(3 posts)
  1. aunore

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 13:22:21
    #

Login to Send PM

First time poster here.

Around December, I noticed I was getting hives every night and thought it was an allergic reaction to our laundry detergent. Fast forward to the end of May, I witnessed a bug crawling on the side of our couch. I caught it in a glass cup and emailed a friend that I knew had struggled with them before in the past. He confirmed that it was a bed bug. I promptly brought the specimen to our landlord and two weeks later, we had our first fumigation.

It is now August and we have been through five fumigations. The last one was two weeks ago. Since then, I have found a live adult bug on the couch two days ago and another adult bug this morning on the side of my pillow. We have moved the bed away from the walls, placed interceptors under the bed and bought new encasements for the mattress. We also vacum and launder as often as we can (which is difficult since laundry is ridiculously expensive in our building).

Shortly after discovering our problem, we found out our neighbor next to us also had bed bugs. From what he told my boyfriend, it seems he also just had his last fumigation. I'm concerned that they're in the other units in our building as well and keep creeping in through the walls. Our landlord seems unwilling to try any other methods besides chemical fumigation (which by this point, they have survived five rounds of it). Our lease isn't up until January and this whole scenario has cost us a small fortune, which really doesn't add to the whole moving situation.

I'm honestly very stressed out by this whole ideal. I get a reaction to the bites, which is very uncomfortable. I had spent the last two weeks bite free until this morning, so I was hopeful that this nightmare was finally over. Now, I'm starting to realize that it might not be until we move out of this building.

Just looking for some support as I literally feel very stressed out over this whole situation.

2. Tim m

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 14:34:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear you are dealing with this but you're not alone. I have been dealing with this for over a month. And this is the second time in 6 years. The building I live in is going to heat treat and spray on the 18th feels like it's years away lol. You should talk to your landlord about heat seeing that they have done 5 treatments of spray and it seems to not be working.

3. Tim m

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 15:20:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Also if other tenants don't follow the check list like remove clutter, wash dry on high heat and so on. it's going to be even harder to treat I'm no expert but I am a parent and I have been hounding my landlord to make sure my neighbor is doing the check list. Because it don't matter how hard I work to be ready for heat if my neighbor slacks/lazy they will just come back.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,674 posts in 42,198 topics over 127 months by 18,524 of 19,017 members. Latest: Tglock, Rae13, Buggybuggy335