Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

SINGLE bites on one leg, please help (picture)

(7 posts)
  1. concernedcitizen

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jul 6 2011 19:49:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Without going into great detail of my story, I have been receiving strange marks that seem to be bites, ONLY on my lower right leg, very infrequently (maybe 5-6 "bites" total) over the last month. They are exclusively singular - one single bite at a time - and ONLY on the lower part of my right leg. Actually now that I think of it there may have been one time where there were two right next to each other, but that was it. It doesn't seem to fit the bed bug pattern (only one area of the body, one single bites, not happening every day, etc) but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this.

wheal on right leg
    (sorry for the crappy quality, it's from a cell phone)

This picture is from a bite that appeared after sleeping at my girlfriend's house. (The other ones were all from my house, save for this one and maybe one other small one. She has received only one "bite" on her lower leg at my place, in the early evening. This makes it even stranger that they are all only on my lower right leg and only one "bite" at a time.) They definitely have mosquitoes there but we were in bed, I noticed it a few minutes after waking up. It itched like crazy when I first noticed it, now it's still slightly itchy but also somewhat painful, firm, raised, and feels warm to the touch. The other spots were also like this, but this one might be the biggest.

I have checked for any evidence, found none. I have been planning to go through EVERYTHING looking for evidence since so far have found nothing in the bed, sheets, bed frame, chairs, anything. The only thing I've seen near by bed was a couple small clear spiders, long legs, VERY fast... I caught one but I squished it in the process, but it appeared to be a spider and not a nymph. Unfortunately it was too squashed to say with 100% certainty. But I had seen one on the table and it appeared to just be a small spider.

I know it's difficult to establish that it's from bed bugs without other evidence, but if you have any input I would greatly appreciate it.

2. djames1921

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jul 6 2011 21:19:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Bites alone do not mean bed bugs, and the fact this has been going on a month should make finding bed bugs easier as they reproduce quite rapidly. Stay vigilant but don't spend money for treatment until you know you have them as we hear many on this site who have gone through the expense/time only to fing they never had them.

3. concernedcitizen

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jul 6 2011 22:54:33
    #

Login to Send PM

@djames1921 Thank you for your response. I figured that by this point if it was bed bugs it would have progressed, and aside from now having a couple of "bites" appear while at her place, nothing new has occurred. We have been very vigilant and extremely cautious ever since the first "bite" appeared at my apartment. She stays at my place most of the time and we go to her house on the weekends. Immediately upon entering her house we put our clothes directly into the washer, leave our shoes by the door, and keep our bags in the car. After I showed her my leg this morning we both looked all around the bed, headboard, box spring, sheets, everything, and didn't find anything. She has white sheets over her mattress which were completely clean except for some small lint.

As far as apartment buildings go, mine is pretty good on the pest front. The building management inspects ALL units regularly for bed bugs and treats them immediately. The last time they checked (one or two months before this) nobody on my floor had them except for two units, not adjacent to mine. The units above and below were clean as well. I know what to look for (live/dead bugs, fecal stains, cast skins, etc) and I haven't found anything. I will certainly continue to keep a look out!

4. concernedcitizen

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jul 6 2011 23:09:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I wonder if anyone has any insight into why I would be getting repeated solitary "bites" (wheals) only on one leg, generally in a similar area (upper, outer calf), at different times and in two separate locations. I've searched the internet and I've never heard of this happening with bed bugs, or anything else for that matter.

My concern stems from the pictures I've seen of bed bug bites, which look suspiciously similar to the raised hard spot that I have now. It's the worst of the ones I've received and made me very nervous. I know bed bugs don't always bite in rows or a pattern, but I haven't found any information stating that a person could just get one bite, on one part of their body, for multiple weeks.

It's possible that it could be mosquito bites, but again very strange for them to continuously appear in the same area. I do get carpet beetles (Anthrenus verbasci) every year, but their annual appearance already happened and I haven't seen them since, nor have they ever caused any kind of skin reaction before.

5. aph

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 25 2012 22:07:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi concernedcitizen - did you ever get this resolved? I am going through the same experience right now - bites only on one leg, but seem to be consistent with beg bug bites.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 25 2012 23:56:56
    #

Login to Send PM

aph,

Concerned citizen has not logged on in a year and is not likely to see your post. (You can click a member's status -- "newbite" in this case-- to see their profile, which tells you about their activity.)

Bed bug bites can be single or multiple and can be anywhere on your body. You really need visual evidence of bed bugs to determine if they're present.

However, I would suggest that anyone getting bites on their legs consider whether fleas are present. (No pets necessary.) Mosquitos are always a possibility also.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. aph

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 26 2012 16:49:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme,

Thanks for the tip about member's statuses! I've been considering the possibility of fleas, (and scabies and chiggers too). I have been looking for visual evidence, as I know it's the only possible way to confirm BBs, but I have not found any. I've encased my mattress and box spring and put in some of those passive bed leg traps in the hopes of catching any should they be around. The one thing that makes me doubt BBs are that the bites are only on one leg, which seems an odd behaviour. Thanks so much for all your active work in monitoring these forums.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

200,061 posts in 31,010 topics over 94 months by 13,441 of 20,848 members. Latest: Mellisa, midnightfeast, senses123