Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Sealing electrical outlets

(4 posts)
  1. mrbill0626

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 16 2011 23:18:56
    #

Login to Send PM

The apt above me has bed bugs. Do I need to worry with sealing my electrical outlets to keep them from coming into my apt? The lady in the apt across from the infested apt was told that she should do that, but do I also? And if I have things plugged into an outlet so it's all used do I still need to seal the outlet around the edges to keep bed bugs out? Thanks, Bill

2. NoteToSelfPleaseRemainCalm

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 2:43:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" so I'd suggest u just go head and seal the outlets just to be on the safe side. Personally I would take the covers off, put some DE inside then replace the cover and caulk around it if necessary. I hope your neighbors problem doesn't become yours. Good luck.

3. mrbill0626

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 13:01:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, some or most outlets have plugs in all the sockets so how can I cover them with those in there? they are all 3-hole sockets. Some have all 3 holes plugged and some only 2, that is the bottom ground socket is open. I guess I can put duck tape over them.

Thanks

Bill

4. NoteToSelfPleaseRemainCalm

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 13:43:23
    #

Login to Send PM

mrbill0626 - 32 minutes ago  » I guess I can put duck tape over them.
    Bill

The wall I shared with an infested neighbor most the outlets on it I didn't use anyway so I actually just bought solid plate covers and replaced all the outlet covers on that wall with those then caulked around them.But if u have something plugged in and need to cover just that one small hole then duct tape would work fine. I also have those child proof plugs in a few outlets that I use but don't use often. The plug seems to also cover that bottom hole and this way when I need to use them I can just take the child proof plug out and use it.

I did all this after I had bed bugs already from infested neighbor so I can't even say it worked but I like to think I might have had more had I not done these things but reality is who knows.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,290 posts in 29,425 topics over 90 months by 12,695 of 19,957 members. Latest: gatorgotbugs, huntelaar1999, gonzoateafly