Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

should i be staying at home during this?

(6 posts)
  1. papierbaby

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 13:37:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi! Found out I had bed bugs last Thursday and have been fighting ever since.

Thursday night I stayed at my boyfriend's in a panic, right after finding the first one.
    Friday after work, my parents came out to help remove clothing/take the bed apart in preparation for the exterminator. I then stayed with them that night.
    Saturday morning, we returned to let the exterminator in. I stayed with my parents again Saturday night.
    I came back Sunday, cleaned and vacuumed the whole place, didn't see a thing, other than dead ones in the box spring. I stayed the night.
    Monday after work, I found a live on on my brand-new bedding atop my freshly encased mattress (box spring is encased as well). I couldn't do it and went to my boyfriend's again for the night.

I've been doing some reading, though, and am wondering if I should be staying at my apartment. The thought of it makes my skin crawl (I'm horrible with ALL bugs, and now this...), but I want them to be gone. As soon as possible. The exterminator is coming back for a follow up, not sure when, but I don't want to interfere with the process.

Any advice would be amazing. Thank you!

2. Jaywasane

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 14:11:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I would say yes, your exterminator should of gave some guidelines to follow. Leaving would cause them to spread out looking for a meal. I'm sure some pros and other people who been thru this will give you more advice.

Not a Pro I just spend to much time researching BB's.
  3. papierbaby

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 15:13:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Jaywasane - 1 hour ago  » 
    I would say yes, your exterminator should of gave some guidelines to follow. Leaving would cause them to spread out looking for a meal. I'm sure some pros and other people who been thru this will give you more advice.

Thanks, Jaywasane, that's what I feared/thought.
    I'm trying to work up the courage to stay tonight... I feel like the last five days have just been a living nightmare.

4. mp7ski

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 18:53:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Stay at your place. Not being there may hinder the treatments success. Not to mention you're putting everyone else at risk by staying at their place while going through a bed bug infestation. I'm not saying you can't properly leave and stay somewhere without taking any bed bugs with you. But there are precautions you must take with everything you take with you to insure that you dont. I know it's hard, I get it, believe me. But it's part of the beast.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  5. papierbaby

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 8:08:27
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 13 hours ago  » 
    Stay at your place. Not being there may hinder the treatments success. Not to mention you're putting everyone else at risk by staying at their place while going through a bed bug infestation. I'm not saying you can't properly leave and stay somewhere without taking any bed bugs with you. But there are precautions you must take with everything you take with you to insure that you dont. I know it's hard, I get it, believe me. But it's part of the beast.

I get that. I've been being crazy paranoid with everything I take out of the house. I stayed there last night, though -- exhausted today. New normal, I guess!

6. SleeplessJuneBug

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 16:37:55
    #

Login to Send PM

If it helps, Benedryl helped me manage to finally get some restful sleep when I was having a hard time dealing with using myself as bait. It helped settle my urge to itch and scratch and helped me stay drowsy enough to want to sleep 😅

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

263,718 posts in 42,630 topics over 128 months by 18,711 of 19,242 members. Latest: Brightly79, InaneVelocity, ElisaR