Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Shingles not bed bug bites?

(6 posts)
  1. maidenkatt

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 22:37:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I finally went to the doc today because it's been 9 days since getting bit-- well, I assumed I was bit because I thought I felt bugs on me, was itchy and then found bite marks a day later- the doc said might also be shingles because of the fact that they have not subsided after 9 days and they are only on my right side on my torso. Anyone had this confusion? I don't have bugs at home. I thought I was bit in a theater, she said her first guess is bug bites but second guess is classic shingles symptoms (relentless itching, burning and they have not calmed a bit!)

2. Alberich

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 2:23:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I had shingles years ago, before bed bugs became prominent and hazardous in the city I live in. I had shingles on my upper legs but this condition was intensely painful, it created deep deep pain, as well as a very distinctive rash. Do you hurt much or are you mainly itchy? Shingles in me did not create a sensation anything was moving over me, or biting me. It just hurt like the drat. Possibly you need a dermatologist now too, because bugs only biting in one spot would be odd as well.

3. pinupchick

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 11:02:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I had shingles several years ago (or possibly miliaria type heat rash -- the doctor wasn't sure). It was intensely itchy, with blistering fluid-filled bumps surrounded by a red rash. I was really young (16) so I didn't have any of the pain associated with shingles. It took a month to go away. I could see that type of rash being mistaken for highly reactive bug bites

4. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 11:16:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I have had both shingles and bed bug bites. Shingles can be difficult to diagnose. The doctor I saw thought mine was a gall bladder attack. I have to say, having both, that the pain of bed bug bites didn't last 9 days and the pattern of bed bug bites wasn't normally in the pattern of shingles where it is on the torso on only one side of the body. If your marks involve intense pain that doesn't subside, it certainly reminds me more of when I had shingles than my bed bug bites. If they are going to prescirbe you anti-viral medication such as Valtrax for the shingles, the sooner you take it the better it works. It helped me a lot.

5. sickofbugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 3:07:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I too get shingles when I am extremely stressed out. Last year's infestation in old building, I did not get shingles, might have though, just never thought about it, as there were so many beg bug bites.

After moving into new building and then major eye surgery, I did get shingles, I even get pre-symptoms before actual shingles break out. I do get shingles when my Lyme Disease symptoms are active, e.g. after major eye surgery. Went to my dr then who diagnosed shingles and gave me the option of treatment. Just had eye surgery 3 weeks ago, and broke out in shingles. Need to see a dr when they first break out though.

I took pictures to differentiate between bed bug bites and shingles. At first glance, they really do look similar. But blown up, there is quite a difference from my old beg bug bites. I break out in shingles along back of neck, or under shoulder blades, all in a line. Pre-warning of a shingles outbreak feels like intense very very sharp pin-pricks and very itchy. I now know not to itch which lessens the severity of shingles.

sickofbugs

6. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 16:04:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, sickofbugs--shingles can be other places on the body. Thanks for explaining that. When I re-read my post, I realized I was just talking about where MY shingles were (on my torso) but yes, shingles outbreaks can be on the face, in the eyes, and other parts of the body.

Oddly, my bed bug bites occur most often on certain areas of my body--forehead, hands and upper arms near my elbows, shoulders and upper back, around my waist, and around my ankles.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,124 posts in 28,293 topics over 87 months by 12,191 of 19,346 members. Latest: falc, falc2, jazzychazzy
Site Meter