Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Risk of exposure, feeling nervous. What are my odds?

(5 posts)
  1. no_bugs_plz

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 11 2014 18:18:41
    #

Login to Send PM

My friend just arrived back from a hostel.

Before he left a few days ago, he had to move all of his stuff into my home due to lease ending. I'm not worried about exposure form his stuff to mine, he washes his sheets regularly and knows to look for spots.I've also slept over there many nights and haven't had any signs.

He left for the weekend to his hostel. The hostel itself hasn't had a bed bug review, it isn't on the registry. He checked his mattress thoroughly, but was too shy too ask his companions too. He agreed to shower and let me bring his clothes to laundry right after he arrived back. We searched his duffel thoroughly, and did our best with his backpack.

I can't shake the feeling that we missed something and my home will be infested. Does anyone have any advice or words of comfort. I'm sorry if this the wrong forum.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 12 2014 2:16:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Lots of people visit hotels and hostels every day and don't bring home bed bugs -- even if the hostel or hotel does have some present. So try not to panic.

It's good to treat items and luggage brought by travelers. I run my luggage through a Packtite when I come home from a trip. A hot dryer can work for clothing and soft luggage. Other luggage and items which can't go in the dryer might be treated with other methods.

Again I stress that without any reason to think he has been exposed, these are just precautions.

Bed bug monitors and learning how to detect and identify bed bugs are two other approaches you should consider. We have a FAQ on bed bug monitors and FAQs showing you how to inspect a room and what bed bugs look like. Click the Bed Bug FAQs link at the top of the page and let me know if you have trouble locating anything in particular.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. no_bugs_plz

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 13 2014 7:29:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your kind words.

I worry that packtite's are a fire hazard. Have you had any "close calls" with them?

Would putting little plates of DE or flour under the legs of my bed be a good monitor as well?

4. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 13 2014 11:28:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey there. Not an expert, but a fairly long time forum reader. I haven't heard any reports of a PackTite being a fire hazard, and never had any problems with mine.

5. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 13 2014 12:20:08
    #

Login to Send PM

no_bugs_plz - 4 hours ago  » 
    I worry that packtite's are a fire hazard.

buggyinsyracuse - 48 minutes ago  » 
    Hey there. Not an expert, but a fairly long time forum reader. I haven't heard any reports of a PackTite being a fire hazard, and never had any problems with mine.

There is/was a recall for the original PackTite due to a VERY SMALL number of units having problems. I do have the original PackTite and have never had a problem with mine (and have accidently left it running overnight ssssshhhh!)! However, there are other models available and I believe they have addressed the problem with the heater on the original PackTite and I am, therefore, confident (as a consumer only mind you) that if you were to purchase a new PackTite . . . there is NO fire hazard when used correctly . . . and they are AMAZING!!

http://bedbugger.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/PackTite-Recall.pdf

http://bedbugger.com/2013/12/12/important-manufacturer-recalls-some-original-packtites/

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

273,464 posts in 44,760 topics over 136 months by 19,640 of 20,340 members. Latest: Hellobabies, Njpleasehelp, WaterBedBugs