(6 posts)
  1. JimM

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 3 2011 18:43:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey All,
    I noticed a bug on my bed last week, and being the humanitarian (idiot, in this case) I am, I let it go. it was a little guy, dark brown but with yellow on it. From looking at bed bug pictures, I do not believe it to be a bed bug, as I also have no bites (Though, I know many people do not react to the bites). Then, this week I had to kill two of this same kind of bug. My paranoia, though, led me to researching bed bugs and I learned of the feces stains on beds. I searched mine and found a large areas that did have rust colored stains coming from where the string handles on the side of the mattress are (It has an opening from lugging the mattress around, so I'm concerned that that's where potential bed bugs could be hiding). These stains are grainy and all located in one spot (like someone threw a bunch of grainy, light brown stuff on my mattress). Do the stains usually only appear in one spot like mine? To further complicate things, I am a college student who sleeps on a mattress on top of another mattress. The older one belonged to a roommate who moved out and left the mattress. I think I remember seeing the stains on his bed before, but they have almost leaked onto the other (his mattress is the top one, my new one is the base mattress). So, what is the texture of bed bug feces stains? Will they come right off? i ask this because these stains seem to be easily removed and I heard bed bug stains are not. I can't post a pic, but when I can I certainly will. I'm just looking for some peace of mind here. Any help would make me eternally grateful!

2. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 3 2011 19:28:12
    #

Login to Send PM

dark brown but with yellow on it

Google for "carpet beetle"

3. JimM

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 4 2011 0:30:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Those don't appear to be the culprits. I think the bugs were *hopefully* just a few strays. But back to the rust stain question: What is the texture of the BB feces? Can it appear stringy? Is it absorbed into the mattress itself or can it dry on the outside and appear almost like tobacco?

4. newtactics

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 4 2011 6:24:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Jim, 'a picture paints a thousand words', I'm sure if you put a pic up people will jump to comment on the stains

5. scaredinnyc

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2011 11:14:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I am trying to figure this out as well. What is the "texture" of fecal stains? do they come off easily if you scratch them? or do they mainly absorb into fabric?

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2011 11:19:21
    #

Login to Send PM

scaredinnyc - 3 minutes ago  » 
    I am trying to figure this out as well. What is the "texture" of fecal stains? do they come off easily if you scratch them? or do they mainly absorb into fabric?

That depends on the surface they are deposited on.

If porous they will soak in, if non porous they will sit as balls on the surface.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,317 posts in 29,433 topics over 90 months by 12,699 of 19,961 members. Latest: Steve Tidebeck, axl82580, WakingBad