Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

"Safer" brand Diatomaceous Earth safe for indoors? + my story/advice for it?

(4 posts)
  1. thpool

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 16 2012 23:29:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I just moved out of an old apartment into a new home and didn't discover I had bed bugs until I was in the middle of moving. I went to move my bed and the bed bugs came scurrying out. I had developed what I thought was a rash up my legs the month before, but this enlightened me to what that rash really was.

Being in mid-move, I had already moved things to my new house before this discovery and simply left my bed behind. Since the move, I found a single bed bug in my futon and proceeded to discard everything I own besides my clothes, TV, car, lap top, and a dresser I inspected. I haven't seen anything since this, no new bites, but I'm extremely paranoid I brought some of these guys into my house. I washed/dried all my clothes, put infant safety plugs on all my outlets, mopped the whole house with chlorox, and have been spraying myself with 90% alcohol before bed via a little squirt bottle. I've been sleeping on a blow up mattress that I spray a barrier of "Rest Easy" brand bed bug repellent around. I keep my clothes in my basement, my room is basically just this blow up mattress in the middle. I've also placed little "debugger" glue traps around the home. My home is also entirely hardwood floors, no carpet.

Now for my question regarding "Safer brand" Diatomaceous Earth..

Has anyone had experience with using this product, and can comment on its safety/effectiveness?

I've been reading that you should use food grade DE to fight bed bugs, however this is labeled as Freshwater DE, 77.69% Silicon Dioxide is the main ingredient.

Also, can anyone comment on the effectiveness of mixing DE with water and spraying it as means of application?

At this point, psychologically, I can't think about anything but bed bugs. My work has been suffering because I'll randomly think about them then get lost in reading horror stories on the internet for an hour at a time. I wake up all through the night and feel like things are crawling on me.

I don't know if I still have them, but I know I never want them again, and if I still do, I want to save my new house before it's too late.

Thanks everyone.

2. ae94

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 16 2012 23:37:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Just ordered food grade DE, will post results when used.

Also, it's not a pesticide, I don't think it would work with water. DE is used to dry the bed bugs out. I am by no means a professional but thats the way I see it. You need to get a duster for it!

3. feellikeimgoingcrazy

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 17 2012 0:01:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, I finished my 3rd treatment 2 weeks ago. I also bought Safer Brand DE but it said for insect use. It is also 77.69% silicon dioxide which I looked up on Google and silicon dioxide is DE. The only thing is you said yours is freshwater maybe you can return it and get the insecticide one. I put it everywhere baseboards, heaters. The perimeter of the room over the heaters incase they try to come back, also in electrical outlet, light switch and the caulked it shut. Took apart bed frame and dusted that to and around feet of the frame so make sure you do everything. Again my last treatment was a 2 weeks ago so this is me taking precautions and my anxiety is slowly fading.

4. kinihatesbedbugs

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 17 2012 10:56:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi thpool...I used this product before my landlords returned from vacation. Once they returned I showed them the evidence and they got a qualified PCO to treat my place

I got a mask from dollar store and I used a paint brush, dipped it in Safer's D.Earth, dusted and applied to box spring and mattress. I also put it on the headboard, metal box spring frame. All furniture legs where it met the floor in two bedrooms. I took a plastic cup and punched small holes to sprinkle gentle on the carpet. It was on for 7 days til PCO came in to evaluate. In my case, he said it was okay to use, to try to stop them.. but honestly..additional treatment was necessary to get rid of them ASAP.

Make sure if possible use, a mask, gloves, long sleeves and long pants..I had short sleeves and my skin became very dry from the product. Plus you should not inhale it when applying.

I had to shop vac it all up before my first treatment otherwise their chemicals wouldn't work.
    Had PCO treatments 8/3 and 8/6....no live bugs, no bites.....

There's more information on the forum...
    http://bedbugger.com/2007/03/30/faqde/

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

192,863 posts in 29,743 topics over 91 months by 12,859 of 20,150 members. Latest: DarthUnit, redfruit, JEPA