Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Science: "friends" of bed bugs

(20 posts)
  1. battlinbugz

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 20 2015 18:45:31
    #

Login to Send PM

No, I don't mean those of us who are actually bed bug enthusiasts. Although you gotta admit they are some fascinating creatures on some levels, from a "creature" standpoint. I just wish their food source wasn't us.

We know there are some insects and arachnids that are hostile to bed bugs. Meaning, BB's are meals for them.

Are there any insects that are actively friendly to, or cooperative with BB's?

I will never forget the time a silverfish in my unit seemed to be leading the way for a bed bug. They couldn't have been more than 4 inches apart. Same rate of speed too. Kinda cute in a weird way.

Not a pro. I have some knowledge and a success story, both thanks to this site.
  2. Canuck

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 20 2015 22:04:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Once found a nymph, about a 2nd instar, nicely nestled in amongst carpet beetle shed skins.

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 21 2015 11:14:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I've seen instances where cockroaches and bed bugs shared harborage areas on wooden shelving. Wood not painted or stained or coated in any way, just raw.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/2321564921/

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 21 2015 12:36:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I can certainly confirm that carpet beetles will happily live in symbiosis with bedbugs. I have a few classic "high density" shots where the "snow drift" of BB cast skins it dotted with CB larval skins as they will happily consume the debris.

I am not sure sure there is a conscious partnership taking place though, more of a marriage of convenience.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 21 2015 14:25:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not sure sure there is a conscious partnership taking place though, more of a marriage of convenience.

Correct. Dermestid/carpet beetles feed on many forms of organic materials and if there's a high number of food items such as bed bug exuviae, then there will be a large number of beetle larvae and their associated shed skins.

6. BugsUpInFlames

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 21 2015 14:50:06
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 3 hours ago  » 
    I've seen instances where cockroaches and bed bugs shared harborage areas on wooden shelving. Wood not painted or stained or coated in any way, just raw.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/2321564921/

*Shudders* Looking at that picture was a big mistake. I have a terrific phobia of roaches and after last spring, bed bugs got added to the mix but pictures themselves rarely bother me....but this one did.

Formerly BeenBuggedMidoriBird
  7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 21 2015 15:40:57
    #

Login to Send PM

BugsUpInFlames - 43 minutes ago  » 
    *Shudders* Looking at that picture was a big mistake. I have a terrific phobia of roaches and after last spring, bed bugs got added to the mix but pictures themselves rarely bother me....but this one did.

Yes, I have tried getting Lou to go all graphic and cartoon but he is having non of it.

I might have to try it Manga style next time.

I can only way that if you can push through and desensitize yourself to images its a major help to anxiety. Think of it as exposure therapy.

When I first encountered bedbugs was on my first day of training as a pest controller and I am kind of glad they played the usual work trick of sending the newbie into the nightmare on day one. It was only 30 minutes after I had finished breakfast at the famous Ace cafe in North London to be told that my first job was bedbugs. Aside from the rhyme that is all I knew and yet within an hour I had tipped over a bed to find over 2,000 bedbugs looking back at me.

Call it a baptism in fire but I hope I come across as a person who enjoys a challenge.

David

8. battlinbugz

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 21 2015 17:19:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay. So there seem to be convenient arrangements of bed bugs and other critters. No seeking out of partnerships, though. I guess the silverfish thing I witnessed was a fluke or some kind of attempted eloping, against all odds.

Canuck: thank you. "Nicely nestled" makes it sound like the little one used the skins as blankets.

Lou: oh MY. That is quite graphic. But that's what we want. Straight no chaser.

BugsUp: agree with David. As you can stand it, take a look at the pics. Ramp up if you need to. Really does make you stronger. Sounds like a bumper sticker but it's the truth.

David: yeah, that's about as fiery of a baptism as you could get. I like the Manga idea too. lol

9. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2015 10:18:21
    #

Login to Send PM

So in essence what your asking is , if bed bugs threw a party who would come for the bed bugs personalities and witty repartee and who would just show up for the food?

10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2015 12:08:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I have tried getting Lou to go all graphic and cartoon but he is having non of it

Much better to see good examples of the insect so you really know what to look for. But I do understand the use of the graphics, David. So many people have said that bed bugs look like roaches, but then you have to know what roach they are speaking about before you can understand the analogy. Bed bugs look like bed bugs, so look at bed bugs to understand what they look like.

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2015 12:43:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou,

I agree but some people need a few steps before so that they can acclimatise themselves to real images.

