Social Workers worst nightmare come true and I can't sleep

(22 posts)
  1. Exhaustedsocialworker

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Nov 7 2017 4:35:08
    #

Login to Send PM

So... I am so tired and can't sleep...I didn't even want to come home today and have literally eaten close to nothing and I like to eat... I'm just sick to my stomach... and that's from finding one adult bb that hadn't fed yet... No previous bites that I'm aware and haven't seen one before... Well, I just found another tiny one tonight (on my fitted sheet) like miniscule but this one was dead from the dryer... Both were immediately put in the freezer encased within 4 Ziploc bags one inside the other.... I keep checking to make sure it's still in there, logically I know it is because it's well container and frozen, I think I'm losing it... ( I saw it on my clean sheets and thought that I forgot to clean them in my panic yesterday ( I literally threw everything in the bed away... Trash bagged it up and tossed it... So, I then realized I HAD put them in the dryer only, because they were washed already... They (the sheets) were in my guest bedroom AND so was the comforter I grabbed... so I'm wondering if they are actually there... Needless to say they were washing again before I realized it so here I am up at 330AM just wanting to lay down on my bed and cry but I'm afraid to and not comfortable with that... Every time my hair tickles my arm I freak, and periodically I wake up and lift the sheets and shine my phone flashlight under to see if I see any... And I can't sleep! I called my landlord today and he was pissed so that was fun... Though he did call back and apologize after one of the companies must have told him he was lucky I phoned right away instead of waiting...I can't talk about it without crying so he got to experience that too... I am telling work tomorrow yay... Though they could have come from there.... See below for the horrifying moment I found the bb... so I am a social worker and have been for 5 years... I have been terrified of getting bb for years... My agency takes donations and we do home visits for multiple reasons... Well, I woke up Sunday morning planning on putting up my Christmas tree... So Daylights savings time and "falling back" I was awake earlier than I wanted to be... So I laid back down to look at Facebook on my phone... My back has been hurting so I had a twin comforter folded up for about a week under my hips... Well I hadn't put my glasses on yet and it was grey out so not really bright... Well I saw something black scoring across the comforter my butt had been on previously... Fortunately I had a Ziploc that had a travel tooth brush in it handy so I grabbed the ziplock turned it inside out all while keeping an eye on the roaming bug... Sure enough the minute I looked at it I knew it was my worst nightmare... We touch on them a bit when we train foster parents and I had printed the life cycle so I knew...

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Nov 7 2017 10:02:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Spam filter ate the post, hold on...

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Nov 7 2017 23:35:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Exhaustedsocialworker,

Sorry your post went into the spam filter. (Thanks, Big Dummy, for holding its place!)

Your job involves supporting other people and helping other people and now is a time when you need to be kind to yourself and take care of yourself and maybe even get some extra support from others for a bit.

This thing happened, it is a hassle, but you can and will get through it. After the initial jerky reaction, it sounds like your landlord may be getting good professional advice. So far so good.

Try to be as rational as you can about this. As for the bites, try to think of bed bugs as mosquitos that crawl instead of flying. (And without the diseases mosquitos carry.)

As for treatment, they can be eliminated. You can get through this. You can take steps to avoid bringing them in again. (Pest pros do that with a pretty good track record.)

Please get emotional support from friends/family/a therapist and make sure you are eating and sleeping properly. Take a deep breath. You can get through this.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Exhaustedsocialworker

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Nov 8 2017 0:21:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys... so what success habe you seen with bedbug detecting dogs?
    I told the director at work today that I found one at home, which of course she understood and listened to my rambling while I was close to tears. She said she would let the office know after my apt. Inspection on Thursday to be sure that's what I had found. I asked that they run a bed bug detecting dog through our office building. With all the donations we get and families that come in for services i think it would be well worth it! our receptionist was sorting through donated stuffed animals today and I just cringed! I've been changing clothes in my guest bathtub when I get home from work which is about 3 steps on the carpet from my linoleum entry way... wish I had more than a carport because is be changing out there daily! I told my office mate as we are in a small office together and she was sweet and encouraging. I actual told her I trying to think of them as mosquitos without wings... but I don't care for mosquitos either! Lol... she helped me try to laugh at my neurotic spraying of 91 proof rubbing alcohol on my dark blue fabric office chair and constant checking of itches that don't exist... I'm so sleepy tonight I'm hoping i'll do a little more than doze... of to douse my sheets in alcohol before bed... wish me luck!

5. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Nov 8 2017 16:06:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I heard bug detecting dogs vary between 90-97% effectiveness.
    I think it is worth having done.
    The dog handler will usually do a visual inspection too.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
  6. Exhaustedsocialworker

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Nov 8 2017 23:32:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi thirdusername. Thanks for the info. I think i'll do the bedbug dog for sure! Even if the landlord goes with the company with no dogs... I feel like a dog scenting them would be more reliable than some guy looking. I'm going to advocate for the dogs at work for certain! Anyone have advice in regards to heat treatment being better or chemical? The landlord wants to go with the cheapest I think... I don't know if I have the money to pay the difference to get him to go for the heat as I've heard the chemicals tend to just push the Bugs into the walls rather than eradicating them. :/

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 9 2017 0:11:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Not sure on those effectiveness stats. One team may be reliable and another may not. Even if they were reliable when they were originally trained, it comes down to the individual handler being able to continually enforce training and handle them.

I would ONLY hire a dog team that visually verifies alerts. Without this, you are not going to have any confidence in their “findings”. See our FAQ on bed bug dogs: http://bedbugger.com/2010/03/10/bed-bug-dogs-what-you-need-to-know/amp/

8. Exhaustedsocialworker

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 9 2017 0:30:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmm.. I guess I assumed that when the dog alerted they (the humans) then checked the spot visually as well...i never thought of them not doing that... good tip to be suree they do that... the company in our area according to reviews anyway, also baits their dogs to ensure they are actually working as well... does being licensed by the department of agriculture mean anything special or are most pest companies licensed by them?

9. Exhaustedsocialworker

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 9 2017 23:10:18
    #

Login to Send PM

So, exterminator came out today... yup, I have bedbugs... they checked the other 3 units and apparently the old man downstairs had had them long enough that they moved in with me... he was trying to treat them himself... so... my landlord feels bad for him so isn't going to make him leave, bite is he charging him for the treatment, though he sure was planning on charging me... now I'm having to put out money for bed bug proof tubs to pack my stuff in... I have antique furniture full of cracks and crevices, I'm going to have to take off work in order to prepare my apartment anks still try and sleep in a bed that i know is infested... my mattresses appear to not be though the inspector didn't even flip it over... he didn't look at anything else, only the bed, no drawers not my sofas, nothing... does anyone know if I have the right to demand to be put up in a hotel for the duration of the 4 wk chemical treatment once/as I prepare my unit? I have doubts that the man downstairs will tell anyone if they come back.... the other 2 ladies in the non infested units, who are hoarders so I doubt he checked anything but the bed or could...have already said they don't want to deal with the landlord typically so I'm doubting they will say if they get them..... I'm so angry... not that the man got them but that he didn't tell someone! ...

