Someone who has bedbugs stayed at my house one night

(3 posts)
  1. debgub

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 5 2010 2:12:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a friend who stayed over one night about a month ago. He lives in a house that they just found out has bed bugs. He had been getting bitten, but didn't know what it was until now. What is the likelihood that I have bedbugs? I have no bites - it has been about a month since he stayed over. He slept in a bed in my attic. If I have bed bugs from him, would I have gotten bitten by now? I do not sleep in the bed in the attic. How long would it take for them to migrate to me? I am terrified. It's like your whole house has one big STD that is immune to most treatments. What do I do for now? No bites. I may not have them. He did not bring a suitcase - just the clothes he was wearing. I realize that they can hitch hike on clothes. Just not sure what to do and would like to intervene early if there is a good chance I have them.

2. bugnut

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 5 2010 8:13:57
    #

Login to Send PM

You could have them - but usually a month will bring them out - they like to eat.

I hate to say this, but have you tried sleeping in the attic? Has anyone else? Is it a private house? You could have been bitten an been a non-reactor.

Did this person go somewhere else before he came to your house? Like out to eat? I have heard that they can hitchhike on clothes but it is less likely especially if it is not a large infestation and they are crawling all over the clothes. One of the posters - buggyinsocal - had them for at least a month before she knew and stayed over at friends houses, drover her car etc and she did not spread them (she treated and is now happily bb-free and posts frequently to this site)

You can do a few things. Get a monitor - passive, bedbug beacon and/or climb up interceptors for the legs of your bed. Or you can have a K9 come in and sweep you place. None of these things are 100% and I have used them all, but they will give you a sense of relief. If you do any of the above and wait another 30 days with no signs, you should be OK.

Sorry this is not more positive, but I am trying to be honest.

3. debgub

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 6 2010 12:21:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the reply. I have not slept in the attic - I know I should but I am afraid. I just got a bite last night on my foot near the ankle. It is a very small bite and not very itchy at all. I know this really is no indicator of anything one way or another. I probably would not have noticed it had I not now been scrutinizing everything. I have two other people living in my private home. No one has been bitten. I think it would take awhile for this to happen anyway, but if I do have them, I would like to deal with it now rather than when infestation gets bigger. I have the interceptors - bought them a year when I though I might have them because another friend of mine gto them and I was being bitten by something. It turned not to be bed bugs. Last year I lost 15 pounds over this. I am terrified. I am washing bedding as I write this and I am going to vacuum and wash as much stuff near and around my bed as possible. I already have encasements on mattress and box spring from last year. I am skeptical about the K9's, but maybe I should. Can you recommend anyone that is good? Thanks

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,847 posts in 29,352 topics over 90 months by 12,656 of 19,909 members. Latest: bbgoaway, ollie, konjonashipirate