Someone who has bedbugs stayed at my house one night

(3 posts)
  1. debgub

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 5 2010 2:12:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a friend who stayed over one night about a month ago. He lives in a house that they just found out has bed bugs. He had been getting bitten, but didn't know what it was until now. What is the likelihood that I have bedbugs? I have no bites - it has been about a month since he stayed over. He slept in a bed in my attic. If I have bed bugs from him, would I have gotten bitten by now? I do not sleep in the bed in the attic. How long would it take for them to migrate to me? I am terrified. It's like your whole house has one big STD that is immune to most treatments. What do I do for now? No bites. I may not have them. He did not bring a suitcase - just the clothes he was wearing. I realize that they can hitch hike on clothes. Just not sure what to do and would like to intervene early if there is a good chance I have them.

2. bugnut

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 5 2010 8:13:57
    #

Login to Send PM

You could have them - but usually a month will bring them out - they like to eat.

I hate to say this, but have you tried sleeping in the attic? Has anyone else? Is it a private house? You could have been bitten an been a non-reactor.

Did this person go somewhere else before he came to your house? Like out to eat? I have heard that they can hitchhike on clothes but it is less likely especially if it is not a large infestation and they are crawling all over the clothes. One of the posters - buggyinsocal - had them for at least a month before she knew and stayed over at friends houses, drover her car etc and she did not spread them (she treated and is now happily bb-free and posts frequently to this site)

You can do a few things. Get a monitor - passive, bedbug beacon and/or climb up interceptors for the legs of your bed. Or you can have a K9 come in and sweep you place. None of these things are 100% and I have used them all, but they will give you a sense of relief. If you do any of the above and wait another 30 days with no signs, you should be OK.

Sorry this is not more positive, but I am trying to be honest.

3. debgub

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Sep 6 2010 12:21:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the reply. I have not slept in the attic - I know I should but I am afraid. I just got a bite last night on my foot near the ankle. It is a very small bite and not very itchy at all. I know this really is no indicator of anything one way or another. I probably would not have noticed it had I not now been scrutinizing everything. I have two other people living in my private home. No one has been bitten. I think it would take awhile for this to happen anyway, but if I do have them, I would like to deal with it now rather than when infestation gets bigger. I have the interceptors - bought them a year when I though I might have them because another friend of mine gto them and I was being bitten by something. It turned not to be bed bugs. Last year I lost 15 pounds over this. I am terrified. I am washing bedding as I write this and I am going to vacuum and wash as much stuff near and around my bed as possible. I already have encasements on mattress and box spring from last year. I am skeptical about the K9's, but maybe I should. Can you recommend anyone that is good? Thanks

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.