Smell they don't love?

(4 posts)
  1. sarabel16

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 7 2010 22:45:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I would like to ask if there is any scent (smell) or perfume or lotion of any type that bed bugs don't like?? For example, if you are wearing olive oil....

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 8 2010 14:35:14
    #

Login to Send PM

The short answer is no.

Imagine that you haven't eaten for 3 days. You're that hungry. But you have to walk through a field that smells like something you don't like to get to the food. That smell might put you off for a short time, but eventually the power of hunger wins out and you cross through the bad smell to get to food, right? Bed bug behavior is pretty much the same.

Repellents not only don't work on bed bugs, trying to use products with repellent powers (like chemical pesticides that repel the bugs) can create bigger problems.

Unlike mosquitos, you don't want to repel bed bugs since one of the aspects of bed bug behavior that makes them a difficult pest to treat is that they are difficult to find to eradicate.

Using anything that might repel the bugs runs the risk of making the infestation spread and become more entrenched and therefore a lot harder to treat.

If the goal is to get some sleep in the middle of an infestation, isolating the bed is a much better option than repellents. If you haven't read the FAQ on isolation, that might be a good place to start:

http://bedbugger.com/2006/11/02/faq-how-do-i-protect-my-bed-from-bed-bugs-part-i/

The best treatment for bed bugs is finding a pest management professional with experience with bed bugs and getting him or her in to treat the problem comprehensively. Self-treatment usually fails; worse than that, self-treatment often causes the bed bug population to become more deeply entrenched and harder to get rid of.

Bed bugs are a tough pest to treat. This is one pest best left to good pros.

3. krkfrank

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Feb 12 2012 22:44:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I definitely understand now wanted to repel them from the bed after you have them, but is there something one can spray his or her luggage with when traveling to prevent them from crawling into luggage?

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 13 2012 0:28:54
    #

Login to Send PM

krkfrank,

There are such products but I don't know how well they work. A barrier (luggage encasement, XL ZiPloc, garbage bag which is sealed), while the luggage is on the room, may do more to protect you.

As for the original poster's question, as I understand it repellents don't work long enough or well enough to keep bed bugs at bay. Eliminating bed bugs is key.

While you're working on that (hopefully with a knowledgeable pro), isolating the bed is an option if being bitten causes a lot of distress, or as in some cases, medical problems (such as extreme allergic reactions). There are potential drawbacks to this, though.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.