10. Exhaustedsocialworker

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Nov 10 2017 16:39:52
    #

Login to Send PM

So this still sucks... the first company came out and the guy only looked at my bed in the master thoroughly and glanced at the bed in my guest room and looked at my sofa from literally 5 feet away... like at least flip a cushion over... he also miss identified a bug... I caught a carpet beetle larvae along with my other new roommates... he said it was a bed bug! Just in a different stage... now, I've looked at lots of bed big lifecycle charts... it's not even cloudy to looking like a bed bug egg even! I confirmed myID of the big with my cousin who is am entomologist... the guy also told the landlord that the heat treatment would ruin the building.... after his own research and having me do a bit we are getting heat treatment instead of the chemical, apparently we don't have to pack and wash and move everything fabric with the heat treatment... the man said he feels leaning out is best so as not to disturb and relocate them..the company uses steam treatment and also heats the units up.. . I was trying to get the landlord to go with a bigger company that could heat the ENTIRE building (or at least out 2 units,
    all at once but that's not happening... he went with the smaller company i found when i called in a panic for advice the day i found the bug... it is local and the man was really nice and helpful, he's BBB approved, and certified through the dept, of agriculture (which all big guys might be) .. it makes me nervous that he can only heat one apartment at a time... i have a bad feeling it will become a game of chase the bedbug from apartment to apartment.... any thoughts or hopefully encouragement?

11. shinydarkvoid

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Nov 10 2017 17:13:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Exhaustedsocialworker - 21 minutes ago  » 
    he went with the smaller company i found when i called in a panic for advice the day i found the bug... it is local and the man was really nice and helpful, he's BBB approved, and certified through the dept, of agriculture (which all big guys might be) .. it makes me nervous that he can only heat one apartment at a time... i have a bad feeling it will become a game of chase the bedbug from apartment to apartment.... any thoughts or hopefully encouragement?

Well, at least you're getting treatment of some type, it's literally better than nothing in this situation! I live in an apartment complex and know how you feel. Do what you can on your end; just keep cleaning, loose clutter, wash and pack clothes and fabrics, etc. Try asking your treatment guy if he recommends doing anyithng to help stop the spread, like DE in sockets or calking baseboards. I think a BB infestation is a hit-or-miss deal but if you jest stay diligent, it might work. If they come back, I would suggest moving, haha. But overall just keep an open mind!

12. Exhaustedsocialworker

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Nov 10 2017 17:57:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! I am glad for sure that they are treating... it'll be almost $600 I'VE spent between tubs for my stuff, lost work hours, packing tape, clear trash bags, sigh... not to mention the stress of all this mess... I'm debating on getting the old guy downstairs to reimburse me since he failed to report the problem... sigh I don't want to be like that on the one hand, but I don't make a lot of money.... asks he should have said something gah!

13. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Nov 10 2017 18:31:15
    #

Login to Send PM

We tried to recoup in whole or in part the money we spent during our first infestation. No luck. In Canada anyway, the landlord has to pay for extermination, but doesn't have to compensate the tenant for any related costs. Check the law in your area but don't get your hopes up.

I'm debating on getting the old guy downstairs to reimburse me
    My feeling is you would have to sue him.

14. Exhaustedsocialworker

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Nov 10 2017 18:56:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi bugged... the landlord pursued treatment immediately when I reporter the infestation and has communicated well.... I am thinking of pursuing some compensation from the downstairs neighbor who started the infestation and did not report it.... therefore it spread upstairs to me... I am pretty certain I would have success... the landlord sms pest worker informed the other 2 tenants and myself, while in the that the bbs came from the gentleman below me so I have witnesses to this fact... the first company verbally stated this but did not write it down. I'm hoping the company tomorrow will do so, so I have documentation.... nite sure if there is argument regarding negligence of fellow tenants in my renters insurance but I'm going to look into that also... sigh

15. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Nov 11 2017 12:01:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Exhaustedsocialworker - 16 hours ago  » 
    therefore it spread upstairs to me... I am pretty certain I would have success.

I'm not a lawyer.
    Do you know what the burden of proof needs to be to get damages?
    It seems to me that none of the statements that you got saying he spread it to you are more than "likely/probably", none are 100% proof.
    Maybe "likely" is good enough to get a positive outcome, I don't know.

