Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Science and scents

(6 posts)
  1. battlinbugz

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 4 2014 20:26:06
    #

Login to Send PM

There seems to be agreement among the experts that our little friends love SLIGHTLY smelly human clothes (like after a light workout).

There also seems to be a lot of literature around lavender and how it repels bed bugs. I don't know how much science is around that but from what I remember reading, that goes way way back.

Cedar has also been mentioned a lot as a repellent but that seems to have mixed results.

Is there any confirmed evidence that other scents attract or repel bed bugs? For example, maybe the females like sandalwood and the males like musk, lol.

[NOTE: this is just a bio kinda question only. We know from our experts and pros here that repelling bed bugs is almost always a no-no when it comes to prevention or treatment.]

Not a pro. I have some knowledge and a success story, both thanks to this site.
  2. NY Bug Man

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 4 2014 23:48:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe its called host Kairomones (The name escapes me so forgive if i am wrong). There was a study done with clothing or pairs of socks. One pair of socks was worn and thrown into a room with 6 or 7 other socks and most of the bugs migrated toward the worn sock.
    Lou may be able to confirm this. But i am not sure of any natural oils or scents that attract them.

There are chemicals/scents that can work as repellants but not in the "ideal" way which would make bed bugs completely vacate a home. Any type of work using repellants will make the job 10x more difficult in my opinion.

Attractants make more sense than a repellant would.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2014 6:32:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I think you want to read the Stephen Kells work on aggregation of bedbugs.

Its a complex symphony of communication where there are "scents" that bedbugs aggregate to at low levels but repel from at higher concentrations. There are also host Kairomones which can attract bedbugs.

I have actually been testing a product that claims to be a attractive lure to bedbugs and sadly like much of the work out there this one has definitely been launched too early. I am waiting to be able to expand the research program with more replicates but so far the product only captured less than 15% of the bedbugs which were given no other choice but to interact with the product.

The only conclusion is that more development is needed.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. WhatBugs

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2014 11:28:09
    #

Login to Send PM

In my experience BBs will gravitate to clothing that has been worn. Say wear a shirt for an hour or so, then hang it on the closet door knob. Putting that shirt on the next day and there was a BB in it. And it occurred more then once before I figured it out.

I've never had this issue with clothes fresh from the closet. Which also goes hand-in-hand with some (many?) pro's stating to not to bother re-washing and drying clean clothes. But be sure to wash and dry on high clothes that have been worn since last washed.

There is a chemical scent that has been experimented with. Search this title:

"Effect of Trap Design, Chemical Lure, Carbon Dioxide Release Rate, and Source of Carbon Dioxide on Efficacy of Bed Bug Monitors"

by

"NARINDERPAL SINGH,1 CHANGLU WANG,1,2 AND RICHARD COOPER1"

They found that the chemical lure they used increased the efficiency:

"The experimental chemical lure mixture increased Climbup insect interceptor catch by 2.2 times."

Note that cedar and soybean oil is the active (kill) ingredients in the BBT-2000 'green' insecticide. The results in one test were decent, see the Insect article pjb linked to.

WhatBugs?

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2014 16:29:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi WhatBugs,

That would be the product I mentioned testing in the post above. For various reasons I would recommend you stick to the worn T-shirt and save the cash in your pocket for spare t-shirts. I will be able to confirm that theory better in the next month or so as I have more test replications scheduled to confirm the initial data.

David

6. WhatBugs

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Dec 6 2014 13:22:20
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 20 hours ago  » 
    Hi WhatBugs,
    That would be the product I mentioned testing in the post above.

"but so far the product only captured less than 15% of the bedbugs"

And how many did the control catch? Without that your test is meaningless in the context of the article I cited.

For various reasons I would recommend you stick to the worn T-shirt and save the cash in your pocket for spare t-shirts. I will be able to confirm that theory better in the next month or so as I have more test replications scheduled to confirm the initial data.
    David

Sorry, not t-shirts, they go right into the laundry...

WhatBugs?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,480 posts in 43,023 topics over 129 months by 18,880 of 19,439 members. Latest: summabitches, WhatAreThese, Freakedout101