgreen's version (cvs also has one).

It worker better than benadryl and doesn't make you tired or feeling dragged out. Thought this might help some of you out. It takes a couple days but if you keep taking it it reduces the bite marks and itching considerably.

2. angie

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Dec 20 2007 10:19:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not a big fan on medicine of any kind so I opt for the non-toxic remedies and a warm baking soda bath will also soothe the itching. It also works on poison ivy, ect... and chicken pox. If the itching is super bad, a paste made from baking soda and a small amount of water mixed to toothpaste consistancy will help.

3. stamps

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Dec 20 2007 10:32:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd also like to add that I've been experimenting with bite prevention -- had read from a few sources that bedbugs avoid things that smell like lavender or thyme, so I bought some essential oils of both from my local Wild Oats and have been rubbing myself down with them after my pre-bedtime shower.
    So far so good, and they actually make my bites less itchy too (although I think that has more to do with moisturizing my already winter-dry skin and maybe not as much to do with the bites).

4. itchyincharmcity

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Dec 20 2007 13:44:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't take Claritin with alcohol. That's how my friend ended up pregnant. Luckily the father was her husband!

5. WelcometoFlatbush

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Dec 20 2007 13:55:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I always avoided anti-allergic medicine because i had such a low level infestation, i wanted to feel as soon as possible when i was bitten. I think it worked, the last time i was bitten i woke up at two in the morning itching like crazy. it ruined my night sleep, but i immediately stripped the bedding and found the bugger. killed it on the spot. Gave me a small sense of accomplishment.

6. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Dec 20 2007 18:36:45
    #

Login to Send PM

It doesn't help everyone, but for itching I like the over-the-counter anti-itching cortisone gel that folks use for poison ivy. It helps my itching and I have very sensitive skin. The brand I buy is "CortiCool" which you can get at Walgreens and other chains. It is a clear gel, not sticky, and has almost no scent at all. Somehow the ritual of putting a clear gel on my bites calms my mind as well as calming the itching on my skin. I seem to scratch less with the gel on, and that's a good thing because scratching itself makes me itch more.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

200,075 posts in 31,011 topics over 94 months by 13,441 of 20,848 members. Latest: Mellisa, midnightfeast, senses123