Shed or egg ID [a: beetle]

(6 posts)
  1. Martiga

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Mar 20 2017 14:56:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone, I'm a student living alone (based in South-Western France), and after getting strange bites in the past few days, I decided to take a look at my mattress for signs of bedbugs. I didn't find any bloodstains, and I don't think I found faecal matter either (I looked it up on the internet, so I'm not exactly the most reliable expert, either).
    What I did find, though, is an area on the mattress, at the foot of my bed where there are small white elongated shapes stuck to the fabric. They're not moving, and upon closer observation, there appears to be 15+ of those under and around the seams. I didn't look much further after inspecting the top and sides of the mattress, but now I'm definitely freaking out that I have a bedbug invasion.
    I took a picture of the mattress and of the biggest out of the white things (it's a little longer than 1mm, I'd say).

Do you guys think it is bedbug-related? If not, do you know what it could be? Thanks in advance!

//A very freaked-out student

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Mar 20 2017 15:37:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Non of that is bed bug related.

See example image below:

Slide3 by David Cain, on Flickr

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Martiga

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat Mar 25 2017 13:52:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your answer!

I think I found an adult specimen of whatever this first thing was, and I believe I found a nest, too. The adult bug is clearly not a bedbug, as for the nest I'm not sure what insect could have done it (the adult specimen's?).

I'm posting pictures below, can anyone ID this creature? And tell me if the nest could still be bedbugs (unrelated to the adult bug)?

Thanks in advance, I have to leave my flat for a few months tomorrow so I'm really freaking out :O

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat Mar 25 2017 16:39:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, it's a beetle and could be a tenebrionid beetle, but can't tell exactly because this is an oblique view rather than dorsal view. Could be a stored food product pest and these sometimes are associated with caches of rodent stored foods. But could also be infesting something else.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. Martiga

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Mar 26 2017 6:52:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the answer! After some internet searches about beetles, it appears to be a Confused flour beetle. I checked my pantry for other specimens but found none, so I'm hoping this one just hitched a ride on my clothes, or something, rather than it be associated with rodents. Either way, I'm leaving in a few hours so I'll ask my family to keep an eye out when they come to my place.

As for the "nest", I gave it a good thorough look, and upon (much) closer inspection of suspect elements, it's most likely just a mix of dirt/dust/rocks/... that ended up there, probably last time I changed my sheets. I mean, there were no smears, no cast skins, and no actual insects. And no blood stains, which there probably should be if it were a BB nest, since it was located right under where I sleep, so I would have probably squashed a couple while sleeping.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Mar 26 2017 9:58:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, either confused or red flour beetle according to the view of the beetle.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,798 posts in 42,219 topics over 127 months by 18,529 of 19,024 members. Latest: Graham35, katieny, teemo87