Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

scars

(18 posts)
  1. bbfiend

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2009 22:50:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Question: How do I get rid of the bbbite scars?

My reaction to the bites is at the extreme end, ie, some of the welts were a whole foot long (3 bites combined into 1 long big welt). I also have extreme muscle/joint ache a couple of times from the bites.

After the itch and the welts die down, (a week or so), I am left with this dark discoloration, or coloration. I still have the these dark spots from 2 months ago, my first episodes.

My daily dose of allegra for my allergies aren't doing much to tone down the welts. The only thing I noticed that worked for me, was this chinese menthol/eucalyptus type of oil, we call it White-Flower Oil (available in any chinese herbal stores). Cheap and useful! The oil seems to tone down the welts faster and take the itch away instantly, though you need to keep applying the next time the itch comes on. For me, I've applied the oil on the bites about 3 times a day, so my itch doesn't return that quickly.

Strangely, the itch isn't as bad as the pain. Yup, the bites are painful, especially for the first 2 days.. My husband's bites are more itchy than painful though.. guess we all react differently.

Anyhow, anyone has any suggestions on how to get rid of these dark spots/patches? I have some big ones, about 4 inches across and smaller ones too, so I'm sort of glad the cooler weather is coming and I can wear covering up clothings.

Any suggestions? Thanks, this is a great site, my husband and I read it regularly, been a big source of useful info, levity (a big help!), and comfort.

2. buggedinky

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 6 2009 14:44:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your trauma! I thought my pea-sized blisters were bad, but I do not have experience with such large bad discolorations.

Without any experience, I guess I have two recommendations:
    1) See a dermitologist.
    2) Try some of the over the counter scar treatments: like Mederma (available at drugstores and at Target) or Bio-Oil Scar Treatment (available online) or ScarAway (available at Amazon.com)

3. nycbugz

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 20 2009 16:23:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I've been using Mederma for my small scars and it seems to work, but it's not immediate. Make sure to also keep your skin covered when in the sun because that will increase the darkness of your scar.

4. sandra

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 12 2009 6:19:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I would take pictures I think you all need to document all your going through. It is ashame people have to live like this.

5. bug attack

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 30 2010 11:14:45
    #

Login to Send PM

hi bbfriend, I just came across your posting.
    I am suffering from serious bb bites after a trip to NYC last weekend.
    I am so fearful if the bugs have travel with us or not into our house. My family house is big and cram with tons of clutter and we just don't know what to do. None of my 3 other family members are showing signs of bites. I am the only one who has red marks everywhere... and the worst part is more is showing up each day. I am just wondering if I am getting a delay reaction as well.... its been about 5 days since I came back.
    Also , I agree with this chinese oil you are using, I'm using the same!! the prescription cream my family doc provided is really bad. the bites were even more red after application. The white flower oil is extremely helpful, but now I'm worry about the brown spots you are mentioning ... since I have very sensitive skin as well. Did you have any resolution in the end?

6. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 30 2010 12:01:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Bug Attack...

just stopped laughing about your response to "BB Friend" I think it's "fiend" ...?%!#!

I am using cocoa butter stick...my grandmother always recommended that for little scars and it worked...you can get a tube from Walgreens..and probably other places...

i have my arms uncovered now 'cause it's just too hot to keep them covered, but i'm using sun block on them so the brown splotchy areas don't get any darker.

good luck!

7. miserableone

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 24 2010 15:54:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I am having the same problem with the dark spots where the bites used to be. I have started using the coco butter stick by palmers and will update on how it works. It has been a great comfort reading all the stories and knowing Im not alone. This isnt exactly something I can dicuss with just anyone : (

8. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 24 2010 17:02:03
    #

Login to Send PM

i still have dark splotches from prior bites and/or reactions. i was using the coco butter but my sister gave me something called shea butter? is it the same thing? i'm going to start using that. I was looking at my scars this morning before my morning shower...it's a shame to see my back, shoulders, one arm especially and top part of lower back with those unattractive dark spots. i hope they'll go away soon, but in my landlord's office the lady who manages my building was telling me that she had the bb problem also and that she still has the dark splotches even after a year! horrible.

9. Nicole120

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 16 2012 22:37:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Any update on this & how which methods have been working to prevent scars? Daily I've been using cocoa butter mixed w/shea butter, bio oil & hydrocortisone cream along with sunscreen. I still have a nasty looking deep-red welt on my leg. All the other bites have receded since I've been on Claritin for last 4 days & taking Benedryl at night, but the scars linger.

10. AshamedandScratching

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 16 2012 22:52:46
    #

Login to Send PM

This thread is about 2 years old.

(you can see the message stamp under the username.)

I had really bad reactions an I never found anything that helped beyond leaving them alone. :-/

11. bugsbugsgoaway

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 17 2012 18:26:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Has anyone gotten rid of their scars from bed bug bites fully yet?
    If so, how long did it take? I was recently bitten and I started seeing the bites a week ago. My skin had a really bad reaction to it causing my whole arm to be red and itchy. Now the itching has subsided but the bites don't seem to be getting better. Yes, they are less red but I think they are turning into a brown-ish shade? Has anyone had this before and if so, did it scar?
    How long does it take for the scars from bb to go away??

12. AshamedandScratching

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 17 2012 19:27:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Still have some? I moved out of my infestation in October. Most have faded but I felt like certain ones--especially the ones I really scratched at--lasted well into 2012. I noticed when they were gone this summer.

13. bugsbugsgoaway

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 17 2012 21:43:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the reply Ashamed and Scratching,

I made the mistake of scratching most if not all of them so I guess I'll be wearing long sleeves until then so that really sucks.

14. Nicole120

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 17 2012 22:15:52
    #

Login to Send PM

So sorry bugsbugsgoaway. Have you tried hydrocortisone cream or cocoa butter? Or Shea butter & Bio Oil. The red welts are the worst!

15. bugsbugsgoaway

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2012 14:11:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Nicole120,

No, I haven't tried them actually. Do they actually work when it comes to healing faster and returning my skin to its original, bed-bug-free state?

Thanks

16. AshamedandScratching

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2012 15:15:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I used the triple antibiotic creams to keep bites from getting the infected, but I such serious reactions that hydrocortisone didn't work. It really depends on your skin and how distressed it is.

Shea butter and bio oil are both items that expectant mothers use to prevent scarring from stretch marks. I used cocoa butter, but it had no effect on scarring in my opinion.

17. Gcitybugkillers

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 7 2012 21:34:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I use really really hot water! I've always used it on mosquito bites and that's what I thought I was getting until I recently found actual bed bugs. Over and over, I said that the mosquitoes have been so bad this year...

18. EvaHabina

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Nov 4 2016 2:44:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Bought dermalmd scar serum for my daughter who accidently scratched herself on her forehead. the cream cleared the scar up very fast. I think she used dermalmd for a couple of weeks.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,362 posts in 46,556 topics over 141 months by 20,532 of 21,395 members. Latest: Bedbugvaca, jidhvs1, Darrellkking