Should I throw out my futon? (HELP)

(4 posts)
  1. Cant wait to move

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Jun 19 2017 8:47:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there--I'm new to the site and getting a little desperate.

A few weeks ago, I got a bite in my sleep. I thought it was a mosquito bite, except the redness started swelling. I went to the doctor and they said it was cellulitis. A week later, I got another one. We decided to call a K9 team to come and check for bedbugs. They found them near the front door in the wall, but not in my room or my roommates' rooms. They said there were big mosquitos and spiders in my room, so maybe that was biting me. Our landlord refuses to pay to treat for BB so my roommate and I have to. She didn't have money for the K9 team's company, so we had to go with someone the landlord's brother recommended who would give us a discount. He came and sprayed the next day. But my new bite got so bad it put me in the hospital. The day I came home, I got another one. I freaked out and went to stay with a friend (after washing everything on my and keeping it in plastic while I was there. I ended up staying in an airbnb for a week just so I could catch up on work without fear of being bitten (again, only bringing stuff I knew was clean), although at the time I did it "just in case" because I believed what was buying me wasn't actually bed bugs and that they had basically been eradicated). My roommate called the PCO to spray again, even though it was only one week later. I installed Climbups in my futon, although I forgot there were six legs so I put Vaseline around the remaining two on my PCOs recommendation while I waited for my next set to arrive. I encased my futon as well.

I came back on Saturday, and I got four bites (and killed an adult bed bug) that night. Last night I caught a blood-filled nymph and got about five bites. I haven't found anything in the Climbups, but that could be because I have two legs that are less protected?

The problem appears to be in my futon--I'm moving next month and I was hoping to just toss everything out then and move in with a brand-new bed to minimize the risk of bringing them with me, but I can't go on like this until then. I've ordered some DE and I may get a steamer, and I've called the PCO again to discuss, but honestly I don't really trust him because he didn't give us a lot of instructions on how to prepare for treatment other than taping up the baseboards and outing out some traps. He seemed very confident, but the problem has only gotten worse in my bed.

Did my absence make the problem worse? Should I go ahead and throw out my futon and get a new one while my apartment could still be infested? Do you have any advice as to how to sleep?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 days ago
    Mon Jun 19 2017 14:37:22
    #

Login to Send PM

In response to your question, I would read all the FAQs here under "Keep bed bugs out of your mattress or bed": http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/faqs-about-bed-bugs-for-bedbugger-forum-users

Note there are pros and cons, which is why I am not recommending just one of those FAQs.

That said, let's step back a moment.

Finding bed bugs only near the front door is very unusual. It suggests they may not even be bed bugs. Can you post a photo for ID or do you still have. Sample of what was found?

It could be another cause.

Are there birds or bats nesting on or on the building?

Have you looked into local laws about whether landlords are required to pay for professional treatment? Many times, they lie and assume tenants donet know better.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Cant wait to move

newbite

Posted 6 days ago
    Mon Jun 19 2017 23:20:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks.

We had a K-9 team come in and check, and the dog immediately alerted to an electrical outlet near the door. One thing that has concerned me is that my roommate and I bagged up a lot of our stuff before the dog came, but the dog didn't alert anywhere else. I believe they found a shell casing too. The roommate with the bed closest to the wall threw out her mattress and box springs because she saw a bug in the wall that was full of blood before the dog came, so we honestly have no way of knowing what she saw or what was in her mattress. Then K9 team thought mosquitos might have been getting me.

The wall that the dog alerted to is immediately adjacent to another building--it's a little hard to tell, but it looks like we share a wall.

After the PCO sprayed, my roommate saw and killed some bugs, but I never saw any. I was out of my room for several days because I was in the hospital with a skin infection.

I don't know of any birds or bats.

I suppose it's possible that what I have isn't bed bugs. I've seen two types of bugs on my encasement. One was what I was pretty sure was an adult bed bug that I killed. (There's a stain on the mattress that seems to line up with the fecal stain description, although there's exactly one). I caught another smaller one that I was convinced was a fed nymph but now I'm less sure. I can't get get a good picture with my camera but I can get a video. It's pin he

The other type is too small to get a picture of, but it's brown and oblong with two large antennae that make the whole thing look like a capital Y. I've seen near-microscopic ones of these and ones closer to a few millimeters long.

I've been getting clusters of two or three welts in the same area, which seems consistent with bed bugs.

We don't have bats or birds as far as I know.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 days ago
    Mon Jun 19 2017 23:44:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I caught another smaller one that I was convinced was a fed nymph but now I'm less sure. I can't get get a good picture with my camera but I can get a video...

The other type is too small to get a picture of, but it's brown and oblong with two large antennae that make the whole thing look like a capital Y. I've seen near-microscopic ones of these and ones closer to a few millimeters long.

That one doesn't sound like a bed bug.

Note that you can't diagnose bed bugs from skin reactions. There are other things which can cause similar reactions and patterns-- and bed bugs don't bite in any particular patterns. The bites can be singles, pairs, random marks, in a line, etc.

It is possible bed bugs might be coming from a shared outside wall, from the next building.

It's possible you bagged bed bugs in the bags and that's why there were no other hits. However, k9s aren't always accurate. It sounds like they visually searched after dog hits, and where bed bugs or other evidence was found, those hits would be considered accurate.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

257,460 posts in 41,314 topics over 126 months by 18,100 of 18,520 members. Latest: kellykline, canadaday, Chibenny1980