Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Ring-shaped bruise?

(14 posts)
  1. brooklynscott

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 9:38:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I know it's almost impossible to discuss bites w/o any physical evidence, but...woke up with something on my arm that makes me nervous.

It's a ring-shaped bruise, a bit over 1/4 inch in diameter. The center is not discolored, but there is a reddish-purplish ring around that normal skin-colored center. It hurts like a bruise if I press it.

I've seen small spiders in my apartment and this seems like a spider bite, possibly, but I can't find a red center in the middle or a red dot...

There's just a single one of these on my arm.

Do bed bug bites ever present like this, or does this sound like something else (another insect, something else entirely)? I have a BB Alert Passive monitor on my bed and have not seen any signs of BBs...(I never had an infestation, just paranoid.)

2. brooklynscott

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 9:56:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Probably no better with a photo, but here's one anyway:

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/63273528@N06/6035604544/

3. brooklynscott

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 10:21:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Now it's changed a slight bit and there does appear to be a dark center right in the middle...

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/63273528@N06/6035641616/

4. Koebner

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 10:24:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice.

Lots of ordinary bruises look like that. It's not unusual to see a bruise pattern where the discolouration is deepest at the outer edge. You say you can't find a bite site associated with the discolouration, which does make it seem less likely to be a bite.

It's easy to pick up a superficial bruise without noticing the blow. If though, you start showing a lot of bruising from impacts you don't notice; it might be a good idea to get your iron levels checked. It's surprisingly easy to become a little anaemic. The good news is that dark chocolate high in cocoa-solids can form part of the cure.

5. brooklynscott

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 10:29:29
    #

Login to Send PM

That makes me feel A LOT better. I was actually thinking it could be an old-fashioned bruise, but the pattern (sort of normal colored in the center, then 'bruise' colored in a ring) led me to think it was a bite...for some reason I didn't think 'normal' bruises looked like this. It's also sort of near my funny bone, i.e. an easy place to bang on a doorframe or whatnot.

6. brooklynscott

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 10:30:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Koebner--you're going based on the photos I posted, yes? Sometimes I have issues posting Flickr links and getting them to work

7. Koebner

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 10:59:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep, I'm going by your photos & the central discoloration in the second pic looks blue/ purple on my monitor which again makes me think more bruise than bite. I've had lots of knocks where the superficial element of the bruise, ie, that around the outside develops first - the blood from the burst capillaries is forced outward by the original blow & shows up first - and the central area of impact shows up afterwards.

Examining one's own elbows is as awkward as licking them. Try getting a friend to examine it closely, with a magnifying glass if possible, with especially regard to finding any bite mark. Colour calibration on computer monitors varies a lot, so though what I'm seeing looks like a bruise; that's no substitute for real-life examination.

You needn't tell your friend you're worried about BBs, tell them you're worried it's a tick bite & you're having a Lyme disease reaction. Check out some pics of the "target" or "bullseye" bite reaction common in such cases, just to rule it out. It really doesn't look like that to me, but as I say, I'm not a doctor, I'm not seeing the real thing, & I don't know if you've been anywhere where you might pick up a deer tick, so better safe than sorry.

8. jrbtnyc

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 13:17:01
    #

Login to Send PM

See the Lyme threads...

http://bedbugger.com/forum/tags/lyme

...and make sure what bit you wasn't a deer tick leading to possible Lyme disease which is a serious and chronic illness, but avoidable if you go for treatment relatively soon.

9. brooklynscott

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 15:26:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Ahg, as a serious hypochondriac I feel loathe to open that can of worms...does it resemble a Lyme's bite? I thought that would be more of a 'bull's eye' look with sort of two rings...I have not been in the woods or near the woods all week (been in New York City)...

10. so unsettling

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 16:11:11
    #

Login to Send PM

How are flicker photos accessed? I never can see anything linked here from flicker.

11. Koebner

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 18:51:44
    #

Login to Send PM

brooklynscott - Like I said, it really doesn't look like a Lyme reaction - see your PMs for details.
    Only mentioned it because your title for this thread might pick up people searching for info on their own ring-shaped skin reactions.

12. brooklynscott

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2011 18:25:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Now I feel like I'm going nuts...have another sort of similar bruise-type thing on my ankle. Photo here:

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/63273528@N06/6043723936/

This is on my shin,a nd I just took a 30 mile bike ride, so it's highly likely I knocked my shin and caused a bruise...but I'm still a little nervous.
    Could someone weigh in here? The center part (that is not red or irritated...the center of the 'ring' in other words) is sensitive and feels like a bruise when pressed. There is NO itching or other sensations in the area. I'm guessing that if this were a bed bug bite (or any type of bed bug bite), with an appearance like this, that there would at least be some itching r discomfort? Instead, the only sensation I'm getting a bruise-like pain, which leads me to hope that it's actually...you know...a bruise.

13. blargg

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2011 18:55:05
    #

Login to Send PM

brooklynscott - 28 minutes ago  » 
    Now I feel like I'm going nuts...have another sort of similar bruise-type thing on my ankle. Photo here:
    http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/63273528@N06/6043723936/
    This is on my shin,a nd I just took a 30 mile bike ride, so it's highly likely I knocked my shin and caused a bruise...but I'm still a little nervous.
    Could someone weigh in here? The center part (that is not red or irritated...the center of the 'ring' in other words) is sensitive and feels like a bruise when pressed. There is NO itching or other sensations in the area. I'm guessing that if this were a bed bug bite (or any type of bed bug bite), with an appearance like this, that there would at least be some itching r discomfort? Instead, the only sensation I'm getting a bruise-like pain, which leads me to hope that it's actually...you know...a bruise.

Looks like a straight-up bruise to me. I have one similar... I got hit with a tennis ball.

14. brooklynscott

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2011 18:58:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh and I forgot to mention the center part (within the red ring) is slightly raised...which I guess would also be the case for a bruise

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

199,881 posts in 30,990 topics over 94 months by 13,433 of 20,838 members. Latest: idne25, scared jenny, brooklynbitezzz