shhh, don't say it too loud! *success story*

(14 posts)
  1. bugobsessed

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Mar 17 2008 23:12:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi folks,

I haven't posted in a long while because I have been "bug free" for two months now, and I'm trying to move on with my life, albeit slowly. I won't allow myself to get too excited because I'm afraid the moment I do they'll come back. I still live out of plastic bags and containers. My bed is still isolated. All my belongings are on isolated wire storage racks still also. BUT, it has been more than 60 days since I have been bitten and almost four months since I've seen a live bug. For those of you who didn't know me during my time here, I want to share my story because it is important to know that even in adverse circumstances these things can be beaten.

I discovered the bugs in the last week of September '07, though I had a mysterious rash on my hand and arm (the one I slept with under the pillow) since the end of August '07. I had just moved to my new town in mid-August, so I attributed the "rash" to change in climate or soap or stress or whatever. I never thought of bed bugs until one day my husband and I were cleaning, we pulled the bed away from the wall, and there it was-- the bed bug nest! We looked it up on the internet and there it was-- helloooo bedbugs! I had never even heard of them before (aside from the bed time rhyme).

We quickly did everything you're not supposed to do, like furiously clean everything and throw away furniture without bagging. By the first week in November I realized we needed professional help and I called my landlord who said the man upstairs had said something about bugs a while ago but thought it wasn't a big deal! By deductive reasoning-- I got my bedbugs from my upstairs neighbor who was in complete denial about the severity of his infestation. He lived for months without cleaning or bagging or anything-- I was fighting against the currents.

After following the FAQ's and cleaning ALL my clothes and bedding and furniture, I also sealed all baseboards, door frames, window frames, light fixtures, electrical outlets and cracks in all walls (including closets). I ordered food grade DE and dusted my couch (inside), bedroom, and even my cats like I was rubbing them with flea powder. I did laundry including my linens every 4 days. The PCO visited a total of five times.

The last set of bites I received was on January 10th, a typical BLD pattern, in my isolated bed. I dusted my bed frame with DE and washed all my linens, and that was the last I have seen of the bugs.

It is now March 18th and I have been bug and bite free for 66 days. I am not ready to unpack my belongings yet. I'm still too paranoid. If I have another outbreak, I don't think I could handle having to go through all the bagging again. I am cautiously going about my life and slowly looking for a house that my husband and I can buy and call our own. I know now that there is life beyond bed bugs, and although I still cannot completely relax (I still inspect every itch and every black speck), I feel like I can live again without being obsessed by bugs every waking (and sometimes sleeping) minute of my life.

Dear bedbuggers, you have all been so supportive and you are all so brave. Keep up the good fight. 66 days and counting....

Bugobsessed

2. bugbasher

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Mar 17 2008 23:21:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Good for you,BO! Hooray to anyone that's getting their life back from the demon seeds that we call bb's.Many good wishes...Hope the trauma is behind you soon.

3. freaked out in brooklyn

Deleted Account *do not PM*

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Mar 17 2008 23:36:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't understand the dd stuff. Is it safe for cats,].My cat had been sneezing 40 times a day since the pco.

4. mangycur

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Mar 17 2008 23:41:06
    #

Login to Send PM

YAY BO

5. angie

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Mar 18 2008 8:05:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Way to go Bugobsessed!!!! Wishing you all the best that these bugs are a thing of your past. I too understand about not getting to comfortable. I still look at every black spot and inspect every "bite" and am very nervous when going through the clothes that have been packed away for months. 66 days is a long time and hopefully the days will keep counting. I am on day 39!! WOOT! WOOT! (Knock on wood)

6. buggedoutinbaltimore

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Mar 18 2008 9:00:16
    #

Login to Send PM

CONGRATS! Your story gives me hope.

7. needtosleep

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Mar 18 2008 9:05:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Wonderful news! I trust that you will soon find a home over which you will have some control, and in which you can feel comfortable again. During the worst part of my infestation, I lamented the scarcity of "success" stories. It's good to see you posting this here--you give us hope.

8. annanicolaou

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Mar 18 2008 11:21:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thats so great to hear! Yes, hopefully some day the rest of us will be able to come back here and post our successes as well.

9. free2sleep

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Mar 19 2008 23:29:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I didn't know about bed bug bites up until a year ago i moved
    into an apartment building unbeknown to me the building had
    bedbugs i started getting bites i called the landlord looking
    for help he sent an exterminator to my house and he sprayed my
    apartment it just made it worst i started getting bitten more
    then before and my children as well i even found a couple on my
    dog i didn't want the company that the landlord sent so i got my
    own exterminating company i never thought that there would be
    such lack of costumer service and experience when i contacted
    some of these companies don't want to mention names they were
    already mentioned here and by doing that I'm only going down to
    their level 2 companies later and my bank account drained and
    still getting bitten i found a miracle worker i say a miracle
    worker because he did what 3 companies failed to do which was
    get rid of my bed bugs and his dog even found bedbugs in the baseboards of my room a place i had no idea bedbugs could hide he was also understanding to my needs not his pockets and he was by far the best i have ever
    dealt with i recommend him to all i can say three months later
    I'm free of bugs and i can sleep and the name of the company
    that made possible was freedom pest control the owner is Cesar
    he can be found yellow pages.com

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Mar 20 2008 9:37:02
    #

Login to Send PM

good luck, bugobsessed! this sounds promising. i added an excerpt from this post to the success stories page.

don't worry--i hear the bed bugs are afraid to look at that page

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Mar 20 2008 10:04:36
    #

Login to Send PM

congrats!!!!!

12. completelybuggedout

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Mar 20 2008 10:52:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Congrats to you and your bug free enviornment! Here hoping I will be posting the same here shortly! Good Luck!

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Mar 21 2008 19:19:15
    #

Login to Send PM

free2sleep,

I am glad you got rid of your bed bugs.

So, you have not had bed bugs for three months, and this is your first visit to the forums, and you came just to post a review?

14. free2sleep

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Mar 22 2008 0:53:38
    #

Login to Send PM

This is my first time in the forum I had no idea that this forum was availible.I have been bed bug free for three months the first time Cesar came to my apartment it was back in December and he treated my apartment twice with no chemicals. I didn't think that was possible but it was. That is why he is a miracle worker. He came back just 3 weeks ago because I had a scare but was just my paranoia it's traumatizing after dealing with these bugs and he did it free of charge. I asked if I can give him a review somewhere and he told me about this forum.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

257,526 posts in 41,334 topics over 126 months by 18,111 of 18,532 members. Latest: Pleasedontbebbs, pleezehelp, tarito