Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Single bug bite 100+ times in a night and/or delayed reaction?

(16 posts)
  1. zfigz

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 10 2009 20:30:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

Well, Monday morning I awoke with an intense feeling of itching in my groin area and sides, just as the sun was rising. I ran to the bathroom and realized I had dozens upon dozens of bite marks on the back of my knees, inside thigh, just around my pubic area, waist line, sides, chest, arms and hands. Mind you, I was wearing boxers when this happened. They subsided a bit, but flared up to their original size throughout the day. I did a bit of research and it looked to be bed bugs. I had a few drinks that night and in a stupid move, slept naked. I woke up again and my same spots were blowing up with a few additional, but not nearly as many as I had first received. I'm still not sure if I got bit that 2nd night or not (hell, I may have been bit somewhere else and it's only now appearing on my skin.) I've done an incredible amount of research since the first bites appeared. My order of Diatect's Results BedBug Killer arrived today as per the instructions of a local Pest Control company. They said it'd be incredibly expensive for them to come out for it and to just buy this stuff instead. I've also moved all the blankets/clutter I had under the bed. I placed my mattress/box spring outside in the Texas sun for 4 hours or so. I placed my bed in the center of my room, put carpet tape around the entire bed (ceiling/floor), placed the feet of my bed into cups of water and brushed the outside of my mattress/bed spring with Diatect's Results. I've also been wearing long underwear, sweats, an undershirt and a long sleeve shirt the last couple of days. It's Friday and it's been 5 days since the first batch of bites have appeared....So my questions are as follows:

Could a single bug have nibbled me that many times in one sitting or at least have done this in a matter of a couple of days?

Or maybe, this could have happened days prior and the reaction is only now surfacing (I slept at a stranger's house 2 days before the bites surfaced) ?

2. MyWorstFear

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 10 2009 20:54:41
    #

Login to Send PM

zfigz - 21 minutes ago  » 

Could a single bug have nibbled me that many times in one sitting or at least have done this in a matter of a couple of days?
    Not from a single bug...once it's had it's fill, it won't "eat" again for several days.

Or maybe, this could have happened days prior and the reaction is only now surfacing (I slept at a stranger's house 2 days before the bites surfaced) ?

[i]Reactions can take up to 9 days (I think) to appear, so it's very possible you got bitten by many many bed bugs the night you slept at the stranger's house. Any possibility you could check with the "stranger" and see if anyone else was bitten, or if this person has bed bugs?[i]

3. zfigz

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 10 2009 21:08:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, ok...I kinda just assumed it happened the morning I woke up incredibly itchy since they like to attack at night just before dawn.

As for the stranger, I don't know much about them and did sleep in their bed. The following day (Saturday) I climbed a tree with a friend and we sat in it for a bit. I don't know, maybe I was bit there? I'm really hoping this occurred somewhere else. I've inspected my bed fiercely and wasn't able to find any indication of an "infestation."

A few new bites appeared on my hand last night...so I'm still wondering. I suppose my skin could be taking its time in reacting to the individual bites. I'll just keep up the regimen I've begun for a bit and follow the Diatect Result's Bed Bug treatment til' I've hit 4-5 weeks.

4. F@ Bed Bugs

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 11 2009 11:01:41
    #

Login to Send PM

That many bites would not be from just one bug. The most a bed bug would usually bite is three times, and that's when they are very hungry. It would be very strange for you to all of a sudden have that many bugs in your house... you probably would have been bitten gradually, not just 50 bites one night. It makes the most sense that you were bitten at the strangers place (if it is bed bugs).

I'm not sure what kind of bugs you have crawling about the trees in Texas, but I would think you'd have noticed that many bugs crawling on you. there is a chance that it was not bed bugs (or any bugs at all). I would see a doctor and have them check out the "bites". Just in case it was bed bugs from the strangers place, there is a good chance you brought one/some home, so I would keep up with the treatment until you know more. When I was bit by bed bugs at a motel, I had over 150 bites, that didn't even start itching until about 12 hours later. I've heard of some people who faced a serious infestation in one night, still seeing new bites for a few weeks, however, I don't think it's that common. Everyone reacts to the bites differently. Some people will not even itch or have any reaction on their skin.