I 100% agree that there is nothing better than real images and yours are hands down some of the best in the world but I would say that 10% of the people who call my office simply cant bring themselves to stare at real images because of their phobias.

I will see if I can have a chat with one of my Manga style cartoonists view the view to creating a "Steam Punk" Entomologist image for you.

David

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2015 13:38:20
    #

Login to Send PM

BTW, I spoke to a co-op board a few days ago. Showed them a PPT on bed bugs, a lot just ID and biology, monitoring, etc. I bring live bugs all the time. Out of the 7 people, one woman wouldn't look at them, one was sorry she did looked at them, but all agreed it was useful to really see what they're up against. Of course the most often heard statements: I did't know they were so big and I didn't know they were so small. You really don't know them until you see life stages because they're not all brown and not all the same size. Also different shapes depending on recent blood meals. The vials have shed skins, dead bugs, fecal and metabolic waste examples, egg, egg shells. No one suggested feeding (on them, not me) to see how the reaction would be. Can't have everything....

13. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2015 18:43:00
    #

Login to Send PM

In reality its not a bad looking bug.

14. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2015 20:27:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks better dead, next to it's friend...😵😵

buggy n shelly...

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  15. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 13 2015 16:11:15
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 3 weeks ago  » 
    I have a few classic "high density" shots where the "snow drift" of BB cast skins

David , would or could you post a pic of a "snow driff" ? please??

16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 13 2015 16:37:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I will PM you a link to some of them.

I have in the past found that some people have regretted looking at these images so do so in the knowledge that what you see can't be unseen.

David

17. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 13 2015 17:06:19
    #

Login to Send PM

... desensitize yourself to images its a major help to anxiety. Think of it as exposure therapy.

Yes, I think this does work for some people

18. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 13 2015 18:10:25
    #

Login to Send PM

David :
    Thanks for the link . I found the pic & info about them both very educational & very useful, I can't thank you enough. It gave me a much better understanding & view of what I'm looking for as to simple signs.
    Other than 3 skin cast & a dozen live b.bugs I've yet to see the excrement & waste or debris left behind. Haven't seen that even at work.

Other then the video's of massive infestation on like youtub, that were to busy & overwhelming to really see more than the mass of movement. Like in Lou's colony video's, altho his close up footage was much easier to see the actual activity going on.

I have seen a couple thing here@ home that after viewing the pic's has me racking my brain to recall exactly where I noticed it, to take a second look. I'm now certain I've no need to be looking for any thing like infestation or colony ,just maybe a new starter family at worst.

I have a large house & I'm not here that much ,when I am, utilizing a small faction of area.
    So I need to get busy going over less visited stuff near my localized area then branch out from there, is that the right path? and maybe down size a lot of items unneeded while at it, to reduce rechecking junk things once cleared.

Sorry to take this off topic but you gave me an eye opener :-)..
    To you & Lou , I've never been squeamish or scared by much. Just fell into the stereo type of bb newbie ,but got my free fall under control shortly after arriving here :-).
    I checked out your vedio tape test very interesting save me much time trying it.
    http://youtu.be/LIDnn34xMNg

19. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Feb 14 2015 1:15:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You may want to search for a paper by Richard Naylor where he studies an infestation of over 100,000 live samples in a one bedroom London apartment occupied by an alcoholic hoarder. The neighbors asked me to intervene and having obtained the occupants consent we lost no time setting to work. Richard had an hours head start to study while we started to de clutter. Three days later and 350 garbage bags later we started to treat.

I don't often get to sit back and be proud of a job knowing that few in the world could handle it with such a small team and a budget of only £450. Most have their time at cost out of respect for the "old boy" and we managed to get him support through the veterans organisations and a replacement bed courtesy of my parents timely redecorating. I even donated my spare sheets, pillows and duvet.

However the real pride comes from the fact that it's these projects which get presented at international meetings because the information which has been harvested has really advanced understanding of infestation dispersal.

I don't relish the easy, after years that is my groundhog. I like the elaborate, the complex and the off the scale out of control. I will see if I can add more case notes and links to files around the subject.

David

20. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 17 2015 18:55:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

To update this thread, I have just added a third gallery to the hidden section with heavy cases so if you know the secret address have another look. A few of the images are literally off the scale bad.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,831 posts in 43,552 topics over 131 months by 19,076 of 19,669 members. Latest: bedbugcrazed, HOWDY1, Bug12345678