Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Someone please help me calm down

(9 posts)
  1. soscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 23 2011 8:39:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I was just thinking back to last year, when my baby was right around one and crawling, and we went through the chemical assault to kill possibly non-existent bed bugs. The PCO assured me the chemicals were fine once dried after a couple of hours. Yet, another PCO would not bring a dog to my house for a couple of weeks. The chemicals were Gentrol/Demand/Onslaught, etc, all the typical ones. My house was doused. They doused the floors, the furniture. Even the baby's crib was sprayed, but not her mattress. This happened 6 times before I decided it was time to stop, before I learned I shouldn't have had that done in the first place without seeing evidence.

Can someone please reassure me that my daughter will be fine? Please tell me these chemicals will not harm her in the long run through long term absorption/inhalation, whatever. I cleaned the visible ones off the surfaces accessible to her, but as I said, we were SWIMMING in them.

Thank you. I am just so depressed over this.

2. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 23 2011 9:36:56
    #

Login to Send PM

None of the insecticides that are actually in use lasts more than 3-4 weeks....

3. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 23 2011 10:05:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Soscared,

There is more than one reason for a K9 team waiting for a period of time after treatment... Don;t let that be the basis for your anxiety.

There is no reason to perform a clearance inspection before the products have had time to do their job... Many products take a couple of weeks to produce results.

Chemical exposure isn't the only issue.

4. soscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 23 2011 13:46:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the reassurance. Does a continuous low-level exposure through inhalation do any damage? I've read the MSDS sheets over and over, they all say no. But then I google "pyrethrins" and toxicity, and scary results come up. if the chemicals last 3-4 weeks, and we were sprayed from mid October through early january, that's months of exposure! Regrets!!!

5. soscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 24 2011 11:51:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know the answer to my question about continuous exposure through inhalation? I feel so sad that I let this happen.

6. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 24 2011 12:24:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry I don't know the answer, but have you spoken to a pediatrician? Granted, they might not have the answer, but he/she can probably assuage any fears you have, suggest tests to check for any possible exposure, or recommend an expert such as a toxicologist for you to speak to.

As a hypochondriac myself, I can give you this advice: Stop with the Google. You are going to find all sorts of different answers from every walk of life, and none of them are going to make you feel any better.

7. heritchyness

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 24 2011 23:22:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I am in your same position, I have a 16 month old and I have tried doing it the no-chemical way, but the problem is getting worse. I don't think you should second guess what you did, as much as I know that is easier said than done. What would your alternative have been? I know we cannot afford to do a heat treatment, and using steam and DE, and all the other methods do seem to help, but won't get every last one. I started hyperventilating last night as I nursed my daughter to sleep knowing that the bugs were going to be preying on her in her sleep. Tonight I steamed her crib and room again, inspected everything, re-dusted the climb-ups, and set a trap under her crib. I know they could still get to her! And that's just her room for one night- the rest of the house who knows how many bugs are in here.
    I can't wait until I can get a PCO in here to spray. I know it's not healthy, but the psychological torture of blood suckers feeding on your little one at night isn't either. It takes a huge toll. Please be gentle with yourself! Think of all the healthy things you do for her. Feed her well, as much organic as possible, give her fresh air to run in, love her, she will be ok.

8. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 24 2011 23:27:20
    #

Login to Send PM

What the above poster said sounds like really good advice.

9. soscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 1 2011 15:59:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, heritchiness and Ravensfan. I am trying not to think about it. That helps.
    Isn't this THE WORST with a toddler, heritchiness?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,970 posts in 29,378 topics over 90 months by 12,671 of 19,927 members. Latest: TheGG, melqtpie, whataretheodds