Smashed bug a bed bug

(11 posts)
  1. BugsByte

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Oct 23 2012 4:41:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I wanted to know if a bug I smashed tonight was a bed bug. I have reason to believe that it might be because I spotted another bedbug-like insect on my bed about a week ago & my brother thought it was one because he's had bed bugs before.The problem I have is that I wacked it (present bug) so many times in the dark before turning on the light after it bit me that its hard to compare it to bedbug online pictures. The photos I've taken aren't great due to the camera so I didnt attempt to post them but I think that the bug, whatever it may be is smeared with orangish/ reddish bood (kind of like burnt orange) & looks round & the size of a pen top. It def wasnt a roach...Does anyone have pics of smashed bed bugs I could glance at to compare?

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Oct 23 2012 7:04:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear bugsbyte,

Where's your photos?

In leui of your photos you can try the little known, little used "taste test" however, I'm not sure how reliable this test actually is.

Rumor has it, and you can google this at thisistotalBS.com, that if your crushed bug tastes like cinamin mixed with blood and diet Dr. Pepper, it definitely could possibly be a bed bug. But, if it tastes more like brown sugar mixed with blood and Coke Zero, then it definitely is most likely a cockroach nymph.

Post your photos so we can see what you got, I'll check back later.

Have a great day ! paul b.

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Oct 23 2012 11:14:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Please do not taste your bug.

Instructions for posting a photo.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Oct 23 2012 11:46:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh my gosh NoBugs, that is hysterical! Sitting here laughing out loud at my desk!

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Oct 23 2012 20:04:26
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, I guess I should apologize for the mood I was in this morning however, I figure that folks will be able to tell that I was "yust yokin" (which in my mind is sveedish for joking). OK and i apologize to everyone from Sweeden too.

So, where's the photo ?

pb

6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Oct 23 2012 21:48:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Paul, this isn't Top Chef..it's bedbugger.com

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Oct 23 2012 22:07:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I think Paul's post was amusing and I am glad mine was taken that way too. I don't think BugsByte misunderstood Paul, but I'm mindful that besides the few who post here, many more read and don't post.

Unfortunately, there are some people out there who will try the most extreme things in desperation. (Remember the woman last year who died after applying pesticides to her own body repeatedly?) So, sadly, my comment was only 90% in jest.

8. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Oct 24 2012 0:52:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe Darwin was right !

That whole evolution & survival of the fittest thing has apparently been working fairly well for a long, long, long time now.

So, if you're dumb enough to taste a squashed bed bug, perhaps you shouldn't survive to reporduce?

Perahps we need to plug some potential leaks in the gene pool?

Just sayin !

While it's great that Bed Bug Blue is working for folks, perhaps what we really need is a Bed Bug Scratch N Sniff type test kit. It would be safer and easier to use than that whole taste test thing.

Have a bug free night folks ! pb

9. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Oct 24 2012 10:25:02
    #

Login to Send PM

@NoBugs regarding your comment about a woman dying after applying pesticides to herself . . . I actually had my PCO tell me last week that he was talking to a woman, confirmed she had bed bugs, he turned around and heard something and she was spraying herself with a can of Raid!!! True story! Wow!

10. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Oct 24 2012 10:26:43
    #

Login to Send PM

@NoBugs regarding your comment about a woman dying after applying pesticides to herself . . . I actually had my PCO tell me last week that he was talking to a woman, confirmed she had bed bugs, he turned around and heard something and she was spraying herself with a can of Raid!!! True story! Wow!

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Oct 24 2012 10:48:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I have long suspect the gene pool is missing a little chlorine.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,037 posts in 28,278 topics over 87 months by 12,189 of 19,343 members. Latest: bugAnxiety, redbird, sera143
Site Meter