Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

"Safer brand" Diatomaceous Earth from Lowes? or other cheap source (nyc) ?

(9 posts)
  1. snack

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 21 2008 0:05:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know if "Safer brand" Diatomaceous Earth is effective? It is freshwater grade stuff that I found in the garden section at Lowes. ordinarily i'm fine with garden DE -- it's about a 20th the price ($7 for 4#) of a lot of bb-specific products, and it's the same stuff. as to this particular brand, however, there were ingredients listed -- which makes me wonder if it's NOT the same stuff. ingredients read as follows:

Active Ingredients:
    Silicon Dioxide from Diatomaceous Earth - 77.69%
    Other Ingredients - 22.31%

but then again lots of things get mixed with other stuff. i wondered if maybe the "other 22%" was just desicants (to keep it active for longer), or medium (to help spread it out more thinly)? but the package also said some thing about containing "patented baits", but it just seems weird to not list those as "active ingredients". looked for an MSDS, but couldn't find one...

Is there a pro or oldtimer here who knows this product?

Or for that matter can anyone recommend somewhere else in NYC / new york city, that has cheap freshwater / food grade DE? I've seen the question asked here, but not really answered.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 21 2008 1:07:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I read this pesticide info page as saying Safer has formulations which are sold under multiple labels and names (one for garden, one for crawling pests indoors, etc); but not sure if this is one mixture with many packages, or if they are different:

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Product.jsp?REG_NR=05991300001&DIST_NR=059913

Do the label instructions on the bag you have specify it for outside use?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. snack

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 21 2008 2:28:47
    #

Login to Send PM

inside and outside. instructions for each. pictures of cockroach and earwig.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 21 2008 11:02:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I just saw a post on the yahoo Bedbugger group where Jody Gangloff-Kaufmann (a respected entomologist who specializes in bed bugs) tells someone asking about DE:

"Go to http://www.safer.com and look at their prices for Concern brand
    diatomaceous earth."

I think Jody got the URL wrong, and it looks like Concern is another brand name produced by the same Safer company:

http://www.saferbrand.com/instructions/de.asp

5. sleepingstandingup

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 22 2008 1:03:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I got my DE from a farmers hardware store. It is a LARGE bag by Concern. It states that it is used in poultry feed, as flea and tick control on animals, even internal parasites can be treated with it.

I thought it interesting that it also says that you can mix with water and spray it on. This would solve the problem of breathing the dust but be as effective once it dries. I didn't try it that way, but it makes sense.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 22 2008 1:15:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I know that snack wants a source in NYC, but for those who do want to shop online, Concern is one of the brands of DE available from our Useful Stuff page.

7. snack

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 1 2008 16:24:04
    #

Login to Send PM

just to clarify, my primary question was regarding the very dubious "ingredients" listed on the package. since i couldn't get any info here or on their useless website or msds, i bought some online.

@sleepingstandingup
    regarding your comment about mixing it with water, i would be very skeptical of this, especially since you're using it in a very different context than what those directions are meant for (i assume garden). i have always heard that moisture (along with dust) is the exact thing that renders redisual DE dust INEFFECTIVE.

many posts here talk about applying it with a paint brush -- SUPER THIN LAYER.

8. glmillan

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 4 2008 18:50:36
    #

Login to Send PM

The is an herbal/homeopathic store in the east village that carries DE. It's located n 1st ave and 9th street. I dont remember how much i paid for, but just in case of an emergency. The lady there also suggested to add it to water for mopping.

9. tisIsaidthefly

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Sep 6 2008 23:54:34
    #

Login to Send PM

There is a holistic Pet Product and Food Store on the Lower East Side of Manahttan called
    Whiskas and it's on Ninth st between First and Second Avenue. They sell Diatomaceou Earth for fifteen dollars a bag. I was wondering about that myself, if dampness ruins the effectiveness because I seem to get bitten more when it's damp and rainy out.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.