When I was getting bitten at home after bringing a few with my from the motel, the bites were much less severe than when I had 150 bites.. they were smaller, less itchy and disappeared faster, so keep that in mind if you're finding "bites" on your skin over the next few weeks (they may not look/itch the same). Hopefully if it was bed bugs, you didn't bring any home with you.. but if you did, your treatment should hopefully eliminate them. Good luck, and keep us posted.

5. zfigz

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 11 2009 14:49:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the info F@ Bed Bugs...
    Yeah, I think you're right that I got them from the stranger's place. They wanted to hang out last night, but I ignored the call :-/ I wish I could get the nerve to call them and ask them about the bed bugs...but I just feel awkward about it.

So, it's day 6 and I still have not seen any signs of any bed bugs. I don't believe I've gotten anymore bites either. Old spots will flare up, but that's it. I also don't think I brought any home with me because I biked back home in blistering heat and I only had the clothes on my back...granted, they could have clung to my clothes for the ride. At this point, I think I'll just keep the way my bed is situated (in the center of my room) for just another night or two. I'll continue with the Diatect Results stuff for 4 weeks I suppose even though I hate having that shit around as I know it's not good for my health.

6. zfigz

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 11 2009 19:42:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I found a tiny bedbug looking nymph in the pocket of the shorts I wore to this person's apartment. My mattress cover just arrived today and I'll putting that one.

7. zfigz

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 11 2009 22:03:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh my lord!

Ok, so I got the nerve and contacted the stranger...and low and behold, she has bedbugs. She replied with "Haha, yeah. What are you doing tonight?" Ugh...never ever am I going to go to a stranger's apartment that I met off the bus. Worst idea ever. At least I know I don't have an infestation of bed bugs. Gawd...what a gnarly b*tch.

8. sickofthebugs

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 11 2009 22:16:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I counted the number of bites I have last night, and a conservative estimate (I couldn't see my back), was 230! The first ones I got (a week ago) were the classic raised wheels, like hives. I was also dealing with a terrible case of poison ivy AND poison oak on my arms, so I initially thought this was part of that (it's been a really awful few weeks). However, the most recent bites have just been little red dots, not raised at all. I wonder if the original ones were from adults in the hotel I was in, and if the most recent ones were from little nymphs that have hatched in my house? I haven't seen any bugs either - just one engorged nymph. I've had the exterminator in, and zipped up my mattress. My husband thinks I'm being crazy, but the fact is after 230 bites (or 100 bites, or 12), you do go a little crazy.

Off to bed. Wish it was entirely in my control as to whether or not the bed bugs bite. Hope you get a good night sleep.

9. zfigz

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 11 2009 22:37:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I just got a text from her saying she doesn't have bedbugs...hmm, I don't know what to think. I'm still pointing the finger at this gal who denies she has bed bugs.

10. zfigz

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 12 2009 15:22:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I woke up a bit earlier than normal and was scratching away. I don't know if I have new bites, or if old ones are just flaring up. I have what looks like 3 new bites on my left side and a new bite on my right. I don't know, I hope it's just a flare up...or if it is new bites, they better have walked over the bed bug killer I sprinkled about.

11. zfigz

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 18 2009 20:20:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, it's been almost two weeks since my first welts appeared. Today I had, what looks like, fresh welts on my underarms. I covered the entire perimeter of my room with Diatect's Results and also sprinkled some around the edges of my mattress. This was done yesterday. Today, I woke up with nasty looking welts/hives on my underarms. I'm thinking the Results woke them up and so they went for one last feed...at least, I really hope so. This is hell...

