Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Scared to Death!!!

(12 posts)
  1. BettyV4

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2009 18:00:26
    #

Login to Send PM

After a year of infestation, 4 companies treating; Ceasur who has been our 4th and hopefully last PCO, inserted foam and gased into holes which were originally drilled this past summer. As many of you know the adjoined house to the left refuses to treat with an experienced PCO (doesn't want to spend the money)they have however; treated with some exterminating company a couple of weeks ago. I'm double stick taping the bottoms of whatever furniture is left, taping any crevices or holes I can see, using DE around the perimeter of my bed, am considering a steamer, etc... I just can't stop thinking I have bites; everywhere I go I think I see them; I'm starting an anti-depressant because I now have OCD. It's a scary place to be. I've been through the gamit with this nightmare. Any suggestions about further protecting my home? Or better yet, can you think of anything I haven't purchased or done yet? KillerQueen and David have been great. I appreciate their help. Do you guys who are going through this have any suggestions?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2009 20:10:54
    #

Login to Send PM

BettyV4,

I am neither a PCO nor a psychologist, so read this as a layperson's 2 cents:

There are two issues:

A. Bed bugs
    B. Anxiety brought on by having been through bed bugs

It sounds like you have taken steps to deal with A) and that you are in good hands. While it is possible you can get bed bugs in future, being aware of them, caulking and otherwise trying to prevent them coming in, and perhaps doing some other preventive things (as you have been having a pro do for you) are good.

There are other good PCOs here besides David and KillerQueen but I doubt anyone here is going to be able to add to what they've suggested. (I have not seen all their suggestions, perhaps, but I bet it was good advice.)

Just because you can buy or do other things, does not mean you should: there's a tendency to go overboard on this stuff, I think.

That leads us to B): anxiety, stress, worrying about bed bugs.

It happens to a lot of folks. Some have come on and told us they had therapy and it helped a lot. You said you're taking an anti-depressant, which may help, but my understanding is talking + pills helps most people more.

Some of those were told they had a condition not unlike Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Some were even told not to hang around bed bug forums (!) since they can some people more stressed about this. (Others claim the forums make them less stressed; it really is about knowing yourself and what works for you.)

You are worrying about something that could happen, it is true.
    But you have taken so many steps to rid yourself of the risk. And, at the end of the day, you have to live. If bed bugs do come back, you will be able to deal with them. Much better than the first time, I would venture, since you now know what to do and who to hire.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. dottie

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2009 21:39:21
    #

Login to Send PM

It is incredible how these insects so deeply grip our minds. This is so real and serious it ought to be addressed as a public health issue. Both the bugs and the mental health aspect.

4. buggedoff

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2009 22:15:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel for you. When I was in the thick of it all, I couldn't bring myself to read the forums as they would just stress me out even more. I had many sleepless nights and cried many tears - how could this happen to me? I have only just returned to the forum because I want to learn more about the preventative things one can do.

Life post BB is very different. I still scan the floors every time I enter a room and inspect the bed almost every night. Whenever I feel itchy, I stare intently at the area to determine whether it's a bite or not, even if it doesn't appear like my previous reactions. I am still a bit paranoid that they will come back. But as my husband says - life has to go on and you cannot let these things rule your life. Sounds like you have taken many measures to protect your home. Good work.

I am the resident expert on the issue with my friends. I know way too much about the subject than I would have liked. But I see that as a positive as I can react more swiftly than I did before when I knew nothing. God willing, I hope they are gone.

5. Omega

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2009 22:19:06
    #

Login to Send PM

dottie - 32 minutes ago  » 
    It is incredible how these insects so deeply grip our minds. This is so real and serious it ought to be addressed as a public health issue. Both the bugs and the mental health aspect.

I agree!

It has given me such horrible mental anxiety and loss of sleep.

If anyone has been following my saga, I have gone nearly 4 months without a bite, but my neighbor next door is horribly infested. They were treated yesterday and I did not get an additional treatment as I as out at the dentist when the PCO arrived. I couldnt sleep because all I could think of were these horrible bugs trying to get into my apt due to the spraying. I still sleep with the light on, even though I know it doesnt stop BB from biting, but Im so traumatized.

I feel like its just a matter of time before, their infestation seeps into my apt AGAIN!

They are throwing out their mattress and couch...but they are not very pro active. I told them that their new mattress & couch will get reinfested if they dont take precautions. They waved me off. :-/

6. Globetrotter

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 16 2010 21:13:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I am new to this forum and could use some advice. I had been living in a large Nor Cal. city for a year or so when I left a very remote appt. to move into an S.R.O. in the central city about a year ago for the conveniance (...such a stupid move) that i found to be infected with B.B.'s. Long story short, a year later and a few infected S.R.O.'s later (don't know if I was the infector of the newer rooms or if they were all messed up before I arrived but I did throw out about 95% of my belongings and washed and dried on hot everything that I could throw in a washer.) Didn't bloody seem to ever work so eventually I finally gave up on this particular Nor Cal. city (probably not hard to guess which one) I threw out the remaining 4 of 5% of my stuff, got on a Greyhound and went back home to a small town in the East where after getting off the bus I promptly took a shower with soap and alcohol, put on brand new clothes, threw the clean and dry clothing I wore for the trip in the trash along with my bag. Went to the fams house took another soap and alcohol shower washed and dried the brand new clothes I had just put on and grabbed more new items, etc. (I know this sounds obsessive as hell). The only item I kept from the W.Coast was a bible that was given to me as a going away gift at the bus station which I promptly zip locked and threw in the freezer once I got to my destination.
    Long story short, i have never even heard of such precautions being taken for a move (I literally own nothing except what ever the fam gives me and the bible in the freezer but I still have an over whelming sence of fear and dread that I might have brought this bloody evil life form into the fams. house although I haven't got the slightest idea how I could have done this. However my bites haven't completely healed and I found some marks on a younger family member (from rough housing, fleas from the cat, mosquitos, or some b@#$t@rds that hithchiked how? - in my bloody hair, in my fingernails - how would that be possible). Long story short despite the logic the marks on the kid made me feel nauceous with stress and so I suppose also motivated me to register for this site. Sorry if all of this just came across as some rambling psycho-babble but the b.b.'s litterally ran me out of town on the W.C. and my biggest aspiration in life has gone from wanting to be a hot shot artist to simply just never having to deal with the s^%t again. Also - if I after all of my precautions I still brought the problem home with me I am really screwed (how would i get out of that one - the army, becoming a traveling vagabond, suicide) Damn, first time that last idea has ever come across my mind. Any ideas?

7. Globetrotter

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 16 2010 21:15:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, didn't mean to put a question in the "reply" section. I'm not of a clear mind right now.

8. BugsInTO

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 16 2010 22:26:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I've read the bedbugs cannot be confirmed by bites alone. Sounds like you did everything you could to leave them behind (and you measures were not as over-the-top as you might think.)

Read the FAQ's on detection and do regular inspections. Try to heal and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

9. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 17 2010 12:59:33
    #

Login to Send PM

sounds like you're okay. overly cautious to throw out99% of your things, but heck. If you have fam to go to and a way to build things back up i say go for it.

I, too, threw away EVERYTHING int he bedrooms. dressers, hangars, hampers, shampoo. I kept nothing.

I don't think you brought them home. This bb issue has all of us MENTAL and paranoid.

Take some comfort in all the work you put into not traveling with them. Or, have a free inspection of the house you're in now. can't hurt. might put your mind at ease.

don't give up your dreams. don't live life worrying about bb's. easier said than done, bc i feel like my life will be like that, worrying they'll come back.

keep your head up

10. Globetrotter

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jun 20 2010 20:37:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Where does one get a free inspection?

11. Totally Bugging

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 21 2011 17:01:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so thankful i found this forum. i too am dealing withthe anxiety and depression, my skin crawls all the time, any time i see a red mark on a coworker i think they have them too..i burst into tears , i get all upbeat and positive that the exptrminator is going to perform a miracle and all will be well...its just an emotional roller coaster. i found out today the people i bought the house from found the bugs ona mattress left behind by a tenant. the house had been used as a rental before i bought it. they used bug bombs throughout the house and thought they were doing a good thing. they are going to pay half the exterminator fees, and I am really happy abouthtat, it will help tremendously.so that gives me a feeling of some relief. Sometimes i feel like im going totally insane and others im ok. then i start iching again and it all comes back. what a horrible thing to go through, i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy.

12. djames1921

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 21 2011 22:39:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Remain calm and hang in there. You have help coming and you will get through this.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,290 posts in 29,425 topics over 90 months by 12,695 of 19,957 members. Latest: gatorgotbugs, huntelaar1999, gonzoateafly