16. Exhaustedsocialworker

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Nov 12 2017 19:24:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Actually thirdusername the landlord and the first AND second exterminator informed me that I was not the cause of the infestation but it was the man below. The 2nd be exterminator stated he thought the man may have had them for 3-4 months and the landlord shared that the man knew he had bugs but failed to report and thanked me many times for calling immediately upon my discovery of the big in Mt bed... The problem lies in the fact that I don't know that the neighbor understood the severity and havock bed bugs can cause... The landlord also informed my other 2 neighbors that the infestation started with the unit below me. He has the bigger infestation therefore they have clearly been breeding longer on his apartment unchecked... That's 2 pest control people stating it started In his unit... Don't get me wrong... I'm not mad that he got them not so I think that is a reason to go after any cash. I'm angry he did not inform the landlord he had bugs (of any kind) so the problem could have potentially been contained. I just want the money back for the time I took off work to handle the issue and the storage bins with gaskets... And bed bug covers for my mattresses as good ones are not cheap! Plus I may have spread them to the office which had items we donate to foster homes... Let not to mention my office mates who could also now have been exposed if they got into my computer bag or maybe clothing I wore to work...

17. Exhaustedsocialworker

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Nov 17 2017 0:33:00
    #

Login to Send PM

So, had my heat treatment today... The man ran the heating unit into my apartment at about 2pm said he steamed furniture prior... When I got home at 6 the thermostat couldn't read the temperature in the unit and the floor was still warm, doorknobs etc... Let and came home at about 830 and the thermostat read 84... I'm hopeful! The exterminators did say the mans apartment downstairs was worse than they thought but he thinks he did a good job... Here's hoping! He treated and encased the mattress in my room and put interceptors... However..I have an antique bed that is a wood frame with a Hollywood frame sitting inside it... He only put interceptors on the 4 legs of the wood frame and nothing under the 7 legs of the metal Hollywood bed frame.... Am I crazy in thinking that there should be interceptors on ALL the legs of the bed?

18. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Nov 17 2017 6:49:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Was any chemical such as certain dusts applied? Other apartments treated with dusts at same time of heat treatment to the man's apartment?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  19. Exhaustedsocialworker

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Nov 17 2017 10:13:28
    #

Login to Send PM

He reported steaming items prior to heating downstairs unit. Then while downstairs unit was heating he was steaming in my upstairs unit. Then my unit was heated... I asked about chemicals and he used Transport Ghp, Cimexa and Steri-fab.... There is also a volcano trap with scent lure by my headboard and sofa... I only saw them in my bedroom... Haven't seen any since the few I caught and I have white sheets on the bed... I'm hopeful but was disappointed there weren't interceptors under my Hollywood bedframe... If think they would climb those legs as easily as the wooden ones on my headboard and footboard... It also concerns me that the extermination said the ban below me had a worse infestation than he thought... :/

20. Exhaustedsocialworker

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Nov 17 2017 10:14:01
    #

Login to Send PM

He reported steaming items prior to heating downstairs unit. Then while downstairs unit was heating he was steaming in my upstairs unit. Then my unit was heated... I asked about chemicals and he used Transport Ghp, Cimexa and Steri-fab.... There is also a volcano trap with scent lure by my headboard and sofa... I only saw them in my bedroom... Haven't seen any since the few I caught and I have white sheets on the bed... I'm hopeful but was disappointed there weren't interceptors under my Hollywood bedframe... If think they would climb those legs as easily as the wooden ones on my headboard and footboard... It also concerns me that the extermination said the ban below me had a worse infestation than he thought... :/

21. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Sun Nov 19 2017 20:55:46
    #

Login to Send PM

The man below you was also heat treated?
    Is the PCO coming back to do a followup inspection?

22. Exhaustedsocialworker

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Sun Nov 19 2017 21:42:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes... after thanksgiving he is coming back to check the 3 traps and the pitfalls... I've only seen 1 dead one that in guessing he missed when he vacuumed... I left it lay where it was for him to find... still bit sleeping with the light off lol... I know in reality it doesn't matter if the lights are on or off if they are hungry but it makes me feel better... sigh

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,823 posts in 43,336 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7