Should I go to class/work/anywhere??

(3 posts)
  1. BuggedNBed

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Mar 13 2011 21:47:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I am new to this forum. Obviously, Ive got BB and plenty of woes to go with it.

I realized I had bed bugs on thursday. Ill keep the descriptions short because everyone here probably knows the horror stories that go along with em. Bottom line: My 5 unit building is infested and they were probably here when I move in. Exterminator coming tomorrow morning for the first time to talk about treatment/investigate further. Landlord is paying for extermination costs because I went straight the the health dept. with samples and they issued a citation. They told him he has to do 3-4 treatments, more if necessary, to all units. I have pets, live alone (as of 3 weeks ago) and I have done countless hours of research.

Should I go to work in the food service industry with bed bugs at home if treatment has not started yet? ( I am cleaning as fast as I can but as you know, its a HUGE task. Especially with mono, pets and no help)

Everything I have read has said they do not travel on pets. I found 3 on one pet yesterday with a flea comb. What can I do to keep them bed bug free? I feel like a jerk constantly shooing them away from my new sleeping area (couch). I know I know, dont change where you sleep. I cannot sleep in my bed, I realized this after 2 nights awake with a flashlight and a spray bottle and an unhealthy dose of terror.

How successful are lawsuits against landlords for recovering property losses? The department of health (and me) thinks he knew they were here/could be here. When I moved in another tenant was moving out of another unit and said it was because of bed bugs and roaches but my landlord said he evicted them and they are liars. Being the moron I must be, I did not investigate further.

Great, theres a special on bed bugs on tv right now. I have only known Ive had them for 4 days and it has consumed my life. Everytime I sit down to write a paper, prepare a presentation, go to leave the house I find myself researching bed bugs instead or inspecting the area I am in with a flashlight and a stick. Paranoia has set in, deep.

You might get a kick out of this, the morning I called my mom to tell her she asked if I was on acid.

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Mar 13 2011 22:10:11
    #

Login to Send PM

You should try and maintain as much of your normal life as possible, while taking precautions to protect your visitors and the places you go. Please read our FAQ, especially this one. http://bedbugger.com/faqs/travel/

Also, check out our Resources page for helpful guides to understanding and beating bed bugs.

Hang in there.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Mar 13 2011 23:47:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I am sorry you're in this boat, but having a citation seems like a good thing, especially if it requires the whole building to get treated. You could be in a worse position if that were not so.

Some simple steps in the Travel FAQs Cilecto mentioned can help keep you from taking them to work with you.

Some topical flea/tick preventatives (the ones you apply monthly) MAY help keep pets from being bitten, but there's some controversy over whether this works or not.

More to the point, bed bugs will prefer you to your pets. It sounds like you have a pretty serious case if you are seeing lots of bed bugs.

If the exterminator is coming tomorrow, you may get your first treatment fairly soon and things should start to get better gradually.

One other thing: I know your first instinct was probably to clean like crazy (and perhaps to throw things out). Keep in mind the pest management professionals will often want to see things as they are, so they can see where harborages are. Moreover, moving things around can make things worse by spreading them to different parts of the home. As much as you can, I would wait to be advised by them.

One thing you can do if energy permits is to wash and dry some clothing and keep it in a sealed bag (contractor's bag sealed in an airtight fashion, or XL Ziploc if you can get them). Having a shower and putting that clothing on right before you go to work will help avoid spreading bed bugs.

If you can get ahold of a Packtite (more here), then you can also decon shoes, bags, other items taken to work or school. (Debugged, they can be worn outside and then bagged in an airtight fashion once home, if you don't want to Packtite regularly.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

183,994 posts in 28,273 topics over 87 months by 12,188 of 19,341 members. Latest: Vantz, bugAnxiety, redbird
Site Meter