I've taken my mattress out of the encasement so I can easily put the Results around it. Should I put it back on?

12. F@ Bed Bugs

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 31 2009 0:55:58
    #

Login to Send PM

If you can afford it, I would get a professional in asap to inspect and discuss treating. Chems you buy on the shelves aren't always the most effective. I didn't think I could have brought any home either but turns out I did somehow.. on my clothes. If there were that many bugs at her place, it's more likely that some hitched a ride in your pockets... if you're still getting new welts than it doesn't look too positive. Good luck. Keep us posted.

13. BPNYC

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jan 1 2011 16:08:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been bit twice in 14 months, once from an apartment my parents had rented for a weekend an a second time this week. I wasn't even staying at the apartment, just visiting for about 20 mins. I was bit 100+ times, I think from one bug.

The second time I had about 75 bits in my own apartment. We're having an exterminator come in later this week. I did a super cleaning of all the cracks in the wood floor and floor boards and I got lucky and caught one as it walked toward my leg.

P.S. putting down double-sided tape didn't work. I'm considering experimenting on my little prisioner with some Raid spray later today. That's what it gets for biting me on the dick.

14. Beth

account closed

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jan 2 2011 16:04:34
    #

Login to Send PM

It is not possible, I don't think, to get 100 plus bites from one bug. I have had bed bugs for over a year and even when they were bad, no bug ever bit me more than 4 times. That many bites indicates a severe, severe infestation that is not being addressed at all, or something else entirely. zfigz--have you considered scabies? Given the areas where you are getting "bites" (groin, underarms and hands) it seems a distinct possibility. Heck, maybe the girl had both. And yes, put that mattress cover back on and duct tape the zipper. Good luck, these things are hell. Bars are terrible places to meet people!

Amy

15. Clay

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue May 10 2011 22:25:45
    #

Login to Send PM

They are the little buggars from hell. I sit here in bed with no less than 125 welts in rows of threes, from my pinky toe, to my big thumb, and even at the nape of my neck, the little buggars have inflicted their pleasure feeding.

Did I ask for this? An innocent traveler was I, and having fun in the paradise of vacation, but all is woe now. I am sick of itching, sick of not sleeping at night, and sick of this Bug Epidemic!!!!!!!!!! I was attacked by bugs last summer, but only received 68 bites on that occassion. I have already doubled the count this year, and more welts appear every hour. I imagine that by the time all of the bites appear by the end of the week I could be closer to 200 miserable and wretched bites.

Has anyone ever been driven to insanity by the bugs from hell? If so, I would not be surprised! I believe that a war should be fought to stop these slimy bugs. We should bring our boys back from Afghanistan and put them in all of the motels in the USA. We shall fight them on the terraces; we shall fight on the Motel 6's at the beaches; we shall fight in the Holiday Inns in the hills; we shall fight in the eves of the Super 8's; and behind every bed at the Budget Inns; we shall never surrender. Ask not what your bed bugs can do to you but rather ask what can I do to annihilate those little devil's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And in the final push of those days it shall come to pass that they will say " don't look here or there for the bed bugs, for the bed bugs of the past will be far away and long gone. For we are now receiving what our forefathers prophesied about. A land flowing with milk and honey. A land where the people shall lie down with the bed bugs and they will not suck their blood. A time and era where the people and the bed bugs will play cards together and watch old John Wayne movies and crack a can of Bud light. But until those days come, Be strong my Bed Bug Bitten friends! Be strong!"

16. anakaday

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Sep 11 2012 15:35:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I just brought them home from someone's house. I got bitten 10 times on the top of my right arm.
    5 days later, I got bitten 7 times on my bum when I was sitting down - I am sure this was one bug - The bites were in a row and fresh. So one bug can bite several times - if you move it reattaches itself somewhere else - or maybe they are not good at finding good veins.
    100 bits could be 10-15 bugs. They feed once a week so that's around 100 separate